Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I was a bit disappointed there was no baseball on TV today, but on Sunday in the USA, football rules.

It was the last day of the regular season, and the wild cards were still up for grabs, so it would have been great viewing.

There are a number of possible cinderella stories, so it will be hard to decide which teams to cheer for. Texas and Washington have never won, Cleveland's drought goes back a long time, and Cubs have the most famous title drought in American Sport, back to 1908.

First wild card game is on Wednesday, our time.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Major Winner

Go Twins!

Banned

Go Braves! Oh wait, they stink now don't they?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Go Jays!

It isn't looking good for your Jays, JC. Cleveland have a look about them that is very similar to Kansas of last year. Their lesser lights are producing with the bat, and their bullpen is very strong.

Having said that, baseball is proving to be its unpredictable self again. Pitchers hitting homers, pinch hitters hitting grand slams, star batters having slumps and unhittable pitchers getting hit.

Never give up is definitely the theme of this post-season so far.

I'm loving it.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    It isn't looking good for your Jays, JC. Cleveland have a look about them that is very similar to Kansas of last year. Their lesser lights are producing with the bat, and their bullpen is very strong.

Having said that, baseball is proving to be its unpredictable self again. Pitchers hitting homers, pinch hitters hitting grand slams, star batters having slumps and unhittable pitchers getting hit.

Never give up is definitely the theme of this post-season so far.

I'm loving it.
    Cleveland have looked amazing, especially when you consider how much their rotation has been decimated by injury.

I've always liked the Tribe. If there is one club in the AL I wouldn't mind losing to, it is them.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Now that my mob went out without even a whimper, an ideal WS would be the down and outs.....Tribe v Cubbies, either win would be massive in the home towns

Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    Now that my mob went out without even a whimper, an ideal WS would be the down and outs.....Tribe v Cubbies, either win would be massive in the home towns
    You are getting your wish, OR.

This is the dream series for any baseball fan who doesn't have strong support for one team. Two teams that are built for underdog support, and either win will be a Cinderella Story.

The crowd atmosphere is always great at the World Series, but this one should be off the charts in both cities.

I think the Cubs are the better team (now their bats have woken up), but the Indians have been great all post-season. I've just tossed a coin, and it came up tails. So that means I'll cheer for Cleveland (so get your money on the Cubs).

Going to be a cracker of a series Jim, cubs certainly worked Kershaw out today, going for the cubs cause it would be good for baseball and my american uncle Tom owns the team

The Cubs have made a fairly unlikely comeback, and now they appear to have the momentum in their favour. But Cleveland have their best pitchers available.

Even though I said earlier I didn't mind if either team won, I've actually been cheering for the Cubs.

It doesn't get much better than this though. Game 7, and you genuinely don't know which team is more likely to win.

Are there any teams from outside the USA in the 'World Series'?

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    Are there any teams from outside the USA in the 'World Series'?
    The cream of the rest of the world are there:

Toronto BlueJays

Well that was a pretty good game.

Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    Well that was a pretty good game.
    yep great game great series, well done Cubbies

Banned

Finally got the chance to watch game 7. Haven't watched many games this year but that had to have been one of the best games I've seen in years! What a great game. Well done Cubs! Not a bad effort to be 3-1 down and win three in a row to clinch it. The last 2 on the road as well! Love it when National League beats American League too!

New season starts tomorrow morning, our time. 3 games back to back to back on ESPN. With a lot of golf on tomorrow I won't watch it all, but the remote might get a workout.

Logic says the Cubs should go close again, but logic doesn't have much basis in the warped reality that is baseball. Red Sox should be very good, and the evil Yankees might go well, but that is a very difficult division.

I'll cheer for the teams I always cheer for, which as a general rule are the teams I've seen live. Go Cubs, Giants, White Sox, A's and Royals, but the last three aren't much chance, to be honest.

So, the regular season is over.

For once, there was no surprise team winning its division, so the good teams have made the post-season and should beat the wild card teams. But, you never know.

I know of one Ozgolfer who will be most interested in the wild card playoff on Thursday morning, our time.

Go Twins! It's a Richmond style rise to the top

Another year passes, and this one is a disaster.

The western evil empire against one of the eastern evil empires. I guess baseball fans have been lucky in recent years that spending the most money on salaries has not been the magic formula for success. But that has changed this year.

I'm not sure who I want to win. The semi-ironic thing is that both teams are successful because of their home-grown guys being paid normal salaries, rather than the superstars they have bought because they can. If forced to pick a team I think I'll go for the Redsox, only because I like the Killer B's.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

It was good to see the Brewers being in the race,Astros put on a good show but the Red Sox have just been to good this season.I don't care who wins from here,would rather watch softball

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Dodgers win Game 3 3-2 in the bottom of the 18th. Almost 7 1/2 hours. According to some stats guy the whole 1939 World Series was done in less time.

Quote Originally Posted by KristianJ View Post
    Dodgers win Game 3 3-2 in the bottom of the 18th. Almost 7 1/2 hours. According to some stats guy the whole 1939 World Series was done in less time.
    Watched it all.

It was great for a while, but I was wishing it would end after about the 14th. It was a bit like watching a nil all soccer game in extra time. Please score!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Fell asleep during the 12th.I played in a grand final that went 13 innings.Its ok if your playing,not much fun as a spectator if nothing is happening

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

So, in the end the least worst of the bad guys triumphed.

The Red Sox have been the best team all year, so they deserved their win. i still wish they had been knocked out earlier, though.

They will probably celebrate their win by signing Clayton Kershaw. Then I'll dislike them even more.

They don’t mess around

Thread Information