Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default 2011 Qld Matchplay - Register by 31/10

It's time for some nominations for the next matchplay season. Last year we had 33 nominations, but with a forfeit early, we ended up with a full 32 person draw.

Starting up now means there could be some qualifers played before the new year, if necessary, so I will accept more than 32 players.

There was some talk last year of having pools, but I don't think it will work as we have too many people. More matches equals more forfeits, although we did well this year.

Note that nominating for this comp, means you may need to make a sacrifice at some stage to get your match played. If you know you will won't have much time to play, and it will be difficult to organise a match, don't bother nominating.

The draw will not be completely random, particularly in regards to qualifying. For example, newbies and forfeiters may have to go through qualifying. Last year's semi-finalists will be in separate quarters of the draw too.
    I might also look at making sure you don't play someone in the first round, that you played this year. After all, it is a quasi-social comp.

How does a $5 entry fee sound to organise prizes for the winner and runner-up? Any love for a third place playoff as well?

Nominations will close on Oct 31, so put your name down and PM others to put their name down.

----------------

1. Andyp
    2. PeteyD
    3. Daves
    4. SMS
    5. Timah
    6. Jaybam
    7. GC
    8. Lucasto23
    9. Rusty
    10. Peter_rs
    11. Shazza_rs
    12. Chop (only if I play P in the first round on a Saturday at Nothlakes if the temperature is 27 degrees and there is slight cloud cover)
    13. Ferrins
    14. DC68
    15. henno
    16. ddasey
    17. mblakey
    18. Eag's
    19. damoocow
    20. BrisWesty
    21. Iain
    22. Steve57
    23. G69 (only if the banner is reinstated)
    24. Poidda
    25. nudgee
    26. Xray
    27. Hux
    28. Shavey
    29. Goonie
    30. jarro
    31. Kpac
    32. steverawlo
    33. Moe Norman
    34. Just
    35. Oxy
    Last edited by AndyP; 1st November 2010 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Compulsory. Handing the winner's awards and prizes to second is stupid.
    happens in the punt all the time, and Just has already indicated he is paying for the prize.

The $5 is just cash, I'm sure 2nd won't mind collecting the cash, but not the prize.

After all, its just a quasi-social comp, right?
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Norman View Post
    happens in the punt all the time, and Just has already indicated he is paying for the prize.
    It's not the punt, and Just is supplying a perpetual trophy, not the other awards which the cash is going towards.

Quote Originally Posted by steverawlo
    32. steverawlo (or am I too late?)
    You did read the thread title, didn't you?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Are you going to have a $5 buy back?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Coem on Moe - its not a principle things...its not booze its for prizes. Andy obviously is hot fav for a 3rd title and needs something nice to convince the bride that all that golf isn't a waste of time...so we need something nice for him to take home...."I won" without a prize is only good for a "that's nice dear"
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

It is a principle thing hence why I'm not playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    Coem on Moe - its not a principle things...
    yes it is.

I've always contributed to the punt, cause I like the idea. What I don't like is the ridicule directed at people that don't contribute, and the pressure imposed on some that don't want to.

If I were in it for fancy prizes, I'd go an play with the Tour Fore guys or one of the many corporate social clubs I get invited to. But I like ozgolf for the social aspect and the fun had at ozgolf events.

I'm not short of money, and I couldn't care less about $5, but I think we're heading in the wrong direction imposing mandatory fees to enter an ozgolf competition.

It's only an opinion, obviously one that isn't shared, and so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    so we need something nice for him to take home...."I won" without a prize is only good for a "that's nice dear"
    Yep, thats what a quality perpetual trophy is for. I've got one at home for putting that didn't turn out all that 'perpetual' but it's a hell of alot better than a box of Pro V1's. I used to have it on my desk at work in a very prominent position!
    Last edited by Moe Norman; 25th October 2010 at 09:19 PM.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

yes it is.

I've always contributed to the punt, cause I like the idea. What I don't like is the ridicule directed at people that don't contribute, and the pressure imposed on some that don't want to.

If I were in it for fancy prizes, I'd go an play with the Tour Fore guys or one of the many corporate social clubs I get invited to. But I like ozgolf for the social aspect and the fun had at ozgolf events.

I'm not short of money, and I couldn't care less about $5, but I think we're heading in the wrong direction imposing mandatory fees to enter an ozgolf competition.

It's only an opinion, obviously one that isn't shared, and so be it.

Yep, thats what a quality perpetual trophy is for. I've got one at home for putting that didn't turn out all that 'perpetual' but it's a hell of alot better than a box of Pro V1's. I used to have it on my desk at work in a very prominent position!
    Actually after some soul searching I would have to say that the mandatory "comp" fee may not be the best direction to push Ozgolf...at least for the MP title.

The champs has a large quantity of donated prizes and I must say after winning a nice shirt last year courtesy of Shavey I was happy to recoprocate with some stuff. In the champs scenario I would think a fee of some sort might take away the burden on the few.
    However I moving towards Just and your view for the rest of the games. I have always supported the stance that the punt should be solely up to the individual. Too many reasons for people not to want to gamble....the in group shit stirring punt aka fleecing Shavey is a totally separate issue and a much more personal and rewarding type of gamble.

I would support the view that Ozgolf should resist any move towards being a "club". Beofre you know it we will have a president, captain etc with the dictatorial administration that goes with it.....some may think we already have that

However I will pay my $5 to be in it although I suppport the non comp fee point of view.
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

Member Club Pro

You did read the thread title, didn't you?
    Yes but being number 32 and with Moe being taken out and put back in, thought I may go down to 33 and have to rely on a forfeit.

Member Club Pro

just read it again. Happy to play a qualifier if necessary

Liberated.
    Last edited by Ferrins; 26th October 2010 at 07:54 AM.

1. Andyp
    2. PeteyD
    3. Daves
    4. SMS
    5. Timah
    6. Jaybam
    7. GC
    8. Lucasto23
    9. Rusty
    10. Peter_rs
    11. Shazza_rs
    12. Chop (only if I play P in the first round on a Saturday at Nothlakes if the temperature is 27 degrees and there is slight cloud cover)
    13. Ferrins
    14. DC68
    15. henno
    16. ddasey
    17. mblakey
    18. Eag's
    19. damoocow
    20. BrisWesty
    21. Iain
    22. Steve57
    24. Poidda
    25. nudgee
    26. Xray
    27. Hux
    28. Shavey
    29. Goonie
    30. jarro
    31. Kpac
    32. steverawlo (or am I too late?)
    Last edited by Ferrins; 26th October 2010 at 07:53 AM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

obviously one that isn't shared, and so be it.
    You are dead wrong there!

What I don't like is the ridicule directed at people that don't contribute, and the pressure imposed on some that don't want to.
    Because I share that exact same opinion.

However I would like to see it compulsory and the need to pay 1/4 of it back removed, though you and Hux do make some very good points as well to not have prizemoney at all.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I'd be happy to contribute $50 to a bloody decent perpetual trophy.

I simply don't see the need for prize money to play ozgolf matchplay, its not like it is hard to attract people to the event.
    Moe Norman

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

The comp fee was only ever discussed for the Champs, purely to aid in purchasing better prizes, and to make things a little easier on those involved in the organisation side.
    All other Oz Golf days should be left as they are. The introduction of a mandatory "comp" fee would be a big mistake, the punt should be left up to the individual end of story.

Thanks for making me look like the wanker here. I asked the question in the header post and there were mostly yes answers, with a couple of nos. Now there's backflips.

I only wanted to cover the cost of a trophy to keep, and a couple of medals. I'm not big on the prizes either, but there were suggestions of customized shirts, etc similar to the hats we had for one year.

Consider the comp fee removed, as I'd rather maximise participance.

I'd be happy to contribute $50 to a bloody decent perpetual trophy.
    PM just. We may be able to get something better quality than the silver plated trophy from the Champs.

I'm in, for another first round exit...
    Moe Norman

1. Andyp
    2. PeteyD
    3. Daves
    4. SMS
    5. Timah
    6. Jaybam
    7. GC
    8. Lucasto23
    9. Rusty
    10. Peter_rs
    11. Shazza_rs
    13. Ferrins
    14. DC68
    15. henno
    16. ddasey
    17. mblakey
    18. Eag's
    19. damoocow
    20. BrisWesty
    21. Iain
    22. Steve57
    24. Poidda
    25. nudgee
    26. Xray
    27. Hux
    28. Shavey
    29. Goonie
    30. jarro
    31. Kpac
    32. steverawlo
    33. Moe Norman
    34. Just

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Thanks for making me look like the wanker here. I asked the question in the header post and there were mostly yes answers, with a couple of nos. Now there's backflips.

I only wanted to cover the cost of a trophy to keep, and a couple of medals. I'm not big on the prizes either, but there were suggestions of customized shirts, etc similar to the hats we had for one year.

Consider the comp fee removed, as I'd rather maximise participance.
    Even though I am only an observer this year, congratulations on a good outcome.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

In honor of the new perpetual trophy, I put forward that we name it the 'Donut Memorial Participation Maximus Plate/Cup/Bowl!'

Kudos to Just and Moe for doing something about getting a nice perpetual trophy.

Agree with AP in that participation is what OzGolf is about.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Banned

Question.
    Now there is no fee and I was prepared to pay the fiver anyway can I give it to just to put towards the trophy so as he is not bearing the full cost. I know it's only a fiver but I was going to pay that anyway.

Oh and Andy don't waorry about looking like a wanker. I suppose that's part of the thankless job you guys do.

Thank you Andy and your side kicks for doing a great job.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Thank you Andy and your side kicks for doing a great job.

Hate to say it, but I agree with Ferrins ^^^^^

Great work.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Andy your the OZgolf Ninja for Fricken sakes, dont let the fickel few make you back down cause you know your the good guy in all this

Where do i send my Fiver too now JUST?
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Thanks for making me look like the wanker here.
    It was only Just and Thommo that did that, maybe you could have moderated them?

surely we could have all thrown a gold coin in for a tropy at least, or at goughy instead.

p.s. they didnt have to try hard though!
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information