Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Matchplay - Amanda v Jimandr, Bardwell Valley, 17 Jul 11:06a

Jim brought this up just recently - Gary (customclubmaker) is unable to play his match, so he's offered me a lifeline of sorts.  I'm not sure if this is allowed and I'm sure we'll argue at length.

But just in case it does get through, I'm trying to organise a game - current details:

Sunday 17th July
    Location - I'll have to call around, but I'm pretty sure there are open days at Bexley and Liverpool.  Not sure where else would be close for both of us (no offence Jono but I don't really want to head north).  Any ideas?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Re: Matchplay - Amanda v Jimandr 17(?) July

Quote Originally Posted by amanda
    I'm not sure if this is allowed and I'm sure we'll argue at length.
    Mandy, I'm pretty sure that this is exactly what the "rules" say.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I'm too lazy to look up the rules (yet, I'll do so anyway after I post this message just to check), but as the person getting the benefit of the forfeit, I think it's my call whether I accept the forfeit or allow the loser of the previous game to take the place of the winner.

I want to play, rather than get a cheap path through to the semi-final.

On to the potential venue: Sunday 17 July is fine by me, and we should try to get a minimum of one full four person group, at anywhere that we can get on. I haven't played Bexley for over 10 years, so I'm happy to go there. Liverpool is a possible, maybe Glenmore or Penrith could also be a chance. The challenge at this time of year is to find a course with gaps in the field accepting visitors.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

I just checked the rules.

Rule 4 says (I don't know how to do 'quotes' so I copy and pasted this)

"After round 1, any player who withdraws from the event, his previous opponent takes his place - time permitting."
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I want to play, rather than get a cheap path through to the semi-final.
    thats pretty much the reason that condition was used. If someone forfeits during the event, then one might say they shouldnt have played in the first place and has taken someone elses spot.

thats sort of the gist, the vibe, the guts of it.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thanks guys - Brad should also be able to play - I'll have to make up an OzG username for him to register on the new function AndyP has put together.

I'll put in a call to Bexley tomorrow afternoon to see if it will be an open comp on the 17th.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

about time brad got a word in anyway.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Good luck Amanda. Looks like you've got a second life in the matchplay champs. If you want to shake Jim a bit, ask him how he lost 7 and 6 to me at Riverside Oaks. Ask him specifically about the 3 topped shot into the water on the 12th.

The three topped fairway woods don't unsettle me enormously, but the half a dozen other penalty shots and the 8 three putt greens still have traumatic memories.

Nobody should ever concede me a three foot putt

Bexley is an open comp - bookings taken 1 week before - I'll call up and book us in.

What time preferred? After 9.30am? I know Jim doesn't like early morning starts.

Cost will be $20.

Quote Originally Posted by amanda
    I know Jim doesn't like early morning starts.
    Isn't that a good reason to make it an early start, Mandy?
    A good way to get a couple of holes up early.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Amanda

You may not get on Bexley that day or the tee times might just be a little limited, I am playing pennants there that day B & C grade not sure of the times yet.

Don't you guys come and put pressure on me, with a gallery I am hopeless, remember my tee shot at Shellharbour with you all watching. only joking might be able to catch up with you all there
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Thanks for the heads up Grant. I'll try and call up first thing at 7am.

Most Sydney Sunday comps have restricted tee times so they can fit in all the social clubs who make regular bookings. I dare say Bexley would be no exception.

The Pennants were probably scheduled six months in advance, and a social club may have been shunted aside to accomodate them. Pennants never affect the Sunday comp at Camden Valley, except that it's very slow to be the first group following pennants matches. While you can understand why they might be a bit slow, it doesn't make the waiting on every tee any more fun.

We probably couldn't get a 7.00am tee time even if we wanted to.

Being a kind-hearted person, I'm sure Amanda wouldn't stoop to cheap tricks like that in order to gain an edge

What I said originally still applies. I'll play at whatever time we can get on. As a contingency plan I'll call a few other places to determine our chances of an alternative venue if Bexley doesn't work out.

Thanks Jim - Bexley only takes bookings a week in advance.

Do you know anywhere that takes them 2 weeks ahead? We might go with that option to make sure we get a start somewhere.

Blog Entries

Amanda

You will get on Mac Grange no problems at all. The only thing is there will be no comp so I am not sure of the green fees. I think it is 40 with a cart.

the pro shop number is 9820 4599
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

I have been successful in booking a venue.

It seems there are pennants playing everywhere that Sunday. I couldn't get on at Penrith (open comp Sundays, maybe worth a visit later in the year when there are longer daylight hours) or Glenmore.

But I was successful at Bardwell Valley. The booking is for four players, at 11.06

Spiersy has already got his name down as the fourth at this stage, so bad luck to any others who want to witness this titanic battle first hand.

We'll ask about availability for the future, in case we need to go there again.

I've asked Amanda to change the title of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr
    I've asked Amanda to change the title of this thread.
    It's Friday arvo. I've got nothing better to do.

Have a good match.

Thanks AndyP

Jim - any idea of the cost?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Guys, I'm going to have to WD....I have to see patients all day and cannot get out of it....Have fun, and hoefully someone can fill my spot....

Speirsy

Rob,

You are supposed to click somewhere at the top of the thread to take yourself off the list (although I'm not sure how that works).

I may become one of your future patients. I'm not fit enough to properly play two days in a row, as I have an injury I keep well hidden that flares up with lots of walking.

In a way I'm disappointed you are not playing, as I'm sure you've never played a course anything like Bardwell Valley, and I would've been interested in your thoughts.

I'm sure someone else will fill the vacancy. Particularly as the cost is somewhere around $25 I think.

Blog Entries

Everyone bags Bardwell Valley but you do have to play smart to beat it, I never have . It is a great little course, I played there in my early years. Even though I am not that old
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

I would love to play for Spreisy but I'm already booked in at Carnarvon. Only if I knew it last week.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr
    Rob,

You are supposed to click somewhere at the top of the thread to take yourself off the list (although I'm not sure how that works).
    amanda didn't provide that option. I'll add one so Speirsy can pull out, and someone can take his spot.

Thread Information