Path to Final
    Rd 1 - AndyP d Rusty 4/3 (after 3 ties), Hux d BrisWesty 4/3
    Rd 2 - AndyP d Tex 3/1, Hux d jarro 3/2
    QF - AndyP d golfer69 2up, Hux d jaybam 2/1
    SF - AndyP d Iain 8/7, Hux d Nudgee 5/3

AndyP last 5 comps played to: DQ (24), 8, 14, 11, 9
    Hux last 5 comps played to: 21, 24, 18, 12, 26

Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    Obsessed? I do think any realistic person would realise they had a distinct advantage playing a match on a course they know well against someone who has never played it.
    I am being realistic. You keep stating home course as if it's a big thing. I had one year's membership there 20 years ago so I could play social games on the cheap. The course has changed and I have played it maybe 3 times in 10 years.

You played both jarro and nudgee at their current home course, yet you are worried about Horton giving me a "distinct advantage"? It's a bit confusing.

You seem rather obsessed with not playing it at Pelican Waters though!
    No, the venue has nothing to do with it. As I've said before (and others agree), you don't mix Champs with matchplay. One of them has to be sacrificed.

It's also worth noting that I've played it plenty of times. Home course advantage?

I am working next weekend so can't play any time before then...sorry.
    I guess that means you have some weekdays off then. Which ones?

It's about time we played in the same group. I've heard that it's a fun day in your group albeit with plenty of sledging.
    Last edited by AndyP; 30th September 2010 at 08:39 PM.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Here's a wrap-up of the round, from my point of view. It's a lot of words, but it was a close tussle, and I didn't want to leave much out, so scan it, skim it, absorb it, whatever.

1 - 124m par 3 - I'm just off the green, Hux is just on. Neither of us get our next shot close enough or make the next putt. Bogeys for a half. All square.

2 - 331m par 4 - shot hole 1/8 - Both of us pull our drives left. I'm regretting not getting the range balls I planned to, to get rid of these "warmup" shots. I run through the back of the green, Hux finds the greenside bunker. Although I chip nicely and get up and down, it's not enough to match Hux's sand shot to a couple of feet. Pars. Hux 1up.

3 - 150m par 3 - Hux doesn't get up and down from 30m short, but I get up and down from the edge of the green. All square.

4 - 356m par 4 - shot hole 2/8 - Once again, Hux is 30m or so short, and I'm just off the edge of the green. Hux goes too far past the hole, and I leave myself a few feet. Hux drains a great putt down the hill for his par to win the hole. Hux 1up.
    What I do doesn't matter, and I putt accordingly

5 - 352m par 4 - Greenside bunkers for both of us. I get it in the hole for 5, while Hux leaves his longish putt well short (not for the first or last time), and I win the hole. All square.

6 - 511m par 5 - shot hole 3/8 - Not a great hole from memory, but I missed the green from just over 100m by way too much finding the bunker. Hux's uninspirational 6 was enough to win the hole. Hux 1up.
    I three putted from within a few metres after the hole was dead, as the care factor dropped and I was still fuming at missing an opportunity to at least square the hole by hitting the green

7 - 170m par 3 - Hux misses left, I dropkick it about 100m. My too-short-pitch, too-long-fringe-putt, great putt beats Hux's too-long-chip, too-short-putt, putt, putt, or something like that. Regardless it was a get out of jail card for me. All square.
    [i]At this point, I remind Hux of our agreement to have a quality match.

That's seven consecutive result holes. Have you noticed the pattern? Shot holes, Hux; Non-shot holes, Me. I think I sent a text to Iain at this point to say that it was all square via some average golf.

8 - 472m par 5 - shot hole 4/8 - We did nothing special to get to the green, but Hux was at the front for 3 (in 3 putt territory ) and I was within 5m. Hux leaves himself a tester, while I get my bird, but Hux knocks it in to halve the hole. All square.

9 - 341m par 4 - A bad hole for Hux, with a skied drive, shank into the trees, brilliant approach on to the green, then 3-putt. My regulation par wins the hole and I have the lead for the first time. AndyP 1up.

10 - 376m par 4 - shot hole 5/8 - I find trees left and I'm lucky not to damage my hybrid more on my second shot. (Note: Practice swings are nothing like the end shot swing when a tree may affect your follow through) I give myself a par putt, but Hux gets a par to make my putt dead. All square.

I can't remember how Hux got his par, but I'm sure it was a good up and down or something and it was probably at this time that I started my ongoing comment to nudgee about "****ing 20-cappers" and their erratic play and general arsiness.

11 - 315m par 4 - A regulation par, although I lagged the birdie putt, is enough for my win as Hux goes left, then long. AndyP 1up.

12 - 390m par 4 - shot hole 6/8 - Long and into the wind this was always going to be tough for me. I just miss my crucial par putt and we both get bogeys for Hux's win. All square.

13 - 354m par 4 - Another skied drive for Hux, but he gets himself to within chipping distance of the green, while I get there in regulation. A flubbed chip doesn't help Hux's cause, but I make the birdie anyway. AndyP 1up.

I begin a chant of "Tie, tie, tie, tie."

14 - 343m par 4 - shot hole 7/8 - I make the hole long for myself, but Hux gets away a good tee shot. I hit a tree right but land safe, Hux pulls his approach short and left. I avoided taking on the bunker, but I'm happy with my pitch which gives me a good chance for par. Hux hits a great chip to tap-in distance and makes his par. All square.
    I made my par too. ****ing 20 cappers

15 - 311m par 4 - Both of us are within 100m for our approaches. Hux goes left again, and I absolutely flush my wedge, which was the wrong shot as it bounces past the pin and just off the back leaving a tricky chip. Hux flubs his next chip and the next is nothing special. I hit my best chip of the day (considering the pressure) to within a couple of metres and make the putt for par. AndyP 1up.

16 - 125m par 3 - shot hole 8/8 - My confidence is high and I hit mine straight at the hole, and it bounces on the green more than I'd like and ends up well behind the hole. Hux pulls out a shank into the trees. Pressure? Of course, he then puts his recovery shot within a few feet of the hole. My putt down the hill tracks perfectly, but deviates in the opposite direction to the rest of the break just before it gets to the hole before. Pars each, and Hux's win. All square.

I can't believe it is all square. I'm hitting it well, I feel like I'm dictating the game, yet a mistake from hereon could cost me the match. ****ing 20 cappers.

17 - 491m par 5 - Hux splashes his drive down the middle of a saturated fairway, but I find dry ground slightly to the right which keeps it going right. Hux then takes on the water clearance and makes it leaving himself 100m out. Despite being behind on the hole, I don't even consider taking on the hazard and layup a little shorter than I'd like, leaving myself a hybrid in. An okay shot but a little left leaves me in the left trap pin high. Hux pulls his approach into the same trap. Hux's sand shot goes off the other side of the green; I continue my good run by splashing it to within a metre and making the putt for the win. AndyP 1up.

Hux needs to square the last to tie the match.

18 - 140m par 3 water carry - I aim for the centre of the green and run a few feet off the back of the green above the hole. Hux tugs his left a bit but gets a little kick right and ends up just off the back also, but a little closer to the hole.
    My putt through a few feet of fringe grass gets pulled up more than I expect and I leave myself a testing downhill putt of a couple of metres.
    Hux makes a good go at his birdie (and hole win) putt but it goes past and leaves him a few feet back. Assuming that Hux is going to get his in, there is a lot of pressure for me to sink my putt to avoid yet another tie. Fortunately I manage another one putt, sink the putt for the match win (and the hole win in the end).

F9 - H A H A H A - A
    B9 H A H A H A H A A
    AndyP 2up.

Lead chart
    ________x_x_x_x_x2 AndyP
    x_x_x_xx_x_x_x_x__ All square
    _x_x_x____________ Hux

I was very happy to come through that with a win, and I think all of my previous ties and tight matches helped me in this close game. Unlike some of those other matches, where my shots under pressure were questionable, today I made the right decisions under pressure, backed myself and executed very well.

I'm absolutely wrapped to have defended my title and didn't think it would be possible in handicap matchplay. It has been frustrating and stressful at times, but I have very much enjoyed the whole experience over the last two years. Thank you to all of my opponents, including Hux for his great efforts to get to the final and sending the final to the last hole.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Congratulations Andy.

I look forward to being able to play this next year!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

How on earth do you remember your entire game and Hux's?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I write down both scores, and have my own stats, and try to piece it together from there. I was a little unsure on a couple of bits of Hux's game as I couldn't remember one hole from another. I've only played Nudgee South a few times.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

I am with you Chopps, I have enough trouble remembering the last 9 holes I played.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Congratulations Andy, commiserations Hux.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I guess now that you are unemployed, you don't have a lot on your mind so you can remember this stuff easier

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

I can remember almost every shot I played today. Except for the four putt.

Thread Information