Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34 74 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 2127
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

A lake doesnt have to be marked by stakes to be a penalty area, it is by definition, obviously a lake is a lake. The only purpose of the stakes is to define it as Red or Yellow. This has always been the case for the old rules as well, the natural border of the lake/creek is in fact the margin of the penalty area, unless otherwise marked.
    A penalty area is:

• Any body of water on the course (whether or not marked by the Committee), including a sea, lake, pond, river, ditch, surface drainage ditch or other open watercourse (even if not containing water), and
    • Any other part of the course the Committee defines as a penalty area.
    It comes down to that definition whether its a penalty area or the general area.

IMO for example an unstaked shallow depression that runs across the fairway to channel water that is cut to fairway height is definitely not a "drainage ditch", even if at some point there is a pipe somewhere along it.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    It's not in the local rules. No stakes, from memory, therefore play it as it lies, although casual water would apply. The man made obstruction rule should apply to the concrete, and a drop would be allowed.
    That’s similar to what I have always thought. Came up on Saturday as a guy landed in it, and due to all the rain had water, his marker gave him casual wanted and free drop. Think I’ll ask Frank when I see him just so i know.I have a fear of playing really good one day and they getting dq due to not knowing.The other one that gets me is the 3rd drop zone. They used to have a white line marking all the tank and house but it’s been gone for ages

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Question for all.

Playing 4BBB, prizes for scratch and handicap. Playing with my father, I am off 2, he is off 32. First hole I make 5 for 1, he makes 6 for 2. When do we have to decide which score to use?

You pick the best score for each hole I thought. Don’t have to nominate before hand

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    Question for all.

Playing 4BBB, prizes for scratch and handicap. Playing with my father, I am off 2, he is off 32. First hole I make 5 for 1, he makes 6 for 2. When do we have to decide which score to use?
    I doubt you would win the gross with those handicaps, so take the 6/2

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Question for all.Playing 4BBB, prizes for scratch and handicap. Playing with my father, I am off 2, he is off 32. First hole I make 5 for 1, he makes 6 for 2. When do we have to decide which score to use?
    They are seperate comps, so I reckon you can take both. 5 for scratch and 2 for nett..
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Question for all.

The Handicap event would be the primary event, so that is the one that counts first. I'm never in contention for scratch events so I don't know for sure, but I suspect the scratch is calculated from the score that has been entered.

The Miscore App may come to your rescue though, depending on how the event has been set up. If you are recording both scores, and the app picks the best one, both scores may count for calculation of the scratch.

Did you use the app? If so, what happened?
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    I doubt you would win the gross with those handicaps, so take the 6/2

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    Small country event. Took the scratch and won it. No where near it on handicap.

Quote Originally Posted by Minor_Threat View Post
    They are seperate comps, so I reckon you can take both. 5 for scratch and 2 for nett..
    2 separate cards then?

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    The Handicap event would be the primary event, so that is the one that counts first. I'm never in contention for scratch events so I don't know for sure, but I suspect the scratch is calculated from the score that has been entered.

The Miscore App may come to your rescue though, depending on how the event has been set up. If you are recording both scores, and the app picks the best one, both scores may count for calculation of the scratch.

Did you use the app? If so, what happened?
    No app mate. just hand written score cards, old school style!

Quick question while i am still sleeping in airports and in mourning over lost golf clubs.

Are Ping Eye 2+ irons conforming for national golf events? I know they are ok for club events but not sure for higher level.

I got Qld state senior coming up next week, and these old bats are the most convenient ones to borrow.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Quick question while i am still sleeping in airports and in mourning over lost golf clubs.

Are Ping Eye 2+ irons conforming for national golf events? I know they are ok for club events but not sure for higher level.

I got Qld state senior coming up next week, and these old bats are the most convenient ones to borrow.
    https://ping.com/en-us/legal/groove-rule

Thanks Dave, so its conforming for all amatuer events except national events, For Qld State event they say they adopt GA Hard Card, which could mean they adopt national rules. I will need to make a phone call.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Question about preferred lie. Can you use this to place the ball in a situation that would then give you free relief from another thing?

Example below

Local rule in place with tree roots, if tree root interference with swing free drop. Ball ends up at the base of tree, player uses preferred line to move the ball close enough to tree root that would then give relief to get away for the tree and give them a shot

Quote Originally Posted by bdoug10 View Post
    Question about preferred lie. Can you use this to place the ball in a situation that would then give you free relief from another thing?

Example below

Local rule in place with tree roots, if tree root interference with swing free drop. Ball ends up at the base of tree, player uses preferred line to move the ball close enough to tree root that would then give relief to get away for the tree and give them a shot
    No, a preferred lie can come after relief taken, but cannot precede it.

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Default One for the rules gurus.

You can not prefer to an unacceptable lie, as the term lends itself to, it must be the preferred lie hence if a tree root is preferable over a tree that is it.

Had an interesting question from a fellow player on Wednesday. He played in the final group for the C Grade Club Championships on Saturday. One of the players had a Caddy, who was a low marker member who had played the course in the morning. Was that legal? I did not know off hand, but vaguely recalled something about this relating to an Australian player in an US Amateur a few years ago (Matchplay vs Stroke relevance?).

Anyway a google brought up this link;

https://golf.com/instruction/rules/h...nother-player/

So it would seem it is within the rules.

The player in question shot 6 shots better than his previous best round for a nett 63, to win the gross by 11 and the nett by 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    The player in question shot 6 shots better than his previous best round for a nett 63, to win the gross by 11 and the nett by 24.
    I'm not aware of the rules on this, but the score difference doesn't surprise me. Get a good caddie, and listen to him/her, and the average C grader will save 5+ shots, easy. Even in B grade it'd be a big advantage.

That ruling brings up a vague situation - GC pennant mentioned in the conditions of play(since removed) that a player cannot receive advice from a team member.

So, considering that a golfer cant receive advice from anyone other than his own caddy anyway, then that rule must mean something. i think that the correct interpretation of this, is that when a player finishes his match early, he is by definition still a member of the team and thus cannot caddy for another.

of course someone could say that a person is pushing the bag but not a caddy, but that is a blurry line also. Can a person push a bag and not be a caddy, or is a caddy deemed to be giving advice even if he doesnt.

Had a very heated conversation once about this, which was kinda funny as it escalated as the bloke clearly knew he crossed the line. We were playing Pennant in fours (yuck) I am the captain of my team, playing a kid, and his dad in team shirt pops up and caddies for him on the 15th. At first i didnt give a crap because i was 3 down, but from 16th tee to fairway he was non stop telling his son what to do, speaking softly. I couldnt remember if the dad had played or caddied for another, and as we had a long wait to approach the green i eventually got sick of this, its supposed to be one against one, not one against two.

So i just walked over a bit closer to him and politely interupted his conversations, "Sorry I cant remember, did you play in the team?" he got stroppy straight up "just pushing the bag MATE", obviously he knew the rule, but I have no idea why he got so snarky straight up. i played him years before and thought he was a decent fella.

So as he was being a nob and avoided the question I wasnt gonna let that go, I asked him about 3 more times politely and got the same answer, eventually he is yelling back at me. By this time his teammate in our group is trying to play his shot, who gets the shits with all the yelling, and he starts yelling too. There is a whole bunch of people around mostly their mob including their captain so I he comes over and we have a nice chat, we already knew each other before. The Captain says yes the dad is another player, so I reminded him/them the dad cant give advice, and goes back and talks to his players. I didnt hit him with the hard question "did you give advice" because it was never my intention to enforce the rule, as my ass was already kicked being dormie, but i was well and truly entitled to. He knew he was breaking the rule.

anyway poor kid who had said nothing through all this may have been shaken, I won the next two holes with pars, but i tanked myself on the last, i actually felt sorry for him, haha.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 29th September 2022 at 05:07 PM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

That ruling brings up a vague situation - GC pennant mentioned in the conditions of play(since removed) that a player cannot receive advice from a team member.

So, considering that a golfer cant receive advice from anyone other than his own caddy anyway, then that rule must mean something. i think that the correct interpretation of this, is that when a player finishes his match early, he is by definition still a member of the team and thus cannot caddy for another.

of course someone could say that a person is pushing the bag but not a caddy, but that is a blurry line also. Can a person push a bag and not be a caddy, or is a caddy deemed to be giving advice even if he doesnt.

Had a very heated conversation once about this, which was kinda funny as it escalated as the bloke clearly knew he crossed the line. We were playing Pennant in fours (yuck) I am the captain of my team, playing a kid, and his dad in team shirt pops up and caddies for him on the 15th. At first i didnt give a crap because i was 3 down, but from 16th tee to fairway he was non stop telling his son what to do, speaking softly. I couldnt remember if the dad had played or caddied for another, and as we had a long wait to approach the green i eventually got sick of this, its supposed to be one against one, not one against two.

So i just walked over a bit closer to him and politely interupted his conversations, "Sorry I cant remember, did you play in the team?" he got stroppy straight up "just pushing the bag MATE", obviously he knew the rule, but I have no idea why he got so snarky straight up. i played him years before and thought he was a decent fella.

So as he was being a nob and avoided the question I wasnt gonna let that go, I asked him about 3 more times politely and got the same answer, eventually he is yelling back at me. By this time his teammate in our group is trying to play his shot, who gets the shits with all the yelling, and he starts yelling too. There is a whole bunch of people around mostly their mob including their captain so I he comes over and we have a nice chat, we already knew each other before. The Captain says yes the dad is another player, so I reminded him/them the dad cant give advice, and goes back and talks to his players. I didnt hit him with the hard question "did you give advice" because it was never my intention to enforce the rule, as my ass was already kicked being dormie, but i was well and truly entitled to. He knew he was breaking the rule.

anyway poor kid who had said nothing through all this may have been shaken, I won the next two holes with pars, but i tanked myself on the last, i actually felt sorry for him, haha.
    Had a situation this year in pennant where I’d finished my match and was helping one of the young guys (ThreeWood actually) with his options taking a drop on a playoff hole.

There was a rules official there who was nice enough to tell me in advance not to say anything that could be considered advice.

I was sure of the rule, but still asked if I could nominate as his caddy as my match was done and there was no issue with that.

Here's one that came up recently. Match-Play, player A is 1 up with one hole to play, a par 4.

Player A is on the green in 2 about 20ft out. Player B missed the green in regulation but chips it up to 6ft and marks his ball. He has hit 3 shots and will be putting for par.

Player A has two putts to win the match and lags his putt to a foot. The putt is conceded and the hats come off, players shake hands.

Is the match score 1-up or 2-up for player A?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Player A would normally give player B the 6 footer.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Player A would normally give player B the 6 footer.
    They were both struggling on the greens and 6 footers were not being conceded. Even so, are you implying that in the situation above it is understood that player B's 6-footer is assumed to have been conceded after player A had his par conceded? In which case the match result should stand at 1-up?

Maxbxi. As player B has picked up his ball then he has conceded the hole.

However player A would have to be a complete ahole to claim the hole.

Though holes won can make a difference in Pennant ladder countbacks, if that mattered in the last round all players should be acutely aware of that scenario
    --
    Handy-Cap

Maxbxi. As player B has picked up his ball then he has conceded the hole.

However player A would have to be a complete ahole to claim the hole.

Though holes won can make a difference in Pennant ladder countbacks, if that mattered in the last round all players should be acutely aware of that scenario
    Thanks Mark. Of note: this was not a Pennant match and the score itself has no impact on anything else, I was just curious.

I agree with everything you said above. I think it comes down to the following options as to what happenned or what was inferred:

1) player B conceded the *hole*, match score is 2-up
    2) player B conceded the stroke, player A does not concede B's putt, B picks up his ball and hole is lost, score is 2-up
    3) player B conceded the stroke, losing the match, player A then concedes player B's putt, match score is 1-up

Probably comes down to asking player A: did you concede his putt on the 18th? I'm not sure they would have put a lot of thought into that once the match was won.

Blog Entries

The match is over, no-one cares whether it is 1up or 2up.
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

The score recorded in a Ryder Cup match would be 1up, safe to assume you can do the same in club competition.

Thread Information