Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Yeh. I can't see the point of FM radio. It's for music. That's why you have one of these devices in the first place. To listen to your own music.

AM radio for the footy etc I can understand.

Senior Member Major Winner

yeah great for listening to footy/cricket - sports tonight and any old man radio

why would you want to listen to 92.9 by choice?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaWatty View Post
    Yeh. I can't see the point of FM radio. It's for music. That's why you have one of these devices in the first place. To listen to your own music.

AM radio for the footy etc I can understand.
    That's the beauty of the different phones having different features and suiting different people.

I listen to the radio much more than I listen to albums etc.. Over the years my CD collection grew to 12 and since songs became available on the internet (legally of course ) I would have a library of nearly 100 songs stored on my computer. Most I haven't listened to in years.

One of my team at work dropped her iphone last Monday when she was putting it into her handbag. It fell about 6" onto her brick paving and shattered the screen. It was the worst luck. It was a timely reminder to me that all of these smartphones have such large glass panels that it doesn't take much of a drop to end up costing a lot of dollars. She didn't have any kind of protection on her screen. Though I don't know if that would have made any difference.

yeah i've been damn lucky so far with mine, dropped it twice putting it back into shirt pocket still all in tact.

go to the big shopping centres that have the dodgy bros selling the phone add-ons and they usually have on display heaps of smashed screens.

Dropped and broken 3.

lucky you know someone in the business that can help you out with that sort of thing hey?

Dropped and broken 3.
    Bloody hell. I'm the most clumsy person I know and am really afraid that I'm going to drop mine.

Part of what sold me on the Galaxy was when they handed me the demo to look at in the shop I typically dropped it onto the hard tile floor. The back went one way, the battery went another and the rest of the phone went another. I was mortified but they just picked it up, put it back together, switched it back on and handed it straight back to me. I didn't really want to touch it again after that. But I did end up buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    lucky you know someone in the business that can help you out with that sort of thing hey?
    Nope. 250 each time.

It may not be your cup of tea but if you jailbreak your iPhone (which is a piece of piss) it can do EVERYTHING the Galaxy does AND MORE.

And Virge is one of a minority. I know hundreds of people that have iPhone 4's and don't have a single issue with them.

Just the devils advocate speaking...
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I'd recommend getting a Galaxy
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    It may not be your cup of tea but if you jailbreak your iPhone (which is a piece of piss) it can do EVERYTHING the Galaxy does AND MORE.
    I'm actually, genuinely interested in what the more is that it can do?

Can you make the screen look like this?
    snap20101109_073342.jpgsnap20101109_073414.jpg
    Last edited by goughy; 9th November 2010 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post

Attachment 9370Attachment 9371
    Yup.

goughy

Yup.

That just makes me wanna be sick!

That just makes me wanna be sick!
    It's plastic.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I use a custom launcher that allows me to set my phone up the way I want it. I like my home screen to have a big time display and weather, and my upcoming calendar appointments etc. I don't want to have to click to other programs to see them. True out of the box it wasn't spot on, but with a few downloaded programs (most free) it was on the money. The screen is outstanding. I also have a program which allows me to automate much of the phone - I have different volume etc settings (I guess profiles) for different times of the day, plug in headphones and music app starts up, get near home and wifi turns on etc etc.
    Can you please tell me more about this?

Also, I notice you have CoPilot Live. How is that? I was thinking about buying it but need to get an SD card first apparently.

I tested the durability of my Galaxy S the other night. I dropped it at the top of the stairs and watched it bounce half way down the stairs. Then I watched the back fall off, and battery bounce out, and all three continued the rest of the trip to the concrete path at the bottom.

I was expecting the worst, but picked all three up unscratched and put it back together. All working as normal. And it's not the first time I've dropped it hard enough to make the battery fall out.

Try doing that with an iPhone.

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by Veefore View Post
    Can you please tell me more about this?
    I use a launcher program called LauncherPro instead of the standard Touchwiz. You don't delete touchwiz, it's just there in the background. It offer a lot more customisation. I made up the custom icons myself and then use a program called Desktop Visualizer which allows you to associate and image with a function (launch a program, or folder etc). There's a thread on the xda forums about how to do it. I'll pm you about the rest

For the custom profiles there are a few programs around that allow different levels of customisation, but the king is a program called Tasker. It allows you to set up various different profiles etc, and many other things. It's quite powerful for those who know how to use it properly; I'm not one of them. I have a few basic things set up (morning, day, evening and night volume profiles; screen always on when plugged in etc). You can have it send certain callers directly to voicemail or respond automatically with an sms. You can have it do things (launch programs, change settings etc) based on your position (worked out from either gps, cell towers or both). It's pretty full on.
    Last edited by goughy; 9th November 2010 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks a lot Goughy. I'll have to look into those. And thanks for the PM.

Attachment 9372Attachment 9373
    I could do something like that if I wanted to. Pretty similar anyway. That front page is way too busy for me though, couldn't stand looking at that for more than 3 seconds. Different strokes for different folks though!!!

Maybe I shouldn't have got carried away as much as I did with the "AND MORE" part as I really don't know the Galaxy all that well. But the range of things you can do with a jailbroken iPhone is huge, so I just naturally assumed...

Quote Originally Posted by poidda View Post
    I tested the durability of my Galaxy S the other night. I dropped it at the top of the stairs and watched it bounce half way down the stairs. Then I watched the back fall off, and battery bounce out, and all three continued the rest of the trip to the concrete path at the bottom.

I was expecting the worst, but picked all three up unscratched and put it back together. All working as normal. And it's not the first time I've dropped it hard enough to make the battery fall out.

Try doing that with an iPhone.
    Can't do that with an iPhone. If the battery comes out, its screwed!!!!
    Last edited by LeftyHoges; 9th November 2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

goughy

Probably seems huge because apple restrict it so much until it's jail broken. Heck, even the galaxy can do more once rooted. But in the end I'd guess a jb'ed iphone would be similar to most upper end android phones.

Funny, I liked it because it was less busy than having 20 widgets on the screen! At least it looks different from everyone elses phones. Just gotta get clikchic to come up with some other backgrounds for me to try. Not sold on that one yet.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

It has taken me two days to figure out how come your screen aspect ratio was so weird. I was thinking your Samsung was deformed or something.
    (yeah i see now that is two screenshots...)

I cant create folders for apps on my android - I guess that might be a limitation of 1.6? I will see what happens when it gets upgraded.

Attachment 9372Attachment 9373
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Loving the Galaxy now I am getting the hang of the screens and widgets and stuff. Swype typing is amazing. I can use it to type pretty much as fast as on a full-size computer keyboard.

I look forward to seeing this thing. It may be able to switch me. Love that HSDPA data speed!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/11/e...get-iphone-url

Thread Information