Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Hitting the ball from the opposite side

When I played at Federal GC, one of my partners was a Lefty who chipped the correct way, that is, right handed.

He said that when his chipping starts to go bad he swaps around.
    I suppose this is because he might get more control on the other side and swapping dominant hands, as power isn't really needed for chip shots.

Anyone else seen anything like this or actually do it themselves? I have some of you talk about guys that have swapped sides altogether.

This also brings in a whole new realm of possibilities for a ho. Left and Right handed clubs.

goughy

I've heard of some people who putt on the opposite side.

Yeah, I guess I can understand putting on the other side, goughy. Not too many adjustments to the action.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Yeah a guy that Onewood and I played with at Logan played right handed but putted lefty
    TM R1 - Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TXTaylor Made 200 Tour 15 Prolite 35X Taylor Made 300Forged 2 Iron Rifle 6.0 Nike Victory Red TW 3-PW Project X 6.0 Nike VR 52°, Vokey SM7 58/12Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5/ Prototype Cameron Long Neck

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

I played left handed for about 18 months quite a few years ago
    Didn't do to bad, got down to a 14 handicap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Eag's
    I played left handed for about 18 months quite a few years ago
    Didn't do to bad, got down to a 14 handicap
    What made you change do you carry a left handed club in the bag

Actually you could play left handed tomorrow and still beat Jarro and Golfer69, Tezza is already a lefty so you might struggle there

Get down early and hit a couple of lefty's for us :P :P

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Get down early and hit a couple of lefty's for us
    Ok kev, might just do that
    Mind you it has been awhile

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Most sensible golfers wouldnt chip from the other side as takes away one club in the bag, which is something most cant afford.

Jeff Wagner a touring pro putts from both sides. A natural right hander, putts left handed on his short putts.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Legend of OZgolf Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake
    Most sensible golfers wouldnt chip from the other side as takes away one club in the bag, which is something most cant afford.

Jeff Wagner a touring pro putts from both sides. A natural right hander, putts left handed on his short putts.
    I have a tape of the unsung lefty Steve Flesch hitting perfect drives with a swing to die for right handed. He said it helps his balance? Vijay also hits lefthanded for the same reason. Mac O'grady was a scratch marker off both hands

My dad started golf as a lefty but changed to a righty as he got given a good set of righty woods (15 years ago). He was playing off 15 hitting woods off the tee right hand and playing the rest of the way lefthand. He then changed to all righty and got down to 12...now he comfortably plays off 17 righthanded only.
    RIP 1974-2006

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Blaine McAlister (sp?)
    WOW...talk about blast from the past...
    journeyman on the USPGA tour for the past 10odd years maybe...is one who plays golf right handed, but putts left handed...

The most recent player to do this is Begay (depending on the break of the putt)...but I think he's ditched that silly routine already... must be taking too much of Tiger's money lately...

Didn't Ogle use to putt left handed too??? Before he went to the Langer grip??? I know he chipped cack-handed for a while...so did Peter Senior...

I'm not afraid to admit that I did putt lefthanded once (for a 9)...
    maybe it was the shocking condition of the greens, but I putted worse!!!
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

I remember there is one pro who was also a very good golfer on the other side. May have been Steve Flesch, when he had a problem he would practice the opposite side and when he worked it out, revert to his natural side. weird.

Harry Vardon was almost as good left handed as he was right handed. I beleive he changed to left handed for the 'challenge'
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake
    Harry Vardon was almost as good left handed as he was right handed. I beleive he changed to left handed for the 'challenge'
    Does golf ever get that easy that you need another challenge?

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by jaster
    I have a tape of the unsung lefty Steve Flesch hitting perfect drives with a swing to die for right handed. He said it helps his balance? Vijay also hits lefthanded for the same reason. Mac O'grady was a scratch marker off both hands
    I'm sure I've said this before... but my physio recommended that we should all do some practice from the opposite side to which we play. Matt is a perfect example - take his shirt off, and you will soon notice that the right side of his back is more muscular than the left and causes his right shoulder blade to sit an inch further away from his spine than his left shoulder blade....

I personally can't hit a ball left handed using a full swing, but I can chip out from under trees left handed using the back of an iron....

I think that Begay has changed to putting entirely right handed now - hasn't he??
    Cheers,
    Golfgirl

GG, I do remember you mentioning that. As a result, I occasionally (but not enough) swing the club the other way during my round to balance out.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

My next door neighbour plays right handed but grips the club left handed (left hand low). He hits it about 225 off the tee and plays off 14.

He says it feels more comfortable to swing this way?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Golfgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by jaster
    I'm sure I've said this before... but my physio recommended that we should all do some practice from the opposite side to which we play. Matt is a perfect example - take his shirt off, and you will soon notice that the right side of his back is more muscular than the left and causes his right shoulder blade to sit an inch further away from his spine than his left shoulder blade....

I personally can't hit a ball left handed using a full swing, but I can chip out from under trees left handed using the back of an iron....

I think that Begay has changed to putting entirely right handed now - hasn't he??

fred couples warms up by swinging left-handed...
    but Shingo actually hits balls at the range lefthanded as warmups!!!
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

There are a couple of guys at my club who hit right-handed and putt lefty. Both of them are ambidextrous (and both happen to be switch-hitters in baseball)
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty
    There are a couple of guys at my club who hit right-handed and putt lefty. Both of them are ambidextrous (and both happen to be switch-hitters in baseball)
    What's a switch hitter

He can switch from riht hand to left hand to try and stuff up the pitchers rhythm.

Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by terryand
    He can switch from riht hand to left hand to try and stuff up the pitchers rhythm.

Terry.
    Thought it might be something like that. Thanks PT. :P
    Ambidextrous indeed.

Thread Information