Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

I'm running Kies inside Windows XP, inside VMWare, inside a Linux userspace. Don't get me started on how shitty Kies is. It bugs me that I have Linux computers and Linux phone, but I have to emulate windows in between them in order to upgrade to the official froyo. Stoopid.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaWatty View Post
    Fragmented.
    Android fragmentation: How ever will we survive?

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by MegaWatty View Post
    but the average Joe wouldn't find it to be the easiest OS out there.
    Certainly if they know nothing and try and do too much stuffing with it they will have problems. But the average user wouldn't even know what froyo or gingerbread are, and would just use their phone as normal, just like my sister does. She went from a basic basic nokia to the desire with no issues and loves it. Basically nothing more than an iphone to her, and works great.

Heck, I don't even know how to approve new forum members or posts, yet I had froyo on my phone a month or two before it was released for me and then also managed to upgrade officially too. And me dumbdumb!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by poidda View Post
    I'm struggling to upgrade. Kies is a piece of shyte.
    Make sure you don't have any files longer than 16 characters. this is what stopped mine. Just try any files you have added first,
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

New smart-phone on the market:

Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

goughy

Has anyone upgraded google maps to version 5.0 yet? It is insane, and was already kicking the arse of other navigation apps and has just taken another giant leap! Vector graphics that are much smaller downloads and caching; I've read that an entire state could be cached in a few mb. Haven't found out how to do it yet though. And the new 3d view looks amazing. For Aus, only some of Melbourne has building view, but for a play with it search for somewhere like new york city. Zoom in until the buildings start showing and then rather than pinching, or swiping the screen with one finger, swipe the screen with 2 fingers to change the angle. If we can find a way to cache entire maps to the sd card then we won't need the data connection to download and it will replace all other nav apps. TomTom eat your heart out!

I've always found Google's routing to be pretty average when it comes to navigation but also stood by my statement that if they get it right, they will truly have the best navigation system (as long as they add other extras in) out there.

Now looking at making the transition to the HTC Desire HD so wanted to quickly check if anybody had tried these out. The lack of onboard storage and video calling seems to be the only thing holding this thing from being THE iphone killer they wanted it to be.

Also the Nexus S looks good but unsure of release dates and would like to get a new toy for Christmas
    Titleist 913 D3 w/UST V2 79g
    Nickent Rescue 14 degree w/IROD S
    Maxfli Revolutions 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Sante Fe II
    52, 56, 60 TaylorMade Rac Wedges

Golflink

Quote Originally Posted by shavey View Post
    Now looking at making the transition to the HTC Desire HD so wanted to quickly check if anybody had tried these out. The lack of onboard storage and video calling seems to be the only thing holding this thing from being THE iphone killer they wanted it to be.

Also the Nexus S looks good but unsure of release dates and would like to get a new toy for Christmas
    Nexus S is supposed to be very good.

Just been advised that even though JB Hi-Fi have the specs listed for the DHD on their website, they infact only have the standard version available. Talk about a tease!

No word on Telstra which leaves Vodafone my only option, should the haste factor kick in to overdrive. Resist....
    Maxfli Revolutions 3-PW

Golflink

WP7. Seriously, I reckon it'll blow you away! Unless you have some serious reason to use Android.

Omnia 7 is the pick of the bunch.

I ssed some of the first smartphones with WP OS and found it quite stable. However the Andriod platform seem to be a little more dynamic with their updates and where they are taking the software.

Just my uneducated 2 cents worth as I haven't really investigated the WP stable too much this time around.
    Maxfli Revolutions 3-PW

Golflink

Neither had I but I was blown away the first time I used it. Then I spent a good one hour or more again using it on Sunday and was convinced that it was up there as possibly the best Smartphone OS out there right now.

It's still in it's infancy but hopefully it'll get a decent following and some quirky little apps and hacks will begin to appear.

goughy

WP7 will get a following no issues. Yes MS fell a bit behind leaving 6.5 for so long, and android probably grabbed a bit of their market. But they will exist fine together. I haven't had a look at wp7 at all, but not really interested in looking at it now I'm using android. But who knows what the next phone will be. Will be interesting to see how much apps will cost for wp7. Always been dearer than apple or android.

Now we finally have an internet connection back (only had 18hours of internet the last 11 days) I'm trying to update to froyo 2.2.1 Apparently it screams.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Shavey

I just went to an Experia X10 on Vodafail. I quite like the phone, but the provider is absolutely rubbish.

I would suggest anything with Vodafail is a bad idea.

Calls drop out, I get negligable 3g coverage and ability to surf the web is poor.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by macjackass View Post
    Nexus S is supposed to be very good.
    But for some stupid reason it doesn't have an SD card slot but has 16G onboard. Seems rather short sighted considering what it's capable of.
    Maxfli Revolutions 3-PW

Golflink

Quote Originally Posted by shavey View Post
    But for some stupid reason it doesn't have an SD card slot but has 16G onboard. Seems rather short sighted considering what it's capable of.
    Oh, I didn't read that. Sorry. Have you managed to find out anymore info as to release date and plans with carriers?

Nothing confirmed but Feb looks to be the release timeframe. The HTC Desire HD is currently locked to Vodafone and there is conflicting reports as to if Telstra will have a NextG compatible version anytime soon.
    Maxfli Revolutions 3-PW

Golflink

goughy

Just go the galaxy then. You won't be disappointed, especially once you hack the shit out of it. Funny though, a friend has a desire HD and vodafone was the last carrier I thought they'd go with!

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Now we finally have an internet connection back (only had 18hours of internet the last 11 days) I'm trying to update to froyo 2.2.1 Apparently it screams.
    Is this an official update? If not where are you getting it from?
    WITB
    Odyssey 7S OG

goughy

It's officially unofficial. I've tricked kies into thinking my phone is a particular english model galaxy and then the update is available via kies. I'm sure it will come out soon. And it is substantially faster than other versions. You have to download the Kies Registry Patcher from the xda forums then off you go. That's how I got froyo in October. But it seems samsung have found someone to write software to keep up with it's hardware.

And Shavey, the nexus s is made for google by samsung (unlike the previous one by htc) and is very similar to the galaxy. In fact nexus s roms are already being ported to work for the galaxy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I got a text message from Optus referring me to optus.com.au/GalaxySUpdate for the update information.

goughy

When did you get the message V? 2.2 was released a couple of weeks ago, but the version I'm on is 2.2.1 and I'm guessing it will be out soon. A big upgrade in speed if you ask me.

Tapatalk! We don't news no stinkin' Tapatalk!

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    When did you get the message V? 2.2 was released a couple of weeks ago, but the version I'm on is 2.2.1 and I'm guessing it will be out soon. A big upgrade in speed if you ask me.

Tapatalk! We don't news no stinkin' Tapatalk!
    So do you think they have finally changed the file system to ext?
    WITB
    Odyssey 7S OG

Thread Information