Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member Trainee Pro

Default Help with hitting my Driver

I got a new driver (callaway hyper x) for Christmas after my old one snapped, i've had about 5 rounds and 200 range balls with this driver now and still can't hit it. I've looked up and tried the tips like hitting more forward in my stance and lining up the ball and club in the air not on the ground. But every time i hit the same shot, it hooks terriblely and has huge top spin

Does anyone have anything else to try?

Anything is appreciated at this stage

P.S. will try and get a video of me swinging my driver very soon

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Get the video up, you'll get some help then.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Does anyone have anything else to try?
    a new driver ?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

The first question would be did you hit your old driver better? I'd assume so reading between the lines. Do you have a reasonably repeating swing? Then what specs was your old driver and what is the new. Overall club length, shaft type and flex, head, loft yada, yada. If you hit your old driver quite well you might simply be attempting to adjust your swing to suit an ill fitting stick. If not i'd be getting that vid up.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Is it a hook or is it a pull? The ball goes left for both but for different reasons.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

swing straighter

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    The first question would be did you hit your old driver better? I'd assume so reading between the lines. Do you have a reasonably repeating swing? Then what specs was your old driver and what is the new. Overall club length, shaft type and flex, head, loft yada, yada. If you hit your old driver quite well you might simply be attempting to adjust your swing to suit an ill fitting stick. If not i'd be getting that vid up.
    Defenetly hit my old driver better, it had a slight fade to it but it was easy to compensate for
    Old driver had 10.5 loft, regular flex and was also a 400CC head(i think)
    callaway is 10 loft, regular flex and 460cc head
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueReview View Post
    Is it a hook or is it a pull? The ball goes left for both but for different reasons.
    Pull

all my other clubs go straight

Blog Entries

without seeing anything, I would initially suggest to swing easier instead of trying to smack the crap out of it. It could also be that with your swing type you may be using a shaft that is to soft for you...?

Granted that the specs are very similar to your old club, but every club is different and you may have modified your swing (subconciuosly) to fit your old driver. But regardless, my first suggestion is to swing easier......

just my 2 cents.

Member Trainee Pro

Alright cheers mate, will try to slow it down and just to to hit it in the middle

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Dave

You are moving forward onto the ball instead of hitting past yourself. It is a problem that plagues us older guys particularly when we don't keep the hips ahead of the shoulders during the down and through-swing. This tends to go hand in hand with an incomplete shoulder turn and letting the upper chest move towards the target during the downswing. A good thought is to keep the base of the neck/upper chest behind the ball position until it is pulled off by the follow through. I'd say you are using a swing for an iron shot with the driver which doesn't work with the Callaway. It may have worked with the Tittleist 905R because that driver has a shallow face and was designed by Titileist to get a decent result with a downwards strike. Hope this helps.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Member Trainee Pro

Thanks a lot mate, will take that on board and try to make some changes

i'm in trouble if i already have old man problems at 21

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

If you hit your old driver OK and your irons straight I would be trying a few different drivers with stiffer or heavier shafts in them...thought about getting fitted properly by a pro somewhere??

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Stuartd147 View Post
    If you hit your old driver OK and your irons straight I would be trying a few different drivers with stiffer or heavier shafts in them...thought about getting fitted properly by a pro somewhere??
    Might have to save up so i can if i can't start hitting this driver, i thought about it when i got this current driver but thought it wouldn't really make much difference cause i'm not that good

Member Trainee Pro

slowed down my swing today, hit it better but it feels really weird making myself swing slower than natural

Thanks a lot mate, will take that on board and try to make some changes

i'm in trouble if i already have old man problems at 21
    I'd say you have more troubles than many old codgers I know, including me. No offence intended.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    I'd say you have more troubles than many old codgers I know, including me. No offence intended.
    bit hard not to be a little offended coming from a bloke i've never met

bit hard not to be a little offended coming from a bloke i've never met
    Dave
    When I first posted in your thread I mistook you for Daves, who I have played with and know his swing & who plays with a Titleist 905R. No worries, the same fundamentals apply to everybody. Having seen your swing in another thread, then IMO you have lots more problems than many golfers my age, mid 60's. Just replying to your comments.

Dave
    When I first posted in your thread I mistook you for Daves, who I have played with and know his swing & who plays with a Titleist 905R. No worries, the same fundamentals apply to everybody. Having seen your swing in another thread, then IMO you have lots more problems than many golfers my age, mid 60's. Just replying to your comments.
    Now you have me worried!? hehe

He knows a lot of good golfers Dave. Didn't you say you've recently taken up the game? I'm guessing the boys Raz plays with and knows have many many many.....many years more golfing experience than you.

BTW, he actually knows a lot of shit about swings, equipment etc, so just hope that he's going to post a bit more to help you out. Oh yeh....he's normally BRUTALLY honest.

Member Trainee Pro

Dave
    oh yeah, my golf game is terrible, don't ask me why but i took your other comment a different way (i don't know why)

I'm grateful for any tips or comments i can pick up from people with experience

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Defenetly hit my old driver better, it had a slight fade to it but it was easy to compensate for
    Old driver had 10.5 loft, regular flex and was also a 400CC head(i think)
    callaway is 10 loft, regular flex and 460cc head

Pull

all my other clubs go straight
    Hmmm .... isn't a pull the hallmark of an outside to in swing?

Blog Entries

slowed down my swing today, hit it better but it feels really weird making myself swing slower than natural
    when I first started trying to slow it down, it felt weird too. Having said that, once everything starts coming on line or your hitting better, you'll find u naturally speed up, or in my case I did anyway.

I seem to remember u saying ur young bloke as well, so ur slow speed will, in many cases, be a hell of a lot faster than what some of the old boys can ever manage.

Remember, distance isnt always the be all and end all. Get the club under control, and once you've done that, you can learn to let rip on them an let them fly!

EDIT: I should have mentioned that if you hit the driver in the sweet spot, the balls gonna go and go anyway!
    Last edited by rubin; 8th January 2011 at 12:01 AM.

Member Trainee Pro

here's a video of my swing (slowing my swing down just trying to hit it)

All sorts of things going on in your swing Dave, most of them not good. As suggested by others in your other swing thread you are swinging with your arms, not your body. You are also tilting to get the club above your head. You really need to get a coach and have a series of lessons so they can help you get on the right path.

In the interim this Leaderbetter vid gives a good insight and a simple suggested drill that should help;

Member Trainee Pro

cheers mate

Thread Information