Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Here's a clip of his swing after 30 minutes of drills on the impact bag and with the speedchain.

Here's the comparison of the frame after impact in before and after swings.

impact comparison.jpg

Senior Member Major Winner

Hip turn looks less in the 2nd one but the left arm is better?

On the photo on the left, it shows you moving everything to the left - you hips, shoulder, hands and the club. BOTH your hips and shoulders are way open and you are PULLING the hands to the left as well.

The photo on the right shows some difference in the shoulders and hips alightment. The hips have cleared left but the shoulders are more square and you are now swinging more down the line. You've got more extension through impact now.

The left arm being straighter is an effect, not the cause. ie. you didn't TRY to keep the left arm straighter, did you?

Work on the impact bag drills I showed you and I'll see you next Tuesday.
    Last edited by Jono; 15th November 2011 at 09:44 PM.

Ok boss, will do.

Nice one Jono, looks much better.

Start of week 2 of our 4 week challenge.

Today's session was held in my garage/gym as it was raining and generally miserable outside.

I wanted to build some speed and dynamic movement into Tony's swing. I got him hitting a large soft impact target instead of a golf ball. The idea of this was to free his mind from the golf ball.

I used the swing speed radar to measure the clubhead speed.

At the beginning of the session, I asked him to hit the impact target hard as he could. He driver clubhead speed topped out at 82mph.

We started by working on quickening his backswing tempo a bit. His tempo was more like 1-2-3-and-4 where 1 to 3 is backswing, "and" is transition" and 4 is downswing to impact. We changed his tempo to 1-2-and-3 where impact was at 3.

I got Tony to swing a light club and to make some swishes. The louder he began to make his swishes, his swing was becoming more athletic naturally. He was sustaining his lag better and his swing began to have a sequence (or kinetic chain, if you like) instead of the body and the arms moving together and dragging everything left.

Anyway, by the end of the session, he was swinging his own driver around 90-95mph consistently and maxed out at 101mph.

Now gain of over 10mph within an hour sounds pretty impressive. However, all I've done is trick his brain into letting his body move faster. His body could already swing the club at 100mph. His mind was slowing him down.
    Last edited by Jono; 22nd November 2011 at 08:08 PM.

I'll be interested to see how I go hitting a ball now though! Hopefully the rain eases up so we get a range session in on the weekend!

Well I've had 2 sessions with Jono since the last report from him.

First session was on Saturday at the driving range off mats under cover. This session was good to see if I could translate the extra swing speed I was generating in Jono's shed into practice with a ball. Measured driver speed was still in the mid 90 MPH range which was good for me! In terms of ball flight, good shots and bad shots, I guess a fair bit of spraying, but I remember hitting 3 dead straight down the middle in a row towards the end of the session which kept me happy. After that session I had been drilling releasing the club properly and closing the clubface properly as opposed to flipping. I think the session at the range really got through to me how I should be going through the ball, I guess a lightbulb moment for me personally if you want to call it that!

Second session was this evening, off grass, at a different driving range (I think the guy running the place hates us but another story for another time). Started off with PW to warm up. Took out the 7 iron and pow. I was getting crazy distance (at least for me) and hit a few massive draws. Focus this session was on keeping the quicker tempo and swing speed but also to concentrate on releasing properly, down and through the ball. Took out driver as well and Jono's swing speed meter and most drives were 95MPH and above, hit 2 which were 101MPH and 102MPH so I cracked the 100MPH mark which was one of my goals for this session. And they flew! So pretty happy at the end of this session and quite optimistic about the changes so far. The take home messages for me from this session were shoulders and extension, in particularly extending to the right of the target as opposed to my usual pull the whole body around to the left. That still comes out now and then but I'll be drilling the extension for the next few days.

So halfway through Jono's 4 week program. Pretty happy with the results so far, and will be interested to see the changes at the end vs the original swing!

Tony hit some fantastic shots today. Completely different shot shape to what he used to hit. 7 iron flew at least 20m further than before. The impact sound was different too.

Tony is the most inflexible skinny Asian I've ever met. (sorry Tony ... ) His tendency is for his upper body to move together with his hips on the downswing through impact. The drills I showed him today was to create some upper body/lower body differential. When he got it right, he hit nice draws with a bit of zing in it.

The other thing I told him was not to revert to his old swing to get a better contact. The better contact will come as his body gets used to the new swing. As Ben Doyle said in his video, even if you miss the ball, keep concentrating on getting the correct motion and the results will come.

What, I can't be the most skinny inflexible person you've ever met. Besides I don't know if I can be classed as skinny, my BMI is almost 25.

Member Teaching Pro

Awesome to hear you're fixing your girly swing Tony. Haha.

Looks like the grange driving range in your before and after shot?
    Ping G15 9º driver
    Taylormade R9 15º 3 wood
    Taylormade Rescue 11 18º hybrid
    Bridgestone J33 combos 4 - PW
    Cleveland CG15 52º
    Cleveland CG16 56º
    Scotty Cameron Studio Laguna 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
    Awesome to hear you're fixing your girly swing Tony. Haha.

Looks like the grange driving range in your before and after shot?
    Yep, that's the place. I think the guy hates me, we always get there late and stay until they tell us to leave! Plus he came and gave some thoughts on the things we were doing haha! They weren't positive thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Peppas View Post
    Plus he came and gave some thoughts on the things we were doing haha! They weren't positive thoughts!
    That happened during our first session when I was showing Tony how to lag the club. I was showing him how to sustain the lag through impact. I was getting him to exaggerate it so he could feel the difference. The owner of the range who happens to be a teaching pro came up to us and spent 20 minutes (time that we could have used to finish the bucket of balls) telling us that it was rubbish. He was showing us pictures of pros and how it was different from what I was getting Tony to do. I think he said to the effect "what you are doing is cricket, not golf".

Anyway, the results speak for themselves. Tony's swinging 15-20mph faster with a better shot shape in 2 weeks. Pretty good for a "cricket swing".

Member Teaching Pro

Doesn't matter how you hit the ball as long as you get it in the hole. Played a few holes the other day with a guy who hit the ball like a cave man. Looked like he was swinging a baseball bat. Needless to say he was better than me.

Looking at Tony there is no reason why Tony couldn't swing the driver 100+mph. I'll be devastated if he out drives me next time we play.
    Ping G15 9º driver
    Taylormade R9 15º 3 wood
    Cleveland CG15 52º
    Cleveland CG16 56º

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
    Looking at Tony there is no reason why Tony couldn't swing the driver 100+mph. I'll be devastated if he out drives me next time we play.
    Looking at your avatars, I thought you guys were shaft snapping monsters who swing the driver 140 mph+ ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Looking at your avatars, I thought you guys were shaft snapping monsters who swing the driver 140 mph+ ...
    Nah mine was from the boot of my car

Member Teaching Pro

Mine was from a dodgy stock shaft... I mean my massive swing speed.
    Ping G15 9º driver
    Taylormade R9 15º 3 wood
    Cleveland CG15 52º
    Cleveland CG16 56º

Met Tony again today at my house and worked on some drills for an hour and a half in the garage.

Now that Tony knows how to swing faster, I wanted to slow his swing down and work on correct sequence of the downswing. First 30 minutes was theory work and I showed him some tour swings on youtube to illustrate what I was saying. We did set of 3 drills again and again for 45 minutes and then I let him do some full speed swings. The results were encouraging.

Into our last week of the 4 week challenge.
    Last edited by Jono; 7th December 2011 at 08:16 PM.

Last week of drills and then video next week I think!

Jono took some ugly looking video today. I'm still struggling to execute some of his concepts but when I do it comes off well.

Tony, you've done well in the last four weeks. I'll post up the video tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Tony, you've done well in the last four weeks. I'll post up the video tomorrow.
    Thanks mate, but I still have alot to learn/try and master/get more flexibility so it all hurts less. You must be tired of hearing me moaning between shots. Haha. Thanks for spending all that time with me though, it's definitely helped!

It was my pleasure, Tony. I'll try to post up the video on Monday. Flat out this weekend with work.

Your good shots now have a "crack" sound ... sound of good compression of the golf ball. Your shots didn't have that sound before. You didn't have a draw before either which you now do albeit inconsistently. Keep on practising and you'll get there.

I'm guessing Jono's been busy so no videos yet All good though. Had a few rounds since the last time we met up and I can honestly say that my drives have been much longer. One guy I play with fairly regularly even commented that I'm definitely swinging faster. I even feel like I've gained 10m with each club in terms of irons but that might just be wishful thinking

However probably now and then old habits do creep back in but I can generally recognise this and try and do a few of the drills Jono gave me to try and correct it a bit. I think/hope I am somewhere between where Jono wanted and the old swing, probably due to my lack of flexibility and my inherent laziness (Jono's words, I just added inherent haha). I will definitely keep doing the drills (especially the sequencing one and the release/impact bag one) and see how the swing goes. Thanks Jono.

PS I shot 85 around Shell Cove in a comp on Tuesday woo! Couldn't follow it up yesterday but at least I know I can do it.

Thread Information