Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Golf Lessons in Brisbane

I am looking for a 'good' golf instructor in Brisbane - any suggestions??

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Tom Arnott at Wantima is great, only had the 1 lesson but found him very good.
    Ping ANSER 10.5 - GD ADDI 6S | Ping G25 - 15 - GD ADDI 7S | Ping G25 - 20 - Nunchuk| Mizuno JPX825 PRO - PXI 6.0 | Mizuno MPT-11 - 52/56/60 | Taylormade Spider Blade

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Brisbane is a pretty large area. Care to narrow it down at all?

Lets say around 20km range from Brisbane CBD.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

The two I would recommend would be Chris Gibson based at Vic Park driving range http://www.victoriaparkgolfcomplex.c...e-thepros.html & Chris Chaplin based at Keppera golf club http://www.keperragolf.com.au/golfshop.htm

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

If you are a chopper I wouldn't bother with Chris Chaplin.

Major Winner

I fit that category perfectly Just and he has me on the right path to improvement
    In saying that, he has changed the way he teaches over the years. I had a lesson off him back about five years ago and didn't really gel with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eag's View Post
    I fit that category perfectly Just and he has me on the right path to improvement
    In saying that, he has changed the way he teaches over the years. I had a lesson off him back about five years ago and didn't really gel with him.
    That's good because he sucked when I had a lesson with him about 5 years ago.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

The two I would recommend would be Chris Gibson based at Vic Park driving range http://www.victoriaparkgolfcomplex.c...e-thepros.html & Chris Chaplin based at Keppera golf club http://www.keperragolf.com.au/golfshop.htm
    I've had lessons off Chris Chaplin and found him to be good. Give him a go.

Chris Gibson has a reputation amongst some of just talking for an hour. Stood beside a poor bugger getting a lesson from him at Vict Park once. All Gibson did was natter for an hour interspersed with "good shot", "that's your bad shot". Felt sorry for the poor bugger forking out good dollars for social chit chat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueReview View Post
    Chris Gibson has a reputation amongst some of just talking for an hour. Stood beside a poor bugger getting a lesson from him at Vict Park once. All Gibson did was natter for an hour interspersed with "good shot", "that's your bad shot". Felt sorry for the poor bugger forking out good dollars for social chit chat.
    That's amusing because that's what Chris Chaplin used to do.

FWIW I have found Gary Warburton at Nudgee good.

I wouldn't go to a teaching pro who couldn't video record your swing. If a teacher is doing it by eyesight alone he would have to have good eyes to see what the club is doing throughout the swing. More than likely he will be guessing to an extent based on his knowledge and level of experience. It is much easier for all parties if it is recorded on video. It will also provide a record of progress or otherwise from one lesson to the next.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Must have been good guessers back in the old days then Raz?
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

Major Winner

I had a number of lessons from Chris Gibson and I rate him highly. There was no constant chatter from him, it was straight into business from the get go. The only reason I stopped going to see him was due to his rates going up($110.00 for an hour) plus he was hard to get into see.
    Last edited by Eag's; 5th February 2011 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    Must have been good guessers back in the old days then Raz?
    This is what Mike Clayton had to say about learning the golf swing before video cams. - "We rarely saw our swings on film, let alone a video with a pause button. The best we could do was the occasional photograph. Everything was done by feel, and we would spend countless hours in a fruitless attempt trying to repeat a feel. One day it would feel good and the next it would be terrible, and we would all flounder around looking for the next feel that worked. Almost every amateur who plays the game does that, and it is why it will remain a mystery and why club companies, in the business of selling hope, will always do well as they tempt the most gullible with the latest clubs and balls.

"Basically, everybody learned that way. Those who did well stumbled across stuff that worked rather than logically building a swing based on sound technique, the way the best young players do now."
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

The two I would recommend would be Chris Gibson based at Vic Park driving range
    +1 for Gibbo, although the rates are high and he can be difficult to get a spot with, as Eag's mentioned.

For the record, I've had a few lessons and there was very little wasted time. In fact, he basically spent the first part of the lesson recording my swing, showed a few little issues and things to change (no "complete overhaul of the swing" which bugs me) and then gave me a half a dozen drills to practice later. There was no time wasted while I sat there smacking 100 balls of the same drill either. It was more of a case of "Ok, hit a few of these doing what I said..... Ok, have you got it? Good. Do heaps of those later. Now let me show you another one I want you to do.".

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

If you want to travel out toward the Bay, I can recommend Matt Rogers at Mister Tees at Capalaba.

Member Club Pro

Try Gaz Calder at Indro GC

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

There is a quiet acheiver up Brisbane way now by name of Steve Oliver, very astute coach. Maybe around redcliffe somewhere
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    I wouldn't go to a teaching pro who couldn't video record your swing. If a teacher is doing it by eyesight alone he would have to have good eyes to see what the club is doing throughout the swing. More than likely he will be guessing to an extent based on his knowledge and level of experience. It is much easier for all parties if it is recorded on video. It will also provide a record of progress or otherwise from one lesson to the next.
    Agree and disagree with this Ray. A hell of a lot os students can't be told what they are doing so a video is a great tool for relating the issue. Having said that video isn't everything. Peter Knight once gave me a lesson and told me what I was doing based on the sound I made at impact off synthetic turf. And was spot on too.
    Forum needs more banter.

Thread Information