Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Club Fitting in Canberra

Hi All,

First time poster here. A wealth of information on the website which is great - I've been reading much of it over the last few days.

I've been playing golf (as a hacker) for about eight years now and have decided to take it on a bit more seriously. I'm getting lessons etc but will need to upgrade my clubs over the next few months.

I'm interested if anyone is aware of anyone in Canberra, or Southern NSW, that can provide me with a club fitting and then give me the measurements that I'll need to order the clubs. I know some large name companies provide this service free of charge, but the catch is usually that you have to purchase clubs from them - I totally understand the reasoning for this, but in my reaseach I've found significant discounts in golf clubs overseas which I'd like to take advantage of (enter Gerry Harvey's rant here).

I'm defiantely happy to pay for the fitting too so that nobody feels short changed.

Alternatively, is this something I should be asking my coach about once I start having lessons?

Thanks!

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Just go to Pete's and get a club fit. That prick deserves to be stuffed around without getting a sale.
    Forum needs more banter.

Oh really? Why are Pete's on your bad books SMS316?

I'm guessing Pete's would be in the category of "we won't fit you unless you buy the clubs from us."

Totally understand their reasoning, just wanting to avoid that discussion by using someone else.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Bawho View Post
    Oh really? Why are Pete's on your bad books SMS316?
    Probably not many who are not!

My tip would be to look around for off course golf shops that are not covered with big brand signs, they typically build their business on custom fitting and assembly of the gear in house, therefore they are likely then to have the fitting equipment plus the the grey matter which can only come by experience. Retailers of the big brands tend to not have much of a clue for fitting, use standard modelling, and then just get supplied from factory stock.

Or look up the KZG or Wishon websites, they have lists of accredited clubfitters (they restrict who can sell their clubs so that is a good guide)
    failing that let your fingers do the walking and just ask all the golf stores what fitting gear they use, Ideally you want to have a good quality launchmonitor for a start. You should expect to pay $100-150 for a session if they use high end gear like Trackman.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Pete isn't the most popular person in the industry. Thinks he is a bit more important than he really is. Stuffing him about would be a small bit of karma coming back his way. Having said that, I've never met the guy.

Just like when an anonymous guy ordered 15 hookers for him one afternoon under the guise of him wanting to get some action in his office.
    Forum needs more banter.

If Mittagong isn't too far, give Lee at Highlands a call.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Poor old Pete.

I don't think he is doing to well based on the very tired look of his shop. Ver faded fitout, loads of dust, not that much current product and lots of crappy gear piled all round the place. To be honest I have seen some of the grottier Godfreys shops that looked better ...

Thread Information