Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default NSW Matchplay - TS v 3oneday - New Brighton

Thanks to Amanda for organising the day. NB has some of the strangest holes I have ever experienced, double dogleg par 5's, back to back par 5's, trouble left on almost every hole . Didn't know where the hell I was going (or had been) half the time.

The match, see sawing would be a good description. I was 3 up after 8, playing reasonable but Tony was struggling a little on the greens.

Then Tony won 9,10,11 and 12 to hit the lead 1 up with 6 to play. I then won the next 3, 2 up with 3 to play.

Snaked a 30 footer for par on the 16th, to halve the hole, dormy 2. Lost 17 but won the last. End result, 2 up.

We only halved 1 hole on the back, about 2 halves on the front. A very interesting match, we started to debate what would happen if Tony won the last, toss a coin, have a chip off etc, didn't matter.

Thanks to Jono for the loan of the driver, pity about the scratch, it asked more questions than it answered I'm afraid , it went quite well when I sat down and thought about it. First time in ages I have actually achieved run on a golf course

Andippy, do your thing

Pete

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

well played Pete-Ho
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I was there and saw this match.  Once again the glory of matchplay was shown in its best light.

Pete gained the early ascendency, despite Tony's chip-in for birdie on the 3rd, but a major momentum shift saw Tony as the big favourite after he surged to the lead on the controversial 12th.  Off this tee, we all got our yardages wrong, so both Tony and Pete nailed their drives through the fairway into the hazard.  After penalty drops, Tony played safe for a bogey, while Pete had a go at the green, left himself in a good spot then stuffed it up.  

I thought this was the turning point, but I was wrong.

The next par 5, the 14th, both hit wayward drives, but Pete hit a good recovery second, an excellent 3rd and holed a 5 footer for birdie to win a hole where he was giving away a shot.  From there, Tony gave away two holes with wayward approaches, then Pete gave the 17th back to keep it interesting down the last.  Pete played a very good hole to be a deserved winner.

He may have to wait a while for his next match, but he's a big chance to go all the way.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Congratlation to Pete for a match well play. Good luck with the rest of the rounds.

The 16th was the deciding point of the match. I thought I have the chance to get a hole back, but Pete sank a 30 footer to half the hole.

TS

Thread Information