Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Practice Swings for Putting

What does everyone else do for practice swings for putting? Next to the ball? Behind the ball? Front-on?

I used to do it behind the ball facing the hole most of the time, just to visualise the line to the hole. But after listening to Rod's podcast with Dave Stockton I thought I would try putting without any practice swings, and trust that my body knows what it's doing.

I gave it a go yesterday at Pacific GC, and I wouldn't say that it was a failure at all. It was a little weird, changing a routine, but I felt good over putts within 5 metres, particularly those within a metre. I'm willing to continue skipping it for my next round, except for the long putts. The distance control seemed to be a bit unpredictable for those, so I'd like to have a couple of practice swings for some feel.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

You probably should disgregard everything I write since i'm a complete chopper, but yeah I'm generally a no practice swing guy as well.

I like it because when i started playing and practicing my putting i used to then go out on the course and mind f*** myself by thinking too much and worrying about stroke and roll etc.

Now i check the putt out decide on a mark/line i want to put over take my stance look once at target and as soon as that happens i do three small down press' followed by a small forward press then stroke the putt.

fire and forget putting is the way forward i'd reckon. My swings worse now than 2 months ago but my short games covering the deficiencies since i started putting like this.
    2014 Goal - Single Figures

The long march begins

Razr Fit 9.5* UST V2 66 gm X Stiff
    Razr Fit 15* 5W PX 6.0 Shaft
    Razr Fit 18* 5W PX 6.0 Shaft
    Rbz Stage 2 Tour 21.5* Axiv 100
    4-PW Mizuno MP52 - Project X 6.5 Pxi

Cleveland 588 RTX 52* 10 - PX 6.5 Flighted
    Cleveland 588 RTX 60* 8 - DG Wedge Flex
    Odyssey Tank Versa #7 40 inch CB'd Floggstick

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

I have always putted without practice strokes, but only recently changed to one practice stroke.
    My putting sucks at the moment though.

I practice three putting. Going off the seven 3-putts I had yesterday it's working rather well.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

I don't bother with practice swings as a rule.

I've always subscribed to Greg Chappell's theory on bowling - don't think about how to bowl, think about where you want the ball to go. Golf is pretty unique with this when you think about it. You don't see many lawn bowlers doing a practice bowl without letting go of the bowl. You don't see rugby kickers doing a run-through and kicking beside the ball before going back for the real thing. Tennis players don't do an air serve before serving.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

I only do practise swings to focus on the stroke and making sure it is correct.

I have a practise swing from behind the ball, looking at the back of the cup and visualising the ball dropping in the hole after hitting the back of the cup.

I also try and practise taking the putterhead back low and slow

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Tiger and most pros who use a practice swing before playing a makeable putt, always make the practice stroke parallel to the line of the putt. That way they don't have to adjust their aim and alignment when they step up to the actual putt.

On the longer putts many of our professionals make a couple of practice putts from behind the ball at right angles to the actual line of the putt while looking down the line from front on. This is to get the feel of the putt and match the line to the pace.

A practice putt is a great way to steady the nerves and rehearse the stroke you intend to make.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

I knew you would type a post like that without answering the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    Tiger and most pros who use a practice swing before playing a makeable putt, always make the practice stroke parallel to the line of the putt. That way they don't have to adjust their aim and alignment when they step up to the actual putt.

On the longer putts many of our professionals make a couple of practice putts from behind the ball at right angles to the actual line of the putt while looking down the line from front on. This is to get the feel of the putt and match the line to the pace.

A practice putt is a great way to steady the nerves and rehearse the stroke you intend to make.
    That's what i do.

I used to practice standing behind the ball but my body front on (my eyes looking at the hole) then changed to the above in search of greater consistency on the greens.
    "SHANKS FOR THE MEMORIES"

No practice strokes for me. Don't wanna waste a good one without hitting the ball.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I like to make a couple of strokes next to the ball, mostly to get a feel for the speed

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I knew you would type a post like that without answering the questions.
    Who gives a toss what I do or any of us do for that matter. Understanding what the best players do is more to the point. Would you agree?
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    Who gives a toss what I do or any of us do for that matter. Understanding what the best players do is more to the point. Would you agree?
    No. Noting the first paragraph of my post, I believe that I give a toss, that's why I asked. I wasn't interested in what the best players were doing.

So what do you do?

I do what Tiger does and most of our Ozzie pros do as mentioned above. Nice to know you care.

I had a putting lesson from a tour pro, and his one piece of advice was to never ever look at the putter when making a practice stroke.

I believe Jack never has a practice putt.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Member Club Pro

I've never done it. Tried a few times to incorporate one, but it never felt comfortable.

One exception - I have a couple of practice strokes when I'm putting from off the green, or on really long lag putts with a lot of break.

Normal putts I just stand behind the ball and visualise the putt I want to hit, seeing the ball track a line to the hole.
    TM Tour R1 Black - Fuji Blur TS 65S
    TM Jetspeed Tour 15* - Motore Speeder TP X
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 18* - ProjX 6.0
    4-9 Titleist 714 AP2 - Proj X 5.5
    Vokey SM5 51*, 55*
    Cleveland 588REG. 60*
    TM Spider Limited

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I prefer the Brad Faxon method. That works pretty well.

At least it does for him.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Major Winner

What does he do?

Blog Entries

Putts it into the cup.

Senior Member Major Winner

oh

Longer putts I take a practice stroke or two standing parallel to the ball but looking at the target (not the cup).

After reading a Rotella book once I played a round putting without looking at the ball. I'd align, place the putter behind the ball and then stroke the putt looking at the target... helped tremendously with feel & distance control. Therefore I have tried to implement this concept into my practice stroke by doing the above.

I'd just step up and stroke it if I wasn't so jittery all the time!
    Nickent 4DX Tour 9*
    TM V-Steel 15*
    Adams Pro 20* 23*
    Adams CB2 5-PW
    Cleveland Reg.588 - 50/10, 54/12, 58/8
    Odyssey Black 1 wide
    Ping Hoofer

If you think only about the target, you won't be jittery. Swing thoughts make us jittery.

I know I know - but I keep forgetting when I get on the course... I might have to write the word 'target' on my glove ala footy players and their writing on the strapping tape on their wrists
    Nickent 4DX Tour 9*
    TM V-Steel 15*
    Adams Pro 20* 23*
    Adams CB2 5-PW
    Cleveland Reg.588 - 50/10, 54/12, 58/8
    Odyssey Black 1 wide
    Ping Hoofer

When I have swing thoughts I may as well be home doing the ironing. Always have great success thinking only of the target, at setup, during the swing and following the ball checking that it started on line and what it does in the air and on landing. That sort of awareness and feedback helps with the next shot. Swing thoughts are best left on the practice ground in my case.

Thread Information