Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Tuesday 5 April Jimandr v Coffs_Hacker Jimandr wins 3&2

I am taking a risk posting before the booking is 100% confirmed, but matchplay is all about risk (I think ).

I am playing Coffs_Hacker in the first round of the NSW Matchplay, and we are going to do it next Tuesday.

Trung was making the booking for me, and hasn't confirmed it yet, but I'm sure he will come through. He has assured me spots should be available.

The booking will be for a group of four, so anybody who has that day free is welcome to join us, to act as marker/referee, witness, a shoulder to cry on, etc.

1. Jimandr
    2. Coffs_Hacker

I should warn any fans of high quality matchplay that I haven't broken my handicap for three months, and blown from five to seven since Xmas, while Coffs is trying to claim he needs another 8 shots on his 12 h'cap. I wonder if he's trying to lull me into a sense of security Why would he make an effort to fly down from Coffs, play a guy he's never met, spend a night with in-laws then fly back again the next day if he's chopping it about

I'll know next Tuesday

Actual time will be confirmed tomorrow.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Jimmy,

The earliest time for 4 players is 12.33pm.. (I have booked you in there).. Hope this is not too late for CoffsH.

Booking name: Jim Andrews (Camden Valley) 4 players.

If by the end of the week and there are still only 2 of you. You can move up to an earlier tee time by ringing the proshop.

Rgs,

Trung

Trung,

Thanks for your effort.

I'll leave the decision up to Coffs whether to leave it at 12.33 or bid for an earlier time for just the two of us. Personally, 12.33 is fine by me.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Would love to play but unfortunatly I am working. Good luck to the both of you and may the best player win.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

12:33 is fine by me.. Gives me time to warm up the old limbs :P

Thanx Trung and jim for organising the game.

s9-1 Pro 10.5 | 906f2 15* 18.5* | Maxfli a10 Tour 3-p| x-forged 52* 58* | Odyssey Black I9

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

gotta say .... nice job by Coffs_Hacker to fly down for this match =D>

that's dedication
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

12.33 it is, even if we don't get any other OzGolf companions. i'll leave it open until Friday, then ring the club and give some members the chance to fill the spots.

How do I change the heading on this thread to reflect the confirmed time?

jimandr, edit your original post and then you can amend the thread name. [/b]

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Trung
    jimandr, edit your original post and then you can amend the thread name.
    Or get a moderator to do it for you.

As there are no takers for the vacant spots, I have now rung the club and cancelled them. I imagine some members will fill the spots over the weekend.

Coffs and myself will have to play our match within the comp, with people we don't know.

I'm still looking forward to it. Should be fun

Trung,

Thanks for the hint about changing the heading. It works

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Default Re: Carnarvon Tuesday 5 April, 12:33pm, Jimandr v Coffs_Hack

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr
    1. Jimandr
    2. Coffs_Hacker

Coffs is trying to claim he needs another 8 shots on his 12 h'cap. I wonder if he's trying to lull me into a sense of security

No. He needs em!

If you wanna get under his skin... ask him how much better his previous SnakeEyes driver was... ie. the one that was stolen at Bonville....

By the way, good effort on going all that way for the game Craig.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Ha nice try Bris I'm so over that incident damm thievin ba***rds, mung***ls, pr***s. as*****le

Like i said way over it

Plus side i can claim the trip as a business expence

s9-1 Pro 10.5 | 906f2 15* 18.5* | Maxfli a10 Tour 3-p| x-forged 52* 58* | Odyssey Black I9

The game has been played, and the result is in.

Jimandr received a number of gift holes on the way to a hard fought 3 and 2 win.

I would firstly like to thank Coffs for making the big effort to travel from Coffs Harbour to Carnarvon just to play a game of golf. He is a good guy, and I can strongly recommend seeking him out for a game if you are in Coffs (if he is still there). Beware though, if he plays regularly he's a better player than 12, and may give you a thrashing.

I also need to observe that Carnarvon was not in good condition. The fairways were softish, but quite good, apart from the patches where the crows have dug up the fairways. But the greens were awful. Soft, slow, very bumpy and with unrepaired pitchmarks everywhere. I hope they are due for a coring and sanding soon, cos they need it. It's a pity, as some of the greens would be fearsome if they were quick.

To the game itself. I will go into some detail as quite a few of us are familiar with the course.

We started on the 10th, which turned out to be important, as I believe the finishing holes on the front are better than the back. We both started poorly, and squared the first three with bogeys. I won the 13th with a regulation par. At this point, Coffs had displayed one of the worst putting performances in the history of golf, 3 putting three of the first four, never getting his first putt within 8 feet of the hole. 14 is a difficult par 4, where I had to give him a shot. Coffs wasted that shot by playing a great hole, hitting his second to about 10 feet while I struggled to a bogey. I got back to one up after more putting errors.

The 17th was our highlight hole, where both of us played great shots. Its a short par 5, where again I was giving him a shot. He hit a great drive to be within range, but he missed the green about 20 metres short and right. I got lucky with my wedge to about 3 feet. Craig responded to the pressure with a magic chip that almost went in, stopping 2 feet away. Had I holed my 3 footer I would lose the hole with a birdie, so I aimed for one of the larger pitchmarks and missed the short putt. Back to square! I won the 18th with a par, to turn at one up.

Our 10th (the 1st) would be a turning point. I drove into the trees on the left, while again Craig boomed a drive within range. I got lucky and had a shot out, successful to 120m short, while Craig's approach stopped no more than 5 metres short of the green. I then hit my shot of the day, a perfect 8 iron to 10 feet. Craig chipped to 8 feet past. I holed my putt for birdie, he missed his, so I stole the hole to go 2 up.

He got back to 1 down at the next with a par, then I holed a nasty downhill 12 footer to steal it back at the third. He got that back at the 4th (where I gave him a shot). Then he gave the 5th away. From that point i think the pressure of playing catchup got to him. I won the 6th with a par to go 3up, 3 to play, then we elegantly halved the 7th with double bogeys.

Craig's shot of the day was yet to come. The 8th is a long, fairly difficult par 4. Coffs drove into the trees on the left. He had a small gap, requiring a low, penetrating iron to get anywhere. The 4 iron from 165 was better than great, landing on the false front and stopping 8 feet from the hole. A fabulous shot. Pity he missed the putt.

We were still playing the comp while match playing each other. I had 35pts, Coffs_Hacker 33pts (wiping the last). Even though I had the card, I didn't know that I was going alright until I added them up as I was so absorbed in the matchplay. And Coffs didn't know he'd run out of holes when I went to shake his hand with two to play.

It probably helps the enjoyment because I was the victor, but I thoroughly enjoyed the day. I can't wait for the next one.

Sorry this is such a long post, but a short description wouldn't do this day justice.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Thanks for the detail, Jim, it was a good read. And well done.

I'll update the draw/results thread tomorrow.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Well played Jim. Congrats on the win.

Sorry to hear you got pipped Craig. Sounds like you showed a few glimpses of the form you're capable of. I still recall vividly the eagle lip-out you had at Lakelands after two monster shots. If you played even semi-regularly you'd be a single-marker, no probs.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Congrats Jim Your opponent will be decided on Sunday

Jim, glad you enjoyed our greens, one of the best in the area at the moment... not...

Jan & Feb were not good for those greens, hopefully the cooler months will see improvement.

CoffsH, sorry to hear that you lost.. I was looking forward for a trip to Coffs Harbour... I don't have to do that now .

What can I say to such a brilliant performance yesterday "I choked" :P

Well Done Jim on a great game and a great Day really enjoyed it. The greens were crappy but it wouldn't of helped me anyway, I think they were the slowest I have ever played on, was creating pitch marks with chips from 5m they were that soft.

Good luck jim in your next round

(p.s even though you did give me 5 shots jim i prob would of won those holes anyway )

Thread Information