Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Anyone been to Wynnum? Or live there?

Just wondering what the suburb and golf course is like.
    CLEVELAND TL310 8.5* Grafalloy Blue X
    18* BALDO Competzione Graf Blue X
    I:Cleveland 588 Pro CB KBS X
    W: Ping Glide 3.0 KBS X
    P:Wilson 8802
    B:TP5
    B:Titleist Staff Stand
    S: Air Jordan 5

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

The golf course is short and tight, but it is in good nick most of the time, I always enjoy playing there.
    As for the suburb, henno is a resident so he would have the low down.

I've lived in Manly my whole life (next door to Wynnum) and currently live about 1km from the golf course.

The course itself is land-locked and very short, but not without its charm. The suburb itself depends on where you live; there is still a healthy bogan factor the further north and/or west you go in the Wynnum area. House prices range from the 350-400s for the shitters to multiple millions for the swanky ocean view mansions on millionaire's row (Oceana Terrace et al.). It's near the water though, and public transport a-plenty.

What else do you wanna know?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    I've lived in Manly my whole life (next door to Wynnum) and currently live about 1km from the golf course.

The course itself is land-locked and very short, but not without its charm. The suburb itself depends on where you live; there is still a healthy bogan factor the further north and/or west you go in the Wynnum area. House prices range from the 350-400s for the shitters to multiple millions for the swanky ocean view mansions on millionaire's row (Oceana Terrace et al.). It's near the water though, and public transport a-plenty.

What else do you wanna know?
    So, essentially what you are saying is that you need to iron your flannelette shirt before going out in public?
    Forum needs more banter.

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    So, essentially what you are saying is that you need to iron your flannelette shirt before going out in public?
    Get with the times; flannelet shirts are the fashion of choice for young, modern yuppies these days. Today's fashion-conscious bogans are wearing baggy FUBU jeans and Metal Mulisha and/or WWE Smack Down t-shirts.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

BTW WTF is Metal Mulisha?

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    BTW WTF is Metal Mulisha?
    It's a motorcross brand.

Is it motorcross or motocross?

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Cheers for all the good replies and headsup on the demographics within that area. We're comsidering a possible move up that way. Sydney is getting way too cold in winter and the housing market here for what you really want is almost unattainable. We currently live in Mosman and would like a similar atmoshpere with a course close by. So if anyone has been to Mosman/Balmoral and know of a suburb similar to that from Coolangata all the way to Sunshine Coast. That would be great. And I do have a wool red and black check jacket (Canadian Pajamas)

Hamilton and Ascot are the closest you are going to get in feel and demographics to Mosman and Balmoral.
    Last edited by just; 1st July 2010 at 06:27 PM.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Sandgate and redcliffe are nice areas too, IMHO.
    Last edited by BrisVegas; 1st July 2010 at 07:07 PM.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Ascot and join Far Q....couldn't get better really

Wynnum/Manly is a pretty decent place to live. Crime is pretty good...a few B&E's but not worse than most.
    Anywhere on the eastern side of Bay Tce is nice living with some other areas in pockets.
    At 14km (crows fly) from the city it is an easy commute.
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

Ultimately it's about how much you're willing/able to pay and what sort of character/ambience you are after.

Hux, strangely enough I lived in the 'burbs of deadshit Tingalpa for a few years renting as a uni bum and when I finally moved back into Manly when I bought the Love Shack my insurance premiums went up! I think the shifty bogans used to commute to rob the wealthier houses in Manly. Don't shit in your own nest and all that.

As an aside, we used to live behind "that house" on Wynnum Road at Tingalpa, kind of opposite the Shell servo and cricket fields. The cops used to come over every now and again and whenever there was a complaint about the occupants they would tell us "off the record" that they couldn't move on them as they were under surveillance from police higher up the chain from them. I can remember standing at my back window one night with a beer watching 20 boys in blue kick in the back door (which took much longer than Hollywood would lead you to believe) and subsequently raid the place, chasing people around the house and across patio roofs in the process. Needless to say those particular occupants no longer live there. They had the place wired with cameras though, which we only found out when I tried to return their two pitt bulls which had escaped but they wouldn't open the door. I took the dogs home and the missus tried about 5 minutes later only to be greeted by the matriarch who told her she wasn't going to open the door for a strange man as she could see me coming on the cameras they had hidden in the letterbox and other fixtures!

I agree that home and car insurance premiums are a huge factor in deciding where to live. I wasn't aware until I moved to Australia that premiums could be adjusted from suburb to suburb. In our neighbourhood people park their high end cars etc on the street overnight with no probs (prolly because it's the cheaper of the other cars filling up the garage). My wife was also looking at Bulimba? Now what courses are near to these areas or which you guys favor? Ones that aren't stuffy and overpriced and have friendly staff.

Bulimba has a great par 3 course (that would make for an a great ozgolf day FWIW) but the nearest proper courses would be Wynnum, RQ, Pacific or even BGC or Indro. (Scratch Indro and RQ if you don't want to jump the creek or pay oodles for noms.)

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckDownUnder View Post
    Cheers for all the good replies and headsup on the demographics within that area. We're comsidering a possible move up that way. Sydney is getting way too cold in winter and the housing market here for what you really want is almost unattainable. We currently live in Mosman and would like a similar atmoshpere with a course close by. So if anyone has been to Mosman/Balmoral and know of a suburb similar to that from Coolangata all the way to Sunshine Coast. That would be great. And I do have a wool red and black check jacket (Canadian Pajamas)
    CDU, please go to Qld first and figure if you can live amongst them, it's not for everyone. There is nothing like where you live up north.

Is the par 3 still there?? I doubt I can remember where it is - been donkeys.

Bulimba Hawthorne and Balmoral Heights are all in a pocket together. Nice and close to town, ferry into the city, great dining, the river....near me

As henno said...courses are not close. Nudgee, Wynnum and Pacific would be 15-20mins, Redlcliffe 30mins.. RQ is closest but pay $9.5k noms, $2.6k yearly.
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    Is the par 3 still there??
    Sure is. I am not kidding when I say it'd make for a great day for ozgolfers to get pissed practice their short game.

Thanks guys for all the great posts. I will take all into consideration. The par 3 course is inviting for working on my short game. And if there is a decent pub close by ....

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    CDU, please go to Qld first and figure if you can live amongst them, it's not for everyone. There is nothing like where you live up north.

I'll actually be up there later this month for a brief visit. I will be bringing my clubs up if anyone's keen for a round or 9 holes even.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckDownUnder View Post
    And if there is a decent pub close by ....
    Bulimba's Oxford 152 is a great pub with a good view most of the time (no, not the park or the river ) even if I can remember it when it used to be the Balmongrel - one of the roughest joints in town!

It's all yuppie-ville now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    Is the par 3 still there?? I doubt I can remember where it is - been donkeys.

Bulimba Hawthorne and Balmoral Heights are all in a pocket together. Nice and close to town, ferry into the city, great dining, the river....near me

As henno said...courses are not close. Nudgee, Wynnum and Pacific would be 15-20mins, Redlcliffe 30mins.. RQ is closest but pay $9.5k noms, $2.6k yearly.
    Nice! Food is my weakness, so that's a plus. Even if I was playing pro-ams and hooking on the side , I still wouldn't pay nine and a half stacks to play 4-5 times per week alone.

might hafta stop by there. Yuppies are everywhere . Even in Mosman . Mosman is a bit on the seasoned age side with a few youngin's like me thrown into the mix. You get to know the best (and sometimes cheapest) places to eat hangin around the RSL on meat raffle night.

Thread Information