Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default courses in sa - public and private

gday all,

im looking for some good courses or at least maintained courses to play on. im not a member anywhere so that sucks!
    what does everybody recommend.

so far ive only played at:
    nth adelaide nth & sth
    regency park
    royal adelaide
    victor harbour
    mccracken

if i was to join a club, where is good that doesnt cost the earth? bear in mind i live 20 mins nth of the city.
    cheers

Max

Senior Member Major Winner

Naracoorte, only THREE hours out of Adelaide. Whole course to myself and the kind of course you could retire next to. Revisited recently after five years, really well turned out.
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

mmm prob a bit to far for a sunday round unless i make a day of it

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

What distance are you from Tea Tree Gully GC and Gawler GC, they'd both be worth considering if they're not too far from you
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

ashborne nr strathalbyn is awesome only 9 but stunning, also echunga is a nice 18 hole

Panic on the streets of London
    Panic on the streets of Birmingham
    I wonder to myself
    Could life ever be sane again ?
    The Leeds side-streets that you slip down
    I wonder to myself

That's a fair variety of courses you've played! Nice work getting on RA. Why not join there?

TTG is a good track but it's on the northern side of the city and may be a bit far from where you live. Westward Ho (Adelaide Shores) is ok but nothing special.
    Glenelg is looking better and better and would be a great option if you could get membership there.

Others to check out would be Riverside, Thaxted Park, Flagstaff Hill and Marino Golf clubs.
    (I'm sure one of these courses changed it's name, perhaps Thaxted PArk was called something else for a while?)

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Tea Tree Gully, I'm a member there, thats about 30 mins North East of the City

Penfield is another option, but 9 holes only, near the RAAF base

North Lakes, at Munno Para, another 9 holer but not the greatest track

Highercombe - in the foothills near TTG, yearly subs of $495 put it among the cheapest 18 holes memberships going, but the course can be pretty brutal on your legs

Depends on how far you want to drive really, TTG is 5 mins from my place, I'm at Greenwith. Highercombe is 15 mins from me

Gawler is a excellent track, about 15 mins drive north east of Gawler itself

Last I heard TTG is getting quite a few members joining, which means if everyone plays, you probably won't get a game on Saturday as it gets booked out quickly
    Handicaped

G10 9* / G10 17* / Idea Pro / MP-60/MP-32 / 588's / Rossie 2

www.jcgolf.com.au

hi guys thanks for the responses. im seriously considering joining ttg simply cos value for money and proximity to my place. i live in hillcrest so its not far. all the other good courses like grange, glenelg, royal etc are just too much money to justify.....im into motor racing so i spend alot of coin on that.

so tell me what is ttg like? how are the fairways/greens etc condition? are they maintained regularly? if im going to spend thousands joining i want the course to be in good nick. are there any practice facilities? are the holes challenging or is the course a nice design? is it flat or hilly?

cheers for the help fellas

I was a junior member at TTG years ago. Always pretty good condition but it's been a long time since I've played.
    Would love to go back for a hit some time.

no love for the adelaide hills??

I wonder to myself
    I wonder to myself

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    hi guys thanks for the responses. im seriously considering joining ttg simply cos value for money and proximity to my place. i live in hillcrest so its not far. all the other good courses like grange, glenelg, royal etc are just too much money to justify.....im into motor racing so i spend alot of coin on that.

so tell me what is ttg like? how are the fairways/greens etc condition? are they maintained regularly? if im going to spend thousands joining i want the course to be in good nick. are there any practice facilities? are the holes challenging or is the course a nice design? is it flat or hilly?

cheers for the help fellas
    Its generally always in good condition, they maintain it really well. Quite a challenging course, mix of flat and sloped holes, few uphill, few downhill, but nothing over the top. Reasonably tight of the tee, plenty of trees.

Practice facilities include a large practice putting green, a just re-done chipping/short game area and a driving range with about 10 bays, with grass you can hit off as well

Are you free during the week? I'm having a hit up there in the next two weeks if you want to check it out
    Handicaped

G10 9* / G10 17* / Idea Pro / MP-60/MP-32 / 588's / Rossie 2

www.jcgolf.com.au

adelaide hills - well havnt really ventured that far. what are the recommendations?

chris32 cheers for the input bud. over the next week im pretty busy with work (run a real estate agency) but after that i reckon i can arrange something. thanks for the offer! im keen to check it out!
    so inner north you could say ttg is the pick of the bunch. not much to choose from unless you want to spend big $$$ for a membership.
    im playing down at the Pat tomorrow with the mrs for the first time. im excited to see what its like!
    have a good weekend fellas

Member Club Pro

Try Echunga and Thaxted mate.

thanks for the responses guys. i reckon im gona join ttg. ive had a look at the course and for the price, especially with the no entrance fee its great value!
    i played at royal with a few mates of mine who are members, but the waiting list and price is just silly. if i was a scratch player then well thats different.

im going up to Auburn this weekend, north of adelaide, any recommendations up there?

cheers,

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Try Echunga and Thaxted mate.
    AMEN echunga is my local and a good 18 hole track :P

I wonder to myself
    I wonder to myself

Hi Max,

If you are heading to the hills then your best options are Echunga and Mt Barker. Echunga is a good course, is well priced and has a cracking opening three holes.

Tea Tree Gully is a very good course, and you'd be pretty happy joining there I think. Love the 15th hole. It is a long long way ahead of the likes of Penfield or North Lakes.

I've got a bit of a website about golf in South Australia mate, you should check it out. www.sagolfadventure.com

Tony

thanks mate i have checked out the website, looks like bloody good fun!
    i will join ttg, purely just value for money i think.
    cheers, max

Thread Information