Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    goughy

Default Are concert ticket prices out of control?

Now I don't bother with them much as they're out of my price range these days. I always said I'd pay anything to see the Stones and my 99 buck tickets years ago even pushed it for me. But today I got an email from Showbiz about Miley Cyrus tickets. Now, what is the average age of one of her fans? 15 maybe? Well, the email advertises tickets starting from $147ea. Am I just old or Holy Shit.......

As an aside, the first concert I saw was Billy Joel in '86 (was about 15 myself) I think it was, and tickets were about $35. Is that comparable to today? And back then it was just one price where ever you sat, none of this silver/gold/platinum seat pricing.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I would've seen Roxy Music recently but not for $120.

goughy

Oh man!!!!! With Paul Thompson on drums or Andy Newmark (one of my fav drummers of all time). I drive clikchic nuts blaring out my dvd of Roxy Music live in '83.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Not for the type of bands I see. However I am lucky enough to know some of the right people if I do happen to want to see a "mainstream" act!
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I think I paid nearly $180 for Spandau Ballet, but we were about eight rows from the front and got them in the pre-sale. Maiden was around $150 and happy to pay that, its really what you want to pay to see a band.

Definitely not like the old day of the oils at the perth entertainment centre for $9.96
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

You can only go to concerts for your favourite acts now. It has to be thought of as a treat for yourself.

Gigs at smaller venues are still very affordable if you can find the right act. I've paid about $30 to go see Miami Horror in the Valley in a few months time.

I think artist are trying to make up lost revenue from piracy by jacking up ticket prices
    I don't mind paying top dollar depending on artist
    It only really becomes a issue if a few gigs are on sale around the same time.I had to miss out on seeing STP
    Recently because I had already spend $300 odd in the preceding weeks

The "big name" tickets are stupid expensive. $150 i paid for my old man's ticket for Jimmy Buffet earlier this year. He's not even a big name in this country, and they're asking stupid prices..... But they sell out, so it's the consumers to blame for paying those prices. I paid over $100 to see Dave Matthews twice. But i also went to see them at B&R on the friday night for $40 (but only a 1hr set) Outside of DMB i've avoided paying the crazy prices. If you see the local talent and get in early you can get better shows and save money. I've seen plenty of now big names for cheap just by getting in early. If you want to see bands: be prepared to travel and do it on the cheap. You'll get a better result.

I got trigger happy on DMB as an aus tour was unexpected, and i didn't like my chances of getting to see him again...... stupid really, plenty of opportunity.
    Last edited by kpac; 5th April 2011 at 06:48 PM.
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

I paid $150 for U2 at Subi. That was worth it. They still crank out a massive show for the money.

Miley's dreaming.

We should be getting loads of Touring internationals considering the strength of the AUD....
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

I think I went to the same Billy Joel tour as Goughy, but I can't remember the last time I saw an artist perform in a big venue; probably ten years ago. Just doesn't do it for me. Anything bigger than a pub and I'm out, and I'm too old to go and see a band at a pub now.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by kpac View Post
    I paid over $100 to see Dave Matthews twice.
    Your on my hate list too now!!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I've paid $97 to go to Disturbed at the end of the month, Paid $100 for Muse, and $155 for SoundWave. SoundWave was worthwhile, with Iron Maiden, Slash and quite a few other big names there,
    TM R1 - Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TXTaylor Made 200 Tour 15 Prolite 35X Taylor Made 300Forged 2 Iron Rifle 6.0 Nike Victory Red TW 3-PW Project X 6.0 Nike VR 52°, Vokey SM7 58/12Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5/ Prototype Cameron Long Neck

I paid $100 to see Foo Fighters, but that was for charity so it's all good. Festivals don't really count as they are a whole day's entertainment.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Our daughter gifted Robyn and I tickets to see Harry Styles last night on the Goldie (lovely daughter).
    She herself had had tickets for his prior oft postponed then cancelled tour, so for this one she was able to get in early and for the tickets she wanted for herself. But then she thought "mum would love to see him too", so went back in to get us tickets!
    And she could see as the tickets were selling out, the price of the tickets from the ticket agency was going up and up and up!
    Initially tickets in b reserve and C reserve were about $155 and $105 respectively. Now, I actually can't be completely sure which or seats were, but we were up near the very top about 2/3s of the way around the stadium so they very well could have been C reserve (I know she was looking for the cheapest she could get) get) and they cost her nearly $200ea!!

Now, I'm not a big fan of how expensive concerts have gotten, but it is what it is. But this whole process of officially increasing ticket prices as tickets sell out and demand increases is really taking the piss! Sure, you don't have to pay the prices and the easiest thing would be for everyone to just boycott tickets whose price has jumped, but that won't happen. It just feels like it's preying on the desperation of those struggling to get through. And a real kick in the arse considering how often you seem to hear of ticket agencies services going down due to "overwhelming demand".
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Major Winner

Last time I paid for a ticket to a concert I went to they were under $100. Yes it was some time ago.
    Recently paid $190 for a ticket to a KPop concert in Sydney for little Miss Hatch.
    Little Miss Hatch’s best friends mother did the ticket purchases so don’t know if the price was changing while she was on line. I do know the concert sold out in around 30min and second show was put on and went up for sale a day or 2 after.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

The bride dropped the best part of $900AUD on some British ranga playing in Toronto next month. You'd think an accountant would be cluey enough to understand how exchange rates work.

Prick better be good!
    Forum needs more banter.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    The bride dropped the best part of $900AUD on some British ranga playing in Toronto next month. You'd think an accountant would be cluey enough to understand how exchange rates work.

Prick better be good!
    Mick Hucknall and Simply Red? I wouldn't pay that much for him (although I did them back in their 80's heyday and they were quite good).
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Psuedo Echo @ the Metro.
    $48 a ticket

Job done.

Fan of the keytar Virge?

Have a memory of seeing them at the old Hotel Manly before it made way for a block of units.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Fan of the keytar Virge?

Have a memory of seeing them at the old Hotel Manly before it made way for a block of units.
    Looks like i am now..

Dylan Moran was $80 at State Theatre and awful. So i guess you take good with the bad.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I just asked to buy 4 tickets for Cold Play concert in Jakarta for some relatives ( because apparrently the online waiting queue is enormous but not for overseas buyers.)

$450 each for freestanding general area 😮
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I wouldn't see Coldplay if they paid me $450

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    I wouldn't see Coldplay if they paid me $450
    I wasn’t a big Coldplay fan, but got to see then a while back.

Easily, one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. They are an amazing live band.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I've also heard that they are great live.

Thread Information