Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Matchplay - Amanda v Jimandr, Bardwell Valley, 17 Jul 11:06a

Jim brought this up just recently - Gary (customclubmaker) is unable to play his match, so he's offered me a lifeline of sorts.  I'm not sure if this is allowed and I'm sure we'll argue at length.

But just in case it does get through, I'm trying to organise a game - current details:

Sunday 17th July
    Location - I'll have to call around, but I'm pretty sure there are open days at Bexley and Liverpool.  Not sure where else would be close for both of us (no offence Jono but I don't really want to head north).  Any ideas?

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Despite the 4-0-0 indicator in the topic, we've still got a vacancy, as Spiersy isn't playing.

Any last minute takers with nothing better to do on a Sunday?
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Well ?????!!!!?????

Who won? The Beauty or The Beast?

Thanks for the compliment Jono

I've sort of been waiting for Amanda to post her story first, to give her the chance to come clean about a few things she did today. However, I'll just have to tell it as I saw it, and let others be the judge.

The Scores:

Jimandr = 29 pts (ahead on countback)
    Amanda = 29 pts
    Brad = 28 pts (comprising nines of 9pts and 19pts)

The Match Result:

Jimandr defeated Amanda 1 up.

Naturally the score doesn't go close to telling the full story.

The first thing to say is that the weather was difficult, almost Shellharbour strength breeze, and the course was set up ultra difficult to cater for Masters Pennants players. Every flag in the most difficult spot they could find. Some were unfair. It was possible on at least 4 holes to putt 5 feet past, and on the right line have the ball roll back to you. Similar to a few of the Riverside Oaks pins.

We started on the 9th, as the pennant players were still on the 1st. We followed the spirit of the MatchPlay index, as per the Rules. I gave Amanda 15 shots, so it was every hole except our 1st (the 9th), our 9th (the 17th), and our 17th (the 7th). This didn't make much difference to the final result. I also gave Amanda 2 shots on two holes that were par 5's for her, but par 4's for me.

We were close all day. Never more than 2 holes difference. I was 2 up with 6 to play, then 1 down with two to play (after hitting my 6 iron to 6 feet, but losing the hole after I missed the birdie putt).

I won our 17th, mainly because I didn't give away a shot, to make it all square up the last. Amanda was pin high, 10 yards to the right of the green with a difficult bump and run chip up a steep hill, while I was on the green, only about 15 ft from the hole, but with a near impossible downhill curler. I was giving her a shot. Advantage Amanda. She left her chip short, chipped again to the edge of the green. Advantage Jim. I left my impossible putt 4 feet short, leaving another difficult putt. Amanda missed her sidehill curler, which finished 5 ft down the hill, then charged the next one 6 feet past, missed that, and picked up her ball in disgust. I missed my four footer, but holed the next four footer to claim the win.

Very lucky for me. Amanda had me beaten but let me win. Maybe she felt guilty that I offered her a lifeline as the substitute when Gary couldn't play.

Other highlights. At our 1st hole, the ninth, we all hit the green, but miles from the hole. I left my 65 footer 10 feet short. Brad left his 60 footer 10 feet short. Amanda smashed her 40 footer 15 ft past, and off the green (She still won the hole). At the very next hole she followed it up with a very classy par for 4 points.

Brad lost a ball in a GUR area (that doubles up as a rubbish dump), took a free drop, chipped to the edge of the green and holes a 30 footer for an amazing par and three points. As punishment, two holes later he lost a ball in a place just off the fairway where it should not have been possible to lose a ball.

Amanda played pretty well for 12 of the holes, but when she had wipes she had big and bad ones. 4 times she didn't make the green before either picking up or giving up after losing balls. This made her a hard matchplay opponent, as the other 12 were either pars or bogeys on holes I was giving away a stroke.

Brad is suffering through a damaged shoulder, and possibly shouldn't be playing golf. His restricted swing simply wasn't working. He then reverted to a painful fuller swing, which brought good results. Is the on-going pain worth the small amount of golfing pleasure?

I hit the ball very well, but was a victim of some really hard pin placements, making up & downs very difficult, and any putt over 5 feet hard to hole.

I still enjoyed it. Bardwell Valley has an open event every Sunday. It would be interesting to see how some of the other OzGolfers handle its quirks and challenges. It is not an easy course, despite its par of 62.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr
    Thanks for the compliment Jono

Well played Jim.  Bad luck Mandy.  It seems like you lost it in a similar way to your match with Gary.  Down to the last hole and duffing the chip ...  I tend to duff chips under pressure as well ...  

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

well done Jim .. congrats on the win

Mandy, what can i say .... bad luck is all i suppose

glad to hear it was a close match ..... jusy how matchplay should be
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

1up losses seem to be my speciality!

Jim's report is extremely accurate - on the last hole I just lost the plot - went with a risky 5w to the green that was my demise

I had a fun day though - made 4 or 5 pars, one on the hardest hole of the course. Unfortunately, because it's long par 3s or par 4s, I hardly got to use my new irons - I hit the 6i once (1st hole) and the 5i once.

The course definitely highlighted my short game deficiencies - I just had no idea how to play some types of shots - especially to elevated greens and one that was Pinehurst-#2-esque. Control over the distance in my 9i for approach shots was severely lacking.

Funny but I'm looking forward to playing this course again - there were some patchy areas of the fairway and tee areas, but greens were very well maintained and very fast.

The wind was a shocker - however, it was good training as I'm playing NSW with marcel today

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake
    about time brad got a word in anyway.
    To bloody right
    Handicap:
    Golflink
    Goals for 2008:
    - actually play golf
    - move in to our new house
    - gain weight (muscle)

I agree with both Jim and amanda in that the course is not only challenging, but interesting. At no time can you just step up to the ball and hit it without thinking of fairway speed/contour, green speed or contour.

The wind was a definite thorn, but I think the score proves my swing on the first 10 holes was worse.

For those of you playing at home, don't play with a sore shoulder, it just gets worse. After the game, with it being warm, I felt pretty good. Today is a fair shocker.

Although, if this is the last time I play golf in the next 6 months, at least my last 8 holes netted me 19 points.
    Handicap:
    Golflink
    Goals for 2008:
    - actually play golf
    - gain weight (muscle)

Some extraordinary results from Sunday's play in the Sydney papers today, showing how difficult it was in the wind. At my course the fourball winning score was 42.

The most amazing of all was Bardwell Valley. It was a small field due to the Pennants, but the winning score (no fourball, only an individual) was 34 points.

The women's winner was one A White (aka our Amanda) credited with 30 points.

The computer was giving her 30 pts when the scores were entered, although we all thought she had 29. On reflection, I suspect the long par 4 4th may have been a par 5 for women, thus giving Amanda a par 5 and 3 points (she won this hole anyway, so the score didn't affect the Match).

I suspect the prize would be very small due to a low number of starters, but if we need a reason to go back, collecting this prize is enough.

Wow jim - I'm shocked!

We are definitely going back!

Congratulations - although I am biased.

Maybe I should walk this one?
    Handicap:
    Golflink
    Goals for 2008:
    - actually play golf
    - gain weight (muscle)

I could always use a caddy

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Too dangerous for brad, he might do his shoulder in, and keep him off the golf course even longer.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Finally managed to get on to the pro shop - I won a $15 voucher

No idea what to get - perhaps some new iron covers (mine are cut to pieces - after numerous re-sews) or a few golf balls.

Put the winnings on your account and save for something good.

pinglauncher - but who knows if I'll ever win there again!

Thread Information