Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 52 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Fit has a history of questionable attempted rulings at KBay.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

JC, so this is what you're saying...

20-2 DROPPING AND REDROPPING

c. When to Re-Drop

A dropped ball must be re-dropped, without penalty, if it:
    (i) rolls into and comes to rest in a hazard;
    (ii) rolls out of and comes to rest outside a hazard;
    (iii) rolls onto and comes to rest on a putting green;
    (iv) rolls and comes to rest out of bounds;
    (v) rolls to and comes to rest in a position where there is interference by the condition from which relief was taken under Rule 24-2b (immovable obstruction), Rule 25-1 (abnormal ground conditions), Rule 25-3 (wrong putting green) or a Local Rule (Rule 33-8a), or rolls back into the pitch-mark from which it was lifted under Rule 25-2 (embedded ball);
    (vi) rolls and comes to rest more than two club-lengths from where it first struck a part of the course; or
    (vii) rolls and comes to rest nearer the hole than:
    (a) its original position or estimated position (see Rule 20-2b) unless otherwise permitted by the Rules; or
    (b) the nearest point of relief or maximum available relief (Rule 24-2, 25-1 or 25-3); or
    (c) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or lateral water hazard (Rule 26-1).
    If the ball when re-dropped rolls into any position listed above, it must be placed as near as possible to the spot where it first struck a part of the course when re-dropped.
    Note 1: If a ball when dropped or re-dropped comes to rest and subsequently moves, the ball must be played as it lies, unless the provisions of any other Rule apply.
    Note 2: If a ball to be re-dropped or placed under this Rule is not immediately recoverable, another ball may be substituted.
    (Use of dropping zone - see Appendix 1, Part B, Section B)
    PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 20-1, 20-2 or 20-3:
    Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.

AND YOU'RE CALLING ME A CHEAT...WITH A HISTORY OF CHEATING, (or attempted cheating!).
    Last edited by TourFit; 11th February 2011 at 01:05 AM.

That's what JC said. Two club lengths roll from where it hits the ground. I can see a shit fight about to happen here. I pre-empt it by saying I was unsure. Fit, JC is gonna come after you. Please don't bite!

He's obviously got nothing better to do...

...not with Golfnuts' missus tonight then???

Quote Originally Posted by MegaWatty View Post
    That's what JC said. Two club lengths roll from where it hits the ground. I can see a shit fight about to happen here. I pre-empt it by saying I was unsure. Fit, JC is gonna come after you. Please don't bite!
    Bite you or bite at his baiting...?

If it proves to be the correct ruling, then I will happily call KB and get them to apply the specified penalty and hence disqualify me for signing an incorrect card. If I have been in breach, then I can do no more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by TourFit View Post
    Is there a penalty though for redropping your ball WITHIN the two clublengths...? I think not...it clearly states that you must be within TWO clublengths of the original position. So when I dropped it bounced OUTSIDE of where my tee marked the two clublengths limit. So I re-dropped WITHIN that two clublength limit...as far as I know you there is no pseudo 4 clublength limit. It can roll more than a clublength but only WITHIN that two clublength limit, but as soon as that distance is breached the ball must be redropped inside.

JC, so this is what you're saying...

20-2 DROPPING AND REDROPPING

c. When to Re-Drop

A dropped ball must be re-dropped, without penalty, if it:
    (vi) rolls and comes to rest more than two club-lengths from where it first struck a part of the course;

AND YOU'RE CALLING ME A CHEAT...WITH A HISTORY OF CHEATING, (or attempted cheating!).
    It sounds like you are a little confused Fit. If you cheated, it was unintentional.

Let's examine your first post: Tourfit said: "it clearly states that you must be within TWO clublengths of the original position." - No it doesn't. Your dropping radius is two clublengths of the original position, no nearer to the hole.

Tourfit said: "So when I dropped it bounced OUTSIDE of where my tee marked the two clublengths limit." - Once you drop the ball, the tee that marked the two clublength limit is irrelevant, provided the ball first struck the course inside of the two length limit. It can then roll up to another two clublengths. Please refer to the rule you quoted: "(vi) rolls and comes to rest more than two club-lengths from where it first struck a part of the course"

Tourfit said: "So I re-dropped WITHIN that two clublength limit" - A re drop was not required as the first was legit. Your ball was in play and you picked it up. Penalty. One stroke, replace your ball.

Tourfit said: "It can roll more than a clublength but only WITHIN that two clublength limit, but as soon as that distance is breached the ball must be redropped inside." - It can actually roll up to two clublengths. As previously stated, you must wait for the ball to stop rolling, unless you are certain it won't roll back inside the 2 clublengths. Appleby got done for this a few years back.

The only way you could have redropped by the sound of things Fit is if your original drop struck the course outside of the two clublength tee that you had put down.

On a side note, I hope you placed a tee in the ground when you declared the unplayable and picked up your ball. Otherwise, you're looking at another penalty there too.

It's not sheep stations and it was behind the ladies tees. Don't stress. I simply put it in here because I wasn't sure. Bloody Simmsy opened his keyboard mouth.

No shit fight at all. I am not coming after Fit. I am 100% sure on this ruling and am trying to nicely explain it. For once, no sarcasm.

He's obviously got nothing better to do...

...not with Golfnuts' missus tonight then???
    Who is baiting who here?

Bite you or bite at his baiting...?

If it proves to be the correct ruling, then I will happily call KB and get them to apply the specified penalty and hence disqualify me for signing an incorrect card. If I have been in breach, then I can do no more, no less.
    I not saying to go to that length, it is not my intention at all.

The confusion seems to stem from the fact that the ball does not need to finish inside the original two clublengths that you mark off before you drop the ball, which is a common misconception.

I actually called out a pro who thought it was only allowed to roll 1 clublength before it was re-dropped, in a club championship, nonetheless. I'm very familiar with this ruling, as a result.

It's not sheep stations and it was behind the ladies tees. Don't stress. I simply put it in here because I wasn't sure. Bloody Simmsy opened his keyboard mouth.
    Jug City!

Actually, I did place a tee in the ground at the original point BEFORE picking up the ball. I always do. I placed a second tee at one clublength (no nearer the hole), and the final tee at two clublengths (no nearer the hole).

I dropped the ball from shoulder height, and it landed within the two clublengths.

However, the reason I re-dropped was because it bounced closer to the hole than the original position, by about 6 inches.

Now why don't you go back to bed...I suggest you let Golfnut cuddle his missus tonight and just spoon him instead.

Two for you:

2. You have an unplayable so you take the two club lengths. You drop your ball inside the two club limit but it bounces outside of that limit.
    Is there a penalty though for redropping your ball WITHIN the two clublengths...? I think not...it clearly states that you must be within TWO clublengths of the original position. So when I dropped it bounced OUTSIDE of where my tee marked the two clublengths limit. So I re-dropped WITHIN that two clublength limit...as far as I know you there is no pseudo 4 clublength limit. It can roll more than a clublength but only WITHIN that two clublength limit, but as soon as that distance is breached the ball must be redropped inside.
    I dropped the ball from shoulder height, and it landed within the two clublengths.

However, the reason I re-dropped was because it bounced closer to the hole than the original position, by about 6 inches.

Now why don't you go back to bed...I suggest you let Golfnut cuddle his missus tonight and just spoon him instead.

The story has changed now that you understand the ruling. Highly amusing. Someone can't admit he made a mistake. It's ok Fit. I still love you.

But I am still disappoint.
    Last edited by Johnny Canuck; 11th February 2011 at 02:23 AM. Reason: tidy up

Do you get it yet TF - yes you have potentially up to 4 clublengths releif depending on how much roll you can get on it.

Now here is another one for ya. If you are taking an unplayable lie - lets say your Prov1 is up against a tree, can you chuck it away and drop a Bridestone 330s under the unplayable rule?

28 - BALL UNPLAYABLE
    The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable.
    If the player deems his ball to be unplayable, he must under penalty of one stroke:
    Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or
    Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or
    Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.
    If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in the bunker.
    When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball.
    PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE:
    Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Fully legal Blakey. When taking an unplayable, you can substitute a ball.
    Last edited by Johnny Canuck; 11th February 2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Autocorrect doesn't play golf

Yes, something I learnt at the rules seminar i went to recently. The main thing they were highlighting this time was that the rules are very explicit when referring to "the" ball and "a" ball, and the exam had several questions on that topic.

I think it is something most golfers would never have noticed in the rules.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I realised the use of words in the rules a couple of years ago when I thought it was compulsory to use a coin like object to mark the rules. The rules use definite phrases, optional phrases and best practice phrases.

Blog Entries

What did I say about the bunker?

Re-create the lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    The story has changed now that you understand the ruling. Highly amusing. Someone can't admit he made a mistake. It's ok Fit. I still love you.

But I am still disappoint.

So you're STILL calling me a cheat then...AND NOW A LIAR AS WELL.

If the ball hadn't moved forward of the original position, in truth, I would have re-dropped it anyway because it was outside the two clublengths, which was what I perceived to be right.

The fact that I originally forgot to mention that it HAD rolled forward from the drop (I was starting to see the red mist by then!!!) is neither here nor there in terms of this story. Forgetting to mention something is not cheating, it is forgetting something....

As soon as the ball moved forward of the original position, my perception of the two clublength rule becomes a moot point. I got lucky, in reality, because as I just mentioned, I would have re-dropped anyway EVEN IF IT HAD BEEN BEHIND THAT ORIGINAL POSITION.

And I would, under those circumstances, have copped a penalty resulting in DQ (again, happy to cop if that had been the case).
    Last edited by TourFit; 11th February 2011 at 01:05 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I had any interesting one the other week in Stableford comp.

Most weeks i carry my bag but this time took my buggy. I left the buggy part way down one of the fairways and went to tee off.

The tee shot collected trees about 50m down the fairway and dropped down and landed on my buggy - penalty

Move the buggy and played the next shot - clipped a branch and rolled under the buggy again - took a penalty and picked up the ball !

I was glad it wasn't a stroke round, one of those things that you think would never happen but remember folks to keep your buggy etc out of the way !

Actually it would have been an interesting ruling on the second one, the ball rolled under the buggy but i couldn't tell whether it had actually touched it or not on the way thru. No one else could verify. I gather i could have just played it without penalty and moved the buggy as a moveable obstruction?
    You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

The ruling talks about the ball being deflected or stopped, so if no one believed it had been deflected or stopped by the buggy then it should not be a penalty (IMO)

I am not sure whether the buggy then becomes a movable obstruction as the rule book seems to define it as equipment or an outside agency, but if it can be defined as a movable obstruction you can move it without penalty. If the ball moves as a result of moving the buggy the ball is replaced without penalty.

Definitely interested in hearing other points of view on this.
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

So you're STILL calling me a cheat then...AND NOW A LIAR AS WELL.

If the ball hadn't moved forward of the original position, in truth, I would have re-dropped it anyway because it was outside the two clublengths, which was what I perceived to be right.

The fact that I originally forgot to mention that it HAD rolled forward from the drop (I was starting to see the red mist by then!!!) is neither here nor there in terms of this story. Forgetting to mention something is not cheating, it is forgetting something....

As soon as the ball moved forward of the original position, my perception of the two clublength rule becomes a moot point. I got lucky, in reality, because as I just mentioned, I would have re-dropped anyway EVEN IF IT HAD BEEN BEHIND THAT ORIGINAL POSITION.

And I would, under those circumstances, have copped a penalty resulting in DQ (again, happy to cop if that had been the case).
    Not calling you a cheat, just saying that you unintentionally cheated. There is a big difference.

I just find it funny how you would fail to state that the ball was closer to the hole as everyone knows this ruling. You also highlighted #6 in the rules and #7 was about moving closer to the hole.

Plus, Mega and Simmsy said it definitely didn't move closer to the hole.

I am getting even more disappoint.

I didn't say it didn't move closer. I was simply unaware of why it was re-dropped.

That's not what you sms'd me. nice message from beiber, by the way. what a little poof.

You're such a dick. I knew you'd struggle to not try an fire up fit a little. Now you say I SMS'd you. I am sitting here giggling knowing that you probably are too and fit's probably raging.

For the record, I haven't SMS'd or PM'd the Canuck about this.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaWattySMSMessage View Post
    Don't believe Fit. He is just trying to cover his wobbling 3-striped duck ass. There is no way the ball moved forward. Simmsy agrees . I don't think he's forgiven fit for not gluing the head on his driver. Don't tell Fit I said this unless you really have too. I am very disappoint too.
    You didn't message? What's this?

Thread Information