Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Samsung Galaxy S circlejerk thread

Back from the UK and I still have my old Nokia brick shockproof/waterproof thing.

I have to get on a decent-sized cap, which means a smartphone included. I have whittled the field down to the Samsung and the iPhone. Both me and the missus need a plan/phone.

The state of play is:
    • I am going to go with Optus (best value plans for what we need plus free calls to each other)
    • Buying online gets you two months free, which is too good to resist, so "keep trying different stores until you find one with the iPhone 4" doesn't really work.
    • iPhone 4 seems to be anything from 2 to 6 weeks away and the 2 months free offer expires at the end of Nov so I need to act before I can be sure it will be available.
    • iPhone 3GS and Samsung Galaxy S are the two available phones that most appeal to me.
    • I feel a bit rough paying the same coin for a 3GS as for the 4 (if I could have waited) as the 3GS is 8gb and the 4 is 16gb or 32gb.
    Which should I plumb for and why?

The memory deficiency aside (8gb instead of 16 or 32), is the 3GS really that inferior to iPhone 4?

I already have years of music in iTunes. Will those audio files be able to be loaded onto the Galaxy if I go that way or will I have to download them all again from CD/web?
    Last edited by Scottt; 9th March 2011 at 04:30 PM.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    I already have years of music in iTunes. Will those audio files be able to be loaded onto the Galaxy if I go that way or will I have to download them all again from CD/web?
    You can transfer music from iTunes to a folder at any time. You would never need to get them all again.

Yeah, I have all my tunes backed up on an external HD. The Apple file format (AAC?) is readable by the Samsung?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I personally don't have many AAC files, but you should be able to find a way to convert them if necessary.
    Last edited by AndyP; 8th November 2010 at 08:03 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

No contest mate...

HTC Desire HD or Samsung Galaxy S.

if you can find an old 3GS on ebay for around $500 - buy it outright and use that.

The iPhone 4 is shit, though 4.2 has a few fixes that are very much welcome.

goughy

We have a galaxy and an iphone 3gs in our house. Clikchic has the iphone and it is perfect for her. It does all she needs and easily. She can read books, listen to music, kids can play games, she can makes calls, send emails and sms. The 3gs screen looks fine, the 4 even better. It obviously syncs well with itunes.

I have a galaxy and couldn't be happier. I was going to get an iphone 4 and sure I would have been happy enough with it, but I'd have missed a few things that would have bugged me. If you like customisation this is a better phone. I use a custom launcher that allows me to set my phone up the way I want it. I like my home screen to have a big time display and weather, and my upcoming calendar appointments etc. I don't want to have to click to other programs to see them. True out of the box it wasn't spot on, but with a few downloaded programs (most free) it was on the money. The screen is outstanding. I also have a program which allows me to automate much of the phone - I have different volume etc settings (I guess profiles) for different times of the day, plug in headphones and music app starts up, get near home and wifi turns on etc etc. The bluetooth talks to much more - my computer, other phones etc. Connect it up to your computer and it's just another drive, easy to transfer stuff that way if you wish. You can find programs to sync stuff via itunes if you wish. I'm pretty sure it'll play aac out of the box. Pretty sure it plays everything, divx etc etc.

More apps and accessories for the iphone, but on the app front there's nothing I haven't been able to find yet that I needed or wanted.

In the end, if you want a phone that works either will do. If you want one easy to use that just works I think the iphone might be a touch better. If you like to fiddle about with settings and stuff then the galaxy is better.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i900...review-500.php
    Last edited by goughy; 8th November 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks guys.

To the Galaxy owners, apparently it comes with 60 or so apps that you won't want most of and can't delete?

If so can you at least hide them/put the ones you want in front of them?

Thanks guys.

To the Galaxy owners, apparently it comes with 60 or so apps that you won't want most of and can't delete?

If so can you at least hide them/put the ones you want in front of them?

most of the Android phones are like that.

goughy

Most phones are like that. Basically you have 7 home screens you can scroll between and you put the stuff you want on them. Then you also have access to an app draw or folder which has everything in it. So the stuff you don't want doesn't have to be up front but it is still accessible.

The link I posted has a pretty indepth comparison between them, and that sight also has very indepth reviews of both phones.

I had a read of the comparison Goughy. It seemed to keep saying they were neck-and-neck then gave the iPhone a 9 and the Galaxy a 7. Weird.

The Samsung Galaxy is a cheap imitation of the real thing. Should suit you splendidly Scottttt.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

goughy

I had a read of the comparison Goughy. It seemed to keep saying they were neck-and-neck then gave the iPhone a 9 and the Galaxy a 7. Weird.
    That was only the first page of the test, there were 8 other comparison test conducted. Head to head, the Galaxy won 7 to 2, with a finished combined score of 78/90 against 68/90 for the iPhone. The big differences - Galaxy more customisation, bluetooth that works, appears as a drive on your computer, 16g on board with an sd card slot available for an extra 32g. You'll probably be happy with either, and the only reason you'll think you've bought the wrong one is if your wife gets the other one and you think it's better.

With me having the Galaxy clikchic has realised that the iphone she has was the right choice for her. With her having the iphone, I've realised the Galaxy was the right choice for me. Switch them around and neither of us would have been entirely happy.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Scott, my son works for Optus selling mobiles in a store and he has his pick of phones and he has a galaxy, pretty much what Goughy said, better customisation etc. I've got an iphone 4 (work supplied) and I'm pretty happy with it, but I don't really get that excited about phones.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I concur with Goughy. I was waiting for the iPhone 4 until I found out that it didn't have a radio and wouldn't play Divx. Since choosing the Galaxy I really feel that I have made the right decision. I have barely started to really customise it to suit me but even so am really happy with it.

iPhone 4 plays DivX.

Blog Entries

welcome home Scottt

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    welcome home Scottt
    You would ruin the thread with your off topic ravings.

Anyway Scottt I have an iPhone at the moment and I'd rather have an Android phone.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post

if you can find an old 3GS on ebay for around $500 - buy it outright and use that.

... .
    + 1

I have the 3GS 32gig & have no plans to upgrade. Maybe when the iphone 5 comes along ...

Quote Originally Posted by MegaWatty View Post
    iPhone 4 plays DivX.
    Interesting... That was one of the main reasons that I went with the Galaxy, because all the reviews I read said that it didn't.

VLC free app. Better player is CineXPlayer

Thanks guys (good to be back, Adlo and Yoss).

The reviews here and on tech websites have convinced me to go with the Galaxy. Mission Control is getting a 3GS.
    Last edited by Scottt; 8th November 2010 at 11:00 PM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Welcome home scottt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by just View Post
    You would ruin the thread with your off topic ravings.

Anyway Scottt I have an iPhone at the moment and I'd rather have an Android phone.
    You never cease to amuse me Just. Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Welcome home scottt.
    Better late than never

Scottt has a prophetic edge I was unaware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Veefore View Post
    I concur with Goughy. I was waiting for the iPhone 4 until I found out that it didn't have a radio and wouldn't play Divx. Since choosing the Galaxy I really feel that I have made the right decision. I have barely started to really customise it to suit me but even so am really happy with it.
    iPhone also has a great radio app. Any station u want am/fm.

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    iPhone also has a great radio app. Any station u want am/fm.
    But it's not a real radio, it's a streaming radio isn't it?

Thread Information