Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Default The role of the Marker

We have had some minor issues with rules infractions recently, which has caused some conflict due to our rules around Code of Conduct. We are now reviewing our CoC to clarify some of the specific issues that have been encountered.

The rules of golf don't have a lot on markers responsibilities other than recording a score. We have had a lot of new members join in the last year or two, and many are unfamiliar with the details of the rules of the game.

So, asking the hive mind, have your clubs provided advice on what the role of the marker is? Does Golf Australia have this advice anywhere?

I was thinking something along the lines of

The markers role is to mark and record the score of another player.

They are not a rules official, not a referee. However, they can and should provide assistance with the correct implementation of the rules of golf and the clubs local rules, to ensure that all scores recorded are accurate and maintain the integrity of the game.

If a marker sees their partner taking action that may break a rule, inadvertently or deliberately, they should raise this with the player as soon as it occurs, and preferably before a stroke is played.

Thoughts, comments welcome and appreciated.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I've never seen anything, anywhere, detailing the responsibilities of a marker. It is something you pick up through talking with other people who play the game. It is more an unwritten rule thing, as a part of golf etiquette..

I'm not sure whether it is actually necessary to spell it out, but what you have written looks quite good though.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Major Winner

You could try rule 3.3b(1) and (2)

Looks like if the marker refuses to certify a score the player should raise it with the committee to figure it out.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

The markers only responsibility is to record the score as advised by the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    The markers only responsibility is to record the score as advised by the player.
    I concur. However, what happens when the marker and player disagree on the score and the behaviours that occurred whilst getting to the score - such as allegedly improving the balls position or lie? They agreed to disagree and DQ, which was not quite an acknowledgment of guilt, but may have mitigated further action.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    You could try rule 3.3b(1) and (2)

Looks like if the marker refuses to certify a score the player should raise it with the committee to figure it out.
    And thats what we are trying to do. There is always three versions of the truth.

Chopperlink

WITB

When that happens its up to the Match Committee to intervene, that is their role and responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    When that happens its up to the Match Committee to intervene, that is their role and responsibility.
    And as a new member of the match committee, thats why I am asking for advice.

As a well travelled and experienced golfer, if you were match committee with the limited information I have provided, what would you recommend as a course of action? Purely hypothetically of course.

Chopperlink

WITB

The role of the match committee is to essentially run the competition golf. It's an all encompassing broad role, reasonably defined here:

https://archive.golf.org.au/2021/02/...tch-committee/

If you have a cheat, then I would expect the MC investigates the allegations, and rules in accordance with your Clubs constitution or policies and proceedures, which may also involve the general committee being involved.

Member Trainee Pro

3.3b
    Scoring in Stroke Play

The player’s score is kept on their scorecard by the marker, who is either identified by the Committee or chosen by the player in a way approved by the Committee.The player must have the same marker for the entire round, unless the Committee approves a change either before or after it happens.(1) Marker’s Responsibility: Entering and Certifying Hole Scores on Scorecard. After each hole during the round, the marker should confirm with the player the number of strokes on that hole (including strokes made and penalty strokes) and enter that gross score on the scorecard.When the round has ended:
    • The marker must certify the hole scores on the scorecard.
    • If the player had more than one marker, each marker must certify the scores for those holes where they were the marker, but if one of the markers saw the player play all of the holes, that marker may certify the scores for all the holes.
    A marker may refuse to certify a player’s hole score that the marker believes is wrong. In such a case, the Committee will need to consider the available evidence and make a decision on the player’s score on the hole. If the marker still refuses to certify the player’s score, the Committee may certify the hole score or accept certification from someone else who saw the player’s actions on the hole in question.If a marker, who is a player, knowingly certifies a wrong score for a hole, the marker should be disqualified under Rule 1.2a.

That's From the R&A website and would be how I always understood a markers responsibility. You can write whatever number someone tells you but you can refuse to sign off on it if you feel there is wrong doing.

Last edited by rickie prowler; 8th March 2024 at 02:56 PM.
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    And as a new member of the match committee, thats why I am asking for advice.

As a well travelled and experienced golfer, if you were match committee with the limited information I have provided, what would you recommend as a course of action? Purely hypothetically of course.
    Were there others in the group? Have you guys spoken with them?

Each others respective wives.
    Who are/were best friends.

It's all a bit poo

Chopperlink

WITB

They are not a rules official, not a referee. However, they can and should provide assistance with the correct implementation of the rules of golf and the clubs local rules, to ensure that all scores recorded are accurate and maintain the integrity of the game. If a marker sees their partner taking action that may break a rule, inadvertently or deliberately, they should raise this with the player as soon as it occurs, and preferably before a stroke is played.
    Nope, its wrong to put this onus on the marker. this is really the responsibility or every member, even those not playing in that group. Thoughts, comments welcome and appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Nope, its wrong to put this onus on the marker. this is really the responsibility or every member, even those not playing in that group. Thoughts, comments welcome and appreciated.
    This is a little comical. PeterCool was beaten up for not actually taking notice, and now I ask if we should put some responsibility on the marker, and everyone says 'its not their job'Ahh, golfers

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Can a marker not refuse to sign a players card?
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

A marker can refuse to sign the card if they disagree with the score

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

The role of the marker is to indicate the position of the ball on the course, when it has been lifted.

Two things associated with this that may need addressing. Firstly, is there a documented escalation process at the club, where disputes can be addressed?
    I think this used to come under the umbrella of the match committee, but that is of little use if the players (particularly new members) don't know who the committee members are, or the committee are not present that day or are out playing their own game.

Secondly, when I started, all new members were given provisional membership, the proposer/seconder had the responsibility of being your mentor (and convenient sounding boards) and you couldn't enter a comp without a handicap. Now, anyone can join a golf club at the bar/reception desk, shown how to book a tee time online and that the other players will mark your card. After 3 cards, you will get a handicap.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I know most members at our club wouldn’t call someone out for doing the wrong thing even if they are the marker. No one wants to be known as the rules nazi.

At the end of the day the marker is there to take down the score they are told. With miscore I’ve seen a person change the score after the person has left and submitted it because they didn’t agree with what was said:

Like Dotty said, I wouldn’t have a clue who our match committee are. I know some board members but they would all be out on course.

Blog Entries

This is a little comical. PeterCool was beaten up for not actually taking notice, and now I ask if we should put some responsibility on the marker, and everyone says 'its not their job'Ahh, golfers
    PeterCool sympathiser eh?

Thread Information