+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default AndyP v Rusty 2010

AndyP vs Rusty
    2009 Champ vs 2008 Champ
    Handicaps: 12 (11.5) vs 12 (11.7)
    Head to head: Rusty 1; AndyP 0; Ties 3
    Previous matches: Mt Coolum, June 2007 - All Sq; Beerwah, June 2007 - Rusty 5/4;

2010 Game 1 Wrap-up: http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php...024#post460024
    Oxley, March 2010 - All Sq
    F9 A A - R A - R R -
    B9 R - - - A A A R R

2010 Game 2 Wrap-up:
    Virginia, March 2010 - All Sq
    F9 A - - R R A A - -
    B9 R R A A R A - - R

Yesterday's match was even tighter than our encounter at Oxley. There was never a lead of more than 1 hole at any stage. A lot of the holes would see me get from tee to greenside in regulation, but rarely getting up and down in another two shots, while Rusty would scramble his way around from difficult spots.

I felt that I got myself in position (greenside) to win more holes, but let myself down with the short game. Rusty seemed to get into trouble a lot, but kept coming up with really good shots, either from the trees to find the green, or a chip to ensure a one putt.

Key things that I can remember:
    - Rusty found the trees or another fairway, then hit the green with great approaches on 4, 8, 10 and 17. (The only two times I went in the trees, I had to chip out sideways)
    - I rolled a nice putt in for a birdie and a win on the par 3 12th
    - 15: All square coming off a Rusty win and both of us are safely on the fairway (Rusty via a bounce off the trees and a good distance back). Rusty hits a good shot to be short and right. I don't commit to my shot and send it way right of my target leaving a chip over a bunker to the narrow part of the green. I opt to play safe and resist going at the pin to give myself a chance to putt. Rusty hits his chip too strong and rolls off the other side, then doesn't make it to the green with the next one. My two putt bogey is enough to win the hole. AndyP 1up.
    - 16: I get a bit nervy over my next drive and heel it about 50m down the middle, flush a 3 iron down the guts, then choke with the next 3 iron right into the trees, needing a chip out to 120m for my fourth. Rusty drills his drive down the centre, tugs a hybrid left flirting with the tree line, then blasts the approach over the back right with a few bounces on the path. Knowing I had to go for it, I pure my approach to within a few feet and Rusty doesn't get up and down, and I get my putt for a square. AndyP 1up.
    - 17: Rusty is out on the 16th fairway, but hits a brilliant shot on to the front of the green from 190m or thereabouts. With the pressure on again, but in the centre of the fairway, I manage a dead straight 3 iron to also leave a putt (but a long one). We both make our pars on a tough hole for the square and I still lead one up.
    - 18: I leave my drive a little right in the rough, and Rusty hits a great drive drawing down the centre. With the green out of my reach with an iron, I'm happy to leave it short and safe and do so. Rusty tugs his approach left narrowly avoiding a long grass bunker. I hit a crappy chip short that still leaves a long putt, and Rusty gets his chip on to give himself a chance at making the putt. I get too confident with my uphill putt and pump it past several feet. Rusty misses his
    putt and taps in for his five. My putt for the match starts outside the left as planned, breaks only a little bit, gets a good piece of the lip (for the fourth time in the day) and spits it out on the right hand side. Rusty wins the hole and it's all square through 36 holes.

Well done on hanging in there, Rusty. See you Saturday for Game 3 and maybe Sunday for Game 4. Are you free Easter Monday?
    Last edited by AndyP; 1st April 2010 at 11:21 AM.

How has this affected you people, except to give you something to whinge about? We have not held up the draw, so get over it.

A putt-off is a stupid idea. Isn't the winner meant to be the person that plays the best golf, not putts the best? Why not have a long driving comp? Or see how many times one can bounce the ball on their nine iron without it hitting the ground.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

And?

2010 Game 4 Wrap-up
    Headland, April 2010 - AndyP wins 4 and 3

F9 R A - - A A - - - -
    B9 - R - A A A

After nearly 4 complete rounds we have finally finished our match. It wasn't the close affair of the past three rounds, and ended in a 4 and 3 victory to myself.

We are both glad that it is finally over, because as the pressure built over each round, it was definitely affecting our games (choking).

Rusty's game was definitely down today from all of the other rounds, with a few triple bogeys in his round. At the same time, I was steady for the most part and avoided disaster holes (I won the hole with my only double bogey).

Thanks for the matches, Rusty, it was a great contest. I hope I don't have to play against you again though. I'm over it.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    A putt-off is a stupid idea.
    A putt off has merit if putting is a skill that both golfers are evenly matched in, otherwise how could you make allowances for strokes given?
    Cant be done equitably at all. Even for two players on the same handicap.

It seemed my suggestion of shooting both golfers has unanimous support, so get on with it and go sudden death for halved matches!
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Congrats on the win AndeePee.

Rusty, where the bloody hell were ya ?!?

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Congrats Andy, commiserations Rusty. Righto Andy LET'S GET IT ON

Banned

Congrats on the drawn out victory andyp

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Well done AP, bad luck Rusty.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

The Pressure of a 72 hole first round match got to Rusty. Was amazing to watch the tie on Saturday.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Thanks for the congratulations, I think.

Tex, I'll send you a PM soon to discuss our availability, but I wouldn't expect our match to be played in April.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Thanks for the congratulations, I think.

Tex, I'll send you a PM soon to discuss our availability, but I wouldn't expect our match to be played in April.
    surely you need to start in april, you might take 5 games or more to get it done this round
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

well, what a match. well done AP. we finally got a winner after the 69th hole. i just couldn't keep up today. i would've liked to have won the 72nd hole to finish with a draw

Thread Information