Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sandbagging

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    How much should we have got for Queensland then??????
    Wouldn't have mattered - Ferrins was unbeatable of his dodgy mark.

The lack of CCR is to blame for my drifting handicap. The course here plays 3-4 shots harder in winter than summer due to the high winds and lack of run. Everyone's handicap blows put then comes back in when summer arrives. Lefty would've the same I reckon.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Wouldn't have mattered - Ferrins was unbeatable of his dodgy mark.

The lack of CCR is to blame for my drifting handicap. The course here plays 3-4 shots harder in winter than summer due to the high winds and lack of run. Everyone's handicap blows put then comes back in when summer arrives. Lefty would've the same I reckon.
    Inner circle, take note.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Wouldn't have mattered - Ferrins was unbeatable of his dodgy mark.The lack of CCR is to blame for my drifting handicap. The course here plays 3-4 shots harder in winter than summer due to the high winds and lack of run. Everyone's handicap blows put then comes back in when summer arrives. Lefty would've the same I reckon.
    Abso-frickin-lutely. On both counts.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Back down to single figures but need to shake the short iron bleeds from my system. Last two rounds have habitually wasted shots with the scoring irons.

Wow! What a time for sandbaggers at the moment with submit your own scores on MiClub. Check the leaderboard and adjust score before submitting or choose to bail on the comp if scoring is poor.
    " we kept score just for our own bet not the comp"

Our club only charges comp fee if you submit a score.

My other club Nudgee charges you the $48 comp fee( might be less but assuming as it goes up every time I play there)before you start.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Last edited by thecollective; 21st August 2020 at 12:59 PM. Reason: F*ck it

See avatar for inspiration

<--------------
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

GA should tighten the rules with hcp blowout/anchor rule. When I was recovering from DVT I could barely swing a club without falling over, my hcp blew out to around 19/20. 4 months later (once the swelling went down) I won the comp 3 times in a row and was labelled a bandit by several at my club.

I wish they would have just kept me on 12 with maybe a blow out to 15 at most.
    Last edited by thecollective; 21st August 2020 at 02:30 PM.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Wow! What a time for sandbaggers at the moment with submit your own scores on MiClub. Check the leaderboard and adjust score before submitting or choose to bail on the comp if scoring is poor.

My other club Nudgee charges you the $48 comp fee( might be less but assuming as it goes up every time I play there)before you start.
    In theory it should be no more open to abuse than scoring your own paper card, but where there is a way...

I recently noticed a possible anomaly on the Vets scoreboard. One of our older C Graders had supposedly had an Eagle on the 12th at Carbrook. Anyone that knows the hole would know that would be a pretty unique outcome for someone that can't hit it beyond 150m at the best of times. The other factor was that their next best score on his card for the day was bogey. Normally I wouldn't have given it a thought, but the resultant score meant the player had been credited with winning the C Grade comp on the day, and was also credited with being the C Grade Nett Club Champ, as it was the final round of our Vets Champs.

The anomaly didn't surprise me, it was likely a simple keying error (points rather than strokes entered). But the fact that no one checked or questioned it was a surprise. I raised it yesterday with the Club VP who had been away on sick leave. He would normally pick these things up, but was out of action. He messaged me last night to confirm my suspicions. The golfer in question was blissfully unaware of his supposed prowess, or the winning outcomes he had been credit with. All has now been corrected, but if I hadn't asked?....

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    GA should tighten the rules with hcp blowout/anchor rule. When I was recovering from DVT I could barely swing a club without falling over, my hcp blew out to around 19/20. 4 months later (once the swelling went down) I won the comp 3 times in a row and was labelled a bandit by several at my club.

I wish they would have just kept me on 12 with maybe a blow out to 15 at most.
    Which is pretty much where the system is now with the soft cap (3) change.

Ignorance is bliss.

I say cheating to beat the other mob of cheats at Carbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    The anomaly didn't surprise me, it was likely a simple keying error (points rather than strokes entered). But the fact that no one checked or questioned it was a surprise. .
    Interesting case. With paper scorecards a committee would(should) check winners scorecards meticulously for all matters, and anomalies like an eagle on the hardest hole on the course would actually jump out to even a casual observer. But with phone app submitted scores, all integrity checks are completed by the app itself, so there is nothing left to check.

I do agree, even in this scenario for app submitted scores, the winners scorecard should be looked at regardless.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post

That doesnt sound good - you would think Mi-Club wouldnt mess that up
    it should be that when play in a Comp you are registered.
    and therefore failing to submit a score would result in NCR - not approved and the subsequent hcap penalties that follow. I think if more than 2 in the last 20, the players index is crucified.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 25th August 2020 at 04:12 PM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Interesting case. With paper scorecards a committee would(should) check winners scorecards meticulously for all matters, and anomalies like an eagle on the hardest hole on the course would actually jump out to even a casual observer. But with phone app submitted scores, all integrity checks are completed by the app itself, so there is nothing left to check.

I do agree, even in this scenario for app submitted scores, the winners scorecard should be looked at regardless.
    I will have to check, but I suspect in this case the score was actually entered via a paper scorecard. The player in question is pushing 80 and I don't know that he is Techie at all and would use the App?. There was a supposed HIO credited a few weeks ago, that was a similar error. It was only picked up when the player was told his trophy was ordered and he asked what for?

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I will have to check, but I suspect in this case the score was actually entered via a paper scorecard. The player in question is pushing 80 and I don't know that he is Techie at all and would use the App?. There was a supposed HIO credited a few weeks ago, that was a similar error. It was only picked up when the player was told his trophy was ordered and he asked what for?
    I spoke with the VP yesterday and he advised the score was entered via the App, but obviously wasn't checked and confirmed with their scoring partner as per the required process. All has been corrected now I gather.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

In using the App most of the Guys I play with continuously check scores with each other along the way to make sure their hasn't been a keeing mistake witch can be easily done!
    Proud to use Circle"B" Sun Protection!

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

ol' mate just got booted for 'bagging at karrinyup. one year suspension.
    ferrins said; "I probably need a generic answer because over the last two years I have used over a dozen sets and over 50 different types of balls and can't really tell much of a difference with them". We can all learn from this.

Quote Originally Posted by dean0820 View Post
    ol' mate just got booted for 'bagging at karrinyup. one year suspension.
    This makes me happy.

coz it wasn't you that got caught?
    ferrins said; "I probably need a generic answer because over the last two years I have used over a dozen sets and over 50 different types of balls and can't really tell much of a difference with them". We can all learn from this.

btw, the fookin' "app" should be outlawed. write your partner's score, he writes yours. pretty simple really. people are idiots.

and while i am here..... did you know?
    in comps, players at karrinyup routinely give gimmes.
    and....
    they score their own cards. one of the very few clubs that do so.

See you in 5 years will you be angrier then?

Senior Member Major Winner

btw, the fookin' "app" should be outlawed. write your partner's score, he writes yours. pretty simple really. people are idiots.
    We use the app but can’t submit our own scores on it. We keep and submit our partner’s score.

one of the many that require players to mark their own scorecards.
    fairly sure that was GA guidance.
    --
    Handy-Cap

and while i am here..... did you know?
    in comps, players at karrinyup routinely give gimmes.
    and....
    Could be a Covid thing still. When I've played in comps there we've always exchanged.

Thread Information