Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HOG QLD Gone?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default HOG QLD Gone?

anyone hear/read the rumors that HOG in QLD have gone bankrupt? http://www.iseekgolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7136
    TM R1 - Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TXTaylor Made 200 Tour 15 Prolite 35X Taylor Made 300Forged 2 Iron Rifle 6.0 Nike Victory Red TW 3-PW Project X 6.0 Nike VR 52°, Vokey SM7 58/12Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5/ Prototype Cameron Long Neck

I actually work for House of Golf and have heard rumours that House of Golf is closing down, etc and it is not true, we have had no word whatsoever that HOG has gone bankrupt (in QLD and NSW), as far as we know, everything is fine.

Nick

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

From what I heard the franchiser has gone.

The name not the stores cause they'd be seperate owners.

Terry.

No, no, no.

What happened was that it was formely Big John's House of Golf, but Big John is gone so it is now just The House of Golf.

Nick

HOG QLD is under administration. this happened about 2 weeks ago I believe. All the francise stores are owned by the same person in QLD and the company that owns them is under administration.

I know of at least one supplier who is owed about 100k

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

does this mean we can expect some bargains to pop up in these stores soon
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

There's always a bargain at House of Golf, "We'll do you a deal"LOL

Nick

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

well, there you go - I heard this story from a supplier two/three weeks back... and didn't think there was anything in it. Geez, sometimes these guys actually do know what they are talking about.... who would have guessed...
    Cheers,
    Golfgirl

I discovered the truth today guys.

Vardon (who HOG buys all its clubs off, they don't go through the manufactorer) has gone bankrupt, they owe money to many brands, a lot to Taylormade, but HOG is fine.

Nick

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by nickthejunior
    I actually work for House of Golf and have heard rumours that House of Golf is closing down, etc and it is not true, we have had no word whatsoever that HOG has gone bankrupt (in QLD and NSW), as far as we know, everything is fine.

Nick
    Nick, which store??
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Update from a HoG owner;

One of the directors of HoG is apparently is some trouble, but this doesn't directly affect HoG stores, and he doesn't own all of the QLD stores outright. What it means though it that stores have to re-finance, find new backing/guarrantor etc.

The owner of the Parra HoG is selling the franchise for a few reasons, largely because of a better offer in a warmer climate and being 'over' Sydney - know the feeling. But after chatting about the state of the nation, you might tend to wonder what else is at play.

His nearest competitors have large parking areas (Drummond @ Northmead, Golf Mart @ Lidcombe) and massive stores, so while he's still making money it's time to move on. I expect that the franchise will remain in Parramatta though with the new owners.

So don't expect massive liquidation sales or panic fire sales in the near future, but i don't think they're out of the woods yet. I get the feeling sometimes that this particular store owner is a member of these online forums, just have to wonder who it is....

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan

Nick
    Nick, which store??
    Narrabeen House of Golf.

Nick

Legend of OZgolf Touring Pro (European Tour)

Nick
    Nick, which store??
    Narrabeen House of Golf.

Nick
    Hey Nick,

How come HOGMART isn't working at the moment?

http://www.houseofgolf.com.au/
    RIP 1974-2006

It's really outdated, I think their updating it

Nick

Legend of OZgolf Touring Pro (European Tour)

Nick
    What if I want to find out if a putter is available still?
    RIP 1974-2006

I heard yesterday that this will effect every store and that a HEAP of cash is owned (a couple of million). I now don't know what to believe as the stories all seem mixed up. Most of what I hear is from industry people who are owed money

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

looks like we'll just have to wait and see how this all pans out

sounds like a bit of a mess to me
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

To expand a little further - and this is completely heresay, but one of the ex-owners is 'part of the problem'.

The guy that sold me my clubs (and subsequently presented me with the set I won) sold his store some time ago and still has his own store elsewhere. Something went stinky somewhere along the lines, and it sounds like there is/was a court case, and as a result he is owed money.

My guess? He was promised minimal expansion/territory rights and that was breached, and he's taken them to the cleaners.

That's my read - and no one elses in case this becomes some sort of crude 'Chinese Whispers'.

Quote Originally Posted by jaster

Nick
    What if I want to find out if a putter is available still?
    I'd say call up the phone number of the shop (if you know which one) or contact the guy who runs HOGMART through email.

Nick

To expand a little further - and this is completely heresay, but one of the ex-owners is 'part of the problem'.

The guy that sold me my clubs (and subsequently presented me with the set I won) sold his store some time ago and still has his own store elsewhere. Something went stinky somewhere along the lines, and it sounds like there is/was a court case, and as a result he is owed money.

My guess? He was promised minimal expansion/territory rights and that was breached, and he's taken them to the cleaners.

That's my read - and no one elses in case this becomes some sort of crude 'Chinese Whispers'.
    Which HOG was it?

What I found out:

HOG NSW is considoring joining with HOG Queensland (who are doing great), HOG NSW is currently joined with HOG QLD.

It was actually the company that HOG buys all its stock off that was the problem, that company being Vardon, they are bankrupt and owe a lot of money, including to HOG NSW.

I'll keep you posted with anything else I hear.

Nick

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Dropped into HOG in Edward st Brisbane last week and the shop has been cut in half.
    The other half is a 7 eleven.
    What used to be a pretty spacious and cool store is now a "don't bother".
    Put it this way I hope they don't own a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by ben
    http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?acn=006_520_770&juris=9&hdtext=ACN&srchsrc =1
    Ben,

This tells me that Vardon appointed an administrator, and a week later that administrator was removed/resigned from the job?

Either it's not as bad as we're led to believe, or it's much much worse What's your read?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1
    The other half is a 7 eleven.
    Good! We need another 711 in the Brisbane City.

Didn't Golf World close down in the city within the last year as well?

Thread Information