Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Foxtel bargaining.

There is a massive thread on Whirlpool about bargaining for Foxtel upgrades. It appears the go is to say you want to cancel and they will offer you all sorts of package upgrades and free connections to stay.
    I'm looking to upgrade to IQ2 Hi-Def and really don't want to give them $200 just to come out and change the Foxtel box so I might give them a call and see what goes.
    Anyone tried this?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    There is a massive thread on Whirlpool about bargaining for Foxtel upgrades. It appears the go is to say you want to cancel and they will offer you all sorts of package upgrades and free connections to stay.
    That would be standard procedure for a service company like Foxtel, not sure exactly how they do the deals, but I can speak for Austar, having worked there for so long. With them if you cancel straight up they accept your request without any discussion, and say it will take 30 days, then a retention team will call back in week or so for you to 'confirm' and than hard sell you to keep the business. The retention team has a renumerative sales/strike rate focus so they will do all sorts of deals. Usually full service free for a month, but that would vary depending on your reason for cancelling. However that then nullifies your cancellation request, and you remain on that package forever until you change or go through the cancellation process again.

The logic is that it costs more to get a new customer than it does to keep an old one, so they will throw some pretty good deal at you.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

hmm, I might try this.

I've been with them for about 6 years an never got any goodies for free
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

We've never received any discounts from them either, and we've been with them since they started.

Let us know how you get on Gaz.

You guys sure you never got anything for free? A couple of times a year they will run a promo on one of the packages and give it away free for a month.

You wont get discounts though, there is no such thing.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I think the most we've ever received from them is the movie package free for a month (or so)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

You may be able to get a self install kit Gaz.you can with standard Foxtel,not sure about IQ

Banned

I had a blue win them when I moved I to our house and they were going to charge us 300 buckks to reinstall. Told hem to jam it and disconnect it and all of a sudden they did it for free with an extra box downstairs. Last week j blues with them again because they are taking our two free box office movies a month away so I told them to jam it again and am now getting a free upgrade to a HD box so yes gaz if you can argue it will work.
    Good luck.

I rang a few months ago to disconnect. The first thing they offered me was IQ at $40 odd per month (i didn't have IQ at the time). I said no, I wanted to disconnect and they then offered me $10 a month for 4 channels, Fox Sports News, the 2 Comedy Channels and two others (yep, they can't count).

Anyway, I rejoined normal programming again this month and 2 weeks later I got a letter advising it had increased by $2 per month . It'll be gone for good soon, I can't deal with that sort of cynical crap.

Blog Entries

It worked for a mate or two over here gaz.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I had been with them about 7 years.... rang up this year as i noticed that for the price i was paying for my old package could have had the IQ included for free (only had std satellite stb).

Asked to speak to disconnections and they ended up offering me a free IQ2 install with all of the HD channels free for a year. Pretty happy with that.... I can get rid of the HD channels after a year although the golf looks awesome in HD every week !... back to watching the Dunhill links !
    You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!

Quote Originally Posted by bergsey View Post
    I had been with them about 7 years.... rang up this year as i noticed that for the price i was paying for my old package could have had the IQ included for free (only had std satellite stb).

Asked to speak to disconnections and they ended up offering me a free IQ2 install with all of the HD channels free for a year. Pretty happy with that.... I can get rid of the HD channels after a year although the golf looks awesome in HD every week !... back to watching the Dunhill links !
    Nice one, thats all I want the IQ2 for golf, footy etc. I will let everyone know how I go.

The IQ2 is absolutely worth it.

Haggle away Gaz

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I've done it Gaz.

I rang up to cancel, even though my intention was to upgrade to IQ2 & HD. Finished the call with free installation, HD package free for a year, 2 free box office movies a month & upgraded subscription with about 15 more channels than I had before.

I was $70 a month, ended up paying $80 a month for a package worth over $130.

Give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by senecio View Post
    I've done it Gaz.

I rang up to cancel, even though my intention was to upgrade to IQ2 & HD. Finished the call with free installation, HD package free for a year, 2 free box office movies a month & upgraded subscription with about 15 more channels than I had before.

I was $70 a month, ended up paying $80 a month for a package worth over $130.

Give it a go.
    Nice Ryan, is that the HD Gold package or Platimun HD ?
    Last edited by gazgolf1; 10th October 2010 at 08:55 AM.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

It must be the gold package as I don't have the movies. Just checked out the Foxtel website and my numbers a little out HD Gold is $115, still not a bad discount.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Great thread Gaz, thanks for posting.

I checked out Whirlpool and can see great deals to be had with foxtel. I'm just pissed I've been paying $100 per month for what people are getting for $60!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Update.

Rang Monday to cancel. Guy in sales tried a deal for a movie added pm and reduce fee to $85. Said no thanks, just cancel.

Got a call this morning from retention team. Told him leaving cause of value and end result was:

- full platnium HD
    - extra set for another room (standard), installed free this sat morning
    - mag each month (dont really care less)
    - reduced fee from $100 to $77 pm.

For a package worth over $150pm, I'm pretty happy.

Quote Originally Posted by rodders View Post
    Update.

Rang Monday to cancel. Guy in sales tried a deal for a movie added pm and reduce fee to $85. Said no thanks, just cancel.

Got a call this morning from retention team. Told him leaving cause of value and end result was:

- full platnium HD
    - extra set for another room (standard), installed free this sat morning
    - mag each month (dont really care less)
    - reduced fee from $100 to $77 pm.

For a package worth over $150pm, I'm pretty happy.
    Thats a great result rodders.

Got the call today from the retention team and scored;
    Free upgrade to IQ2
    HD Platinum
    12 month contract
    = $77 per month
    installed tomorrow arvo
    I felt like I could of done a few bucks better but was at work and could'nt really talk, happy with the deal tho.

I just had a "discussion" with them about cancelling. It will be interesting to see what they come back with. Not bothered, the only think worth watching at the moment is the EPL.

I was going to do this, but I'm going to move in the next few months so I need to wait until I've made the move
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Worth noting also if you'r considering getting Fox. Troll the whirlpool forums for a story about the deal you're interested in, and then tell them that's what you want. They say no to start with, (and i've heard sometimes they say yes but require you to pay connection) so tell them to jam it, they take down your details and call a week later, done deal. Mate just signed up at his new joint and gave this a go, worked for him, he now get more than i for less....... and didn't have to pay connection.
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Quote Originally Posted by kpac View Post
    Worth noting also if you'r considering getting Fox. Troll the whirlpool forums for a story about the deal you're interested in, and then tell them that's what you want. They say no to start with, (and i've heard sometimes they say yes but require you to pay connection) so tell them to jam it, they take down your details and call a week later, done deal. Mate just signed up at his new joint and gave this a go, worked for him, he now get more than i for less....... and didn't have to pay connection.
    Did'nt read the first post did ya Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    Did'nt read the first post did ya Kent.
    whoops - can see how that looks

I meant "if you've considering connecting to fox" ie don't currently have it.
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Thread Information