Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: A moral dilemma

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I know a parking inspector who could use a new gig...
    I couldn't afford the pay cut, and marto and I would get no work done.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Driving down here every day for 4 or 5 hours at $20 an hour ... hardly worth it mate, unfortunately.

Self Appointed Matchplay Nazi.
    Elite Endurance Athlete.
    Proud Blue Arseclown. Vocal Minority.

In the bag ...

Driver - Ping I15 9.5 Stiff Shaft.
    3W - RBZ
    Hybrids - Titleist 913 17 and 22 deg.
    Irons - Ping I5's
    Wedges - Titleist Oilcan
    Putter - Rife Deep Blue

http://www.golflink.com.au/handicap-history/?golflink_No=4010200385
    http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Marto65

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Right decision Marto. I reckon she's full of shit and just scared of the work.
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

*sniff sniff*

Smells like bull**** to me Marto, think you made the right call. Got to utilise the knowledge of the outgoing person before it walks out the door.
    Whenever I hear the term "long term unemployed" what I hear is "not willing to do whatever turns up and pays the bills." If I lost my job, I'd take anything I could get to keep some money coming in while looking for something ideal. Might be overly simplistic but for loads of cases, probably not.
    Ping, Callaway, Wilson Staff, Cleveland, Odyssey & Bridgestone - the United Nations of golf gear

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Yep, sleep easy tonight Marto...you did nothing wrong.

- She never called you to notify you she wouldn't arrive. However the employment agency was informed.

- First day no show's, regardless of the reasons, are always a worry.

- You where under a deadline pressure so you have to do whatever is needed.

I fired one kid after 2 months when he was repeatedly late, was repeatedly caught not at his desk, documented repeated errors etc etc.

2 days later he comes in and threatens me with a court case for unfair dismissal and "I got a 6 month contract". My response was you had a 6 month contract if you did your duties, you didn't do your duties, but don't worry junior, if you feel that way I guess I can expect a letter from your lawyer, so F#&$ orf.

A week later..CENTRELINK rang...centrelink...apparently he was sitting there and they demanded why he was fired and how I could be in a legal issue and would have to rehire him. I took a breath and asked the idiot what he had been told as to why he was fired. "He says he was late once while looking after his sick mother and grandparents."

After he was informed that I had documented proof of ongoing issues with punctuality and general duties and in game proof of his World of Warcraft character being logged in and playing at the exact time I called him with regard to "where the hell are you?" and that if the little bugger said that it was a mate on his account I was more than happy to report that to Blizzard and have his account banned (this guy was a massive WOW junky so that would have made him sweat) the phone went quite. He put me on hold, talked to my ex employee than said to me "sorry for the misunderstanding" and hung up.

I had his name, marched down to the local centrelink, got him and his boss to the front desk than made it quite clear Centrelink did not have the responsibility or the right to question me on these issues and who did I have to see about the mental anguish placed upon me by this incompetent douche......that was the most fun of the day. I just wanted this guy to get a warning, I reckon he got fired after that one

After the 10th "job seeker" each week who comes in with thongs, tank top and a hand written scribbled bit of paper ripped from the corner of a used bit of paper with their name scrawled on it and the words grunted "I want a job". Followed by when centrelink call here is my name......because apparently that is "actively seeking a job"...you start losing sympathy for "job seekers".

People who have never employed others never see this side, and wonder why genuine job seekers get the raw end of the deal. There it is people, for every honest, genuine job seeker, there are 50 "I know my rights" lazy jack ass douches who make your job seeking bloody hard as the employer is already looking out for those other 50 sifting through the garbage looking for that 1.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Nice one Slothman. Glad you chased it up with Centrelink.

Marto, at first I thought it might have been a tough call but realised she didn't call you. Stuff her. I reckon she woke up and it was hard to get out of bed before 9 and thought she'd have another day bludging.

My wife runs a trade training centre at a local high school. From the constant stories about trying to keep these kids in placements there really does seem to be this huge sense of entitlement these day.

Gen Y has serious issues, but funnily enough it's Gen X that allowed these issues to occur.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Senior Member Major Winner

Piss poor form that she didn't ring you direct.

Just to put everything in context, how many ball markers per hour was she to be paid?
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lagerlover View Post
    Piss poor form that she didn't ring you direct.

Just to put everything in context, how many ball markers per hour was she to be paid?
    One per 'job'.

Now I remember why you got 2.

Self Appointed Matchplay Nazi.
    Elite Endurance Athlete.
    Proud Blue Arseclown. Vocal Minority.

In the bag ...

Driver - Ping I15 9.5 Stiff Shaft.
    3W - RBZ
    Hybrids - Titleist 913 17 and 22 deg.
    Irons - Ping I5's
    Wedges - Titleist Oilcan
    Putter - Rife Deep Blue

http://www.golflink.com.au/handicap-history/?golflink_No=4010200385
    http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Marto65

Haha..

See "glory hole" reference, 3pp is all over it.

If, like Lance Storm, I can be serious for a moment I reckon the offer of employment is about where your generosity/goodwill/whatever you want to call it ends.

At that point it's up to her to do the rest and if the heart attack story is real then it's unfortunate but not a potential employer's responsibility to play social worker.

so cold.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    If, like Lance Storm, I can be serious for a moment I reckon the offer of employment is about where your generosity/goodwill/whatever you want to call it ends.

At that point it's up to her to do the rest and if the heart attack story is real then it's unfortunate but not a potential employer's responsibility to play social worker.
    Bin - f#$%ing - go

Easy one.

As an employer, your responsibility is to your business, so you are doing the right thing by taking the next person on the list. If your person is a genuine job seeker, she'll be used to rejection. If she contacts you directly, you can use Goughy's point that you thought she should care of her mother first. You can also encourage her by saying she'll be next in line if another vacancy arises.

Gee people are cynical on the internet. Usually people don't lie about things like heart attacks and other very serious illnesses. If she was lying she would've said her mother was sick without being so specific.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner
    Blog Entries

The only issue u may have is if she has signed a contract and returned it to you.

Wouldn't be a huge issue, but maybe a minor headache
    long and soft

GL: 6011911179

Surely she breached that contract by not turning up on the first day and not notifying her employer.

Not to mention that most employment contracts these days have a probationary period where employees can be let go if they're not working out.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

If her mother had a heart attack she would be spending 3/4 of the day twiddling thumbs in hospital. Plenty of time to make 30 second phone call.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

dont know if you guys understand the role of an employment agency. as marto is not actually her employer she has no obligation to contact marto directly, it is the agencies responsibility to forward her unavailability onto marto. in my role we have a lot of agency casuals come and go, i dont feel guilty when giving them the boot if theyre not a suitable fit for the role or have attendance issues.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Or don't use punctuation?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

You done the right thing mate. Candidates lie...it's simple as that.

In my experience with recruitment especially industrial/blue collar work is that the long term unemployed are mostly that way cos they want to be or they just don't have the drive/discipline to maintain employment once they get a job.

The amount of times over the years I've heard or received an email from a candidate that they declining a job offer or leaving a job because of, family issues overseas, death in the family, had a car accident it's a joke.

Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by IamViva View Post
    dont know if you guys understand the role of an employment agency. as marto is not actually her employer she has no obligation to contact marto directly, it is the agencies responsibility to forward her unavailability onto marto. in my role we have a lot of agency casuals come and go, i dont feel guilty when giving them the boot if theyre not a suitable fit for the role or have attendance issues.
    Depends really. There are labour hire companies where the employee is paid and employed by the labour hire company - eg Skilled. Then there are employment agencies whose role is to find long term unemployed people jobs. They (and the employer, often) are paid govt incentives to place people in work. But the employment agreement is between the staff member and the company employing them, the employment agency basically just gets a commission for hooking them up.

I am only reading between the lines but it sounds like Marto went through the latter not the former.

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Or don't use punctuation?

posted from my phone, could really give two ****s

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by haysey View Post
    Before I get started. HTF do you spell dilemma? I'd swear I was taught to spell it dilemna but firefox's spell check recommends dilemma. Weird

I told this story to Mike today and he suggested I post it here.

I have this friend, lets call him maysey. Maysey has a much younger brother, said brother is engaged to be married....to a stripper. Now this is ordinarily not a problem to maysey. What people choose to do for a living is entirely up to them, blah, blah, blah. You get the idea.

So, what's the problem?

This weekend maysey is going to a bucks party...at the future SIL's place of employment. And the assclowns that have organised this little soiree have specifically requested SIL be there.

Now maysey's a little torn by this. He probably should go to the bucks party but he's finding the thought of an undressed SIL a little disturbing. Naked chicks...good, naked SIL...bad. Might also make for interesting dinner convo next time maysey has them over.

So, what to do?

1/ Stay at home.
    2/ Go along. Wait outside until the party moves on
    3/ Go in. Go nuts. Grab a lappy. She's not really his SIL yet and therefore fair game.
    Are they still married??

Thread Information