Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sandbagging

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    Virge - I'm sure I will get motivated enough shortly with pennant around the corner. The opportunity to play dog tracks quality courses like Pine Rivers and Kilcoy is too good to pass up.
    Couldn't agree more - I have dodgey back, little interest in competition, moving house, shitload of work and have played once in the last 6 weeks. I will still piss in a spot in the pennant side.

Hard to find the motivation with no competition or nothing at stake.

Oh - and our courses are Massey Park, Warringah and Penrith... very classy indeed. (I will probably play in a blue singlet and thongs as respect)

Just a great big "Meh"

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Typical Manly attitude!

Penrith is a bloody good track, Virge, don't knock it (though you occasionally have to hit more than a 9i into the par fours, so I understand a Bayview boy not liking it )

goughy

I wouldn't call surrendering a round and having fun sandbagging. Nothing wrong with realising after 9 holes that the day is over and having some fun. That's way different from going out to play with the intention of keeping your hc higher for other games. When jaster and I used to practice early at City GC we used to always see these guys out zooming through early mid week comp rounds. I knew one of the guys. Ran into his wife once and she told me him and his mate were making sure their hc's stayed out for the 4bbb weekend rounds. Way different from having a slash after your chances are dead.

I wasn't aware golf wasn't fun when you're playing under your hcp. For me, I find this rare event more fun.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

I have always tried to find a way to challenge myself even when I know I have no chance to beat my Hcp for that round.
    I have rarely thought about throwing in the towel due to the fact I had no chance of winning anything.
    It has never been about who I can beat, it's more about how far I can push myself. Even if I am 20 over for the round, I will try and finish strong and get something out of the day.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Eag's View Post
    I have always tried to find a way to challenge myself even when I know I have no chance to beat my Hcp for that round.
    I have rarely thought about throwing in the towel due to the fact I had no chance of winning anything.
    It has never been about who I can beat, it's more about how far I can push myself. Even if I am 20 over for the round, I will try and finish strong and get something out of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Norman View Post
    I wasn't aware golf wasn't fun when you're playing under your hcp. For me, I find this rare event more fun.

The thing that bemuses me most about the new handicap system is not the handicap blowouts, but the people who get so uptight about someone else's handicap. Unless they are out and out cheats, I couldn't care less, other than when I can use it to sledge someone I am trying to take some money off!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by solarman View Post
    That's what I do. I play off 20 but really am a single digit guy. I am just waiting for the nright day to come out of my shell.
    I should be off about 7 with the gear I got, at least I look good.
    I agree mate you just need to concentrate for longer than it takes to walk from the carpark to the first tee...then you would be meeting expectations.

Nothing wrong with looking Tour Issued though!
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

Member Monthly medal winner

maybe your twin that I met in the pro shop at horton the other day has a better handicap you could use.

(signed the stop and go shirt man)

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Blowing your handicap apparently leads to blowing other guys and that is why I have reformed myself. I am not sure if this is a suitable detirrent in your case Shaun.

I have much to learn in the craft of sandbagging.
    Forum needs more banter.

Give me a break you have gone from +1 to 4 and heading for 5 you sandbagger that is a massive advantage for someone with the silky smooth swing and ability to top and hook the ball off the tee at least as bad as me
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

I don't think so... it requires quite a bit of commitment to keep your handicap that low, and be honest - there really isn't that much reward for an amateur to keep it that low. Sandbagging IMO is keeping your handicap at a level that you can suddenly bring your A game to and have 40 points or so... It is not like SMS can suddenly drop in a two under because he feels like it.

And for a plus handicap - just keep in mind that you need to have 10 rounds out of your last 20 under par. That is bloody hard and even if you get there - the prizes for scratch nowadays are shit. I won scratch today and got $20 (cost me $12 in comp fees... The net winner beat me by 5 strokes.)

So depending on work, family, social life and whatever else is happening... I would cruise around on 4 or 5 and put some practice in for a couple of decent events and smash them.

Enjoy.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

can i ask, why are you guys concerned by your handicap?
    don't you play coz you love whacking the ball and holing putts and walking the course with like minded people?
    life is too short to sweat the details.
    just get out there and take the course on without fear.
    if you mess up that day, it's no big deal.
    the fun is the goal of playing, the handicap is just incidental to the game to let us all enjoy it together.

If you weren't supposed to take it seriously, you wouldn't keep score.
    Forum needs more banter.

Well said. Sandbaggers are scum.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

It's time for a group hug. Peace.

There is a difference between playing to the best of your ability on the day and being obsessed with your handicap. Attitudes like your are exactly why there are sandbaggers, because you are obsessed with a number.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I see SMS's North Lakes mate has got "Sandbagging" down to a fine art. Looks like he has played the (amateur section of) Sydney Invitational that PShaw won. Nice blowout of handicap by 3 shots in the fortnight beforehand! I have never seen anyone before who can pay within 3 shots of the same score round after round.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Just looking in here for Ned. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I see SMS's North Lakes mate has got "Sandbagging" down to a fine art. Looks like he has played the (amateur section of) Sydney Invitational that PShaw won. Nice blowout of handicap by 3 shots in the fortnight beforehand! I have never seen anyone before who can pay within 3 shots of the same score round after round.
    Good on him. He would be ecstatic to turn his form around like that.
    Forum needs more banter.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I have never seen anyone before who can pay within 3 shots of the same score round after round.
    Really? By that criteria, my golflink looks very suss. Those September comps must have been important to me.

It's nice to hear that this guy is still going strong, but it's a shame that golflink inspection isn't a criteria for winning comps.

I'm yet to post in this thread. How's that for restraint.
    I'm proud of me.

dave1

Im staggered guys think they will somehow score better "when Im back to 15" instead of 12 .

No you wont! You'll then not try as hard because you think that the handicap will "protect you" no it won't

Pay your $8 bucks and see what the printer spits out then enjoy it.

Blog Entries

I assumed this thread was about protecting your property from flood. Now that I have read it, I will probably sandbag a bit this year, not on purpose, just because I am shit.

Quote Originally Posted by live4golf View Post
    I assumed this thread was about protecting your property from flood. Now that I have read it, I will probably sandbag a bit this year, not on purpose, just because I am shit.
    +1
    Dodging bullets since 2003

WITB

Thread Information