Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Newcastle GC and The Vintage.

Guys, wife just surprised me and said we flying to Newcastle tomorrow for a quick golf trip!

Am booked at Newcastle tomorrow and the Vintage (staying at some Chateau there?) on Tuesday. Never been to the area so have no idea what to expect.

Anyone can tell me what conditioning is like?

BTW... go Webber - off to GP turn one seats.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Hey Rodders..
    I can't speak for The Vintage, however Newcastle is in quite good condition. By quite good i mean I have seen it better but I think you will still be very happy with it.
    There was 1 temporary on the 4th when I played there last 2 weeks ago, however I believe the normal green is back in play now!

Bring some Aeroguard to Newcastle, as the humid weather has the mozzies out..

Enjoy
    Last edited by Minor_Threat; 28th March 2010 at 11:52 AM.
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

A guy I played with at Waratah on Wednesday said that Vintage's condition wasn't that great at the moment. It was really good in December when I was there though.

Thanks Guys. Being a member of Spring Valley and "next to the tip" , first thing I pack is industrial strength Bushman's - works a treat but hold breath when spray.

I'll take some snaps and post thoughts on both courses.

Blog Entries

Rodders, ask them about the proposed Watson 'Master Plan'. Feel free to tell them not to destroy a great course! (Speaking as an EX-Member who is on the Honour Board)

Pete
    Gamers
    Ping G430 LST 9* Driver with CB55 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    TM Stealth 2 Hybrid with Nemeses 90 M4 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Rodders, ask them about the proposed Watson 'Master Plan'. Feel free to tell them not to destroy a great course! (Speaking as an EX-Member who is on the Honour Board)

Pete
    In all fairness it is not a master plan, but more so getting a 3rd parties input into what could be done.. You will note in the thread regarding the Development plan (that I started) I am against many of the ideas Watson has put forward!
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

If you need an alternative to The Vintage, Pacific Dunes was in good nik when i was there 2 weeks ago.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    If you need an alternative to The Vintage, Pacific Dunes was in good nik when i was there 2 weeks ago.
    Cypress Lakes is close to The Vintage, as is the Hunter Valley Golf and Country Club. I have not played either, but drove past them whislt driving through the Vineyards last weekend.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

If you went against The Vintage, Cypress Lakes is a lot of fun and has a really good day spa that your missus might enjoy.

But the Vintage is great fun and who really cares about conditioning anyway, unless it's unplayable.
    Last edited by Scottt; 30th March 2010 at 06:55 AM.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I have played lots at the Vintage and the condition is usually very good but haven't been up there this year. Played Newcastle once last year and won't be back in a hurry....sorry guys. Vintage is fun and in my opinion is better than Cypress by far.

Guys, back from short trip up North and here are my thoughts:

Newcaslte GC
    Played: 29 March 2010
    Cost: $50 because hired a cart otherwise $15 because reciprocal rights with Spring valley.
    Weather: overcast and bloody humid about 11am.

Better than expected to be honest. I liked the design and I was surprised how green the course was for the most part.

Teed off just after landing so about 9am - no one in the way for most part.

Greens were a tad slow mainly due to moisture on green but quickened up the end.

Layout I didn't mind although they are clearly changing that.

People at the club were great - staff very friendly.

Only issue is I think the 4th was temp green. Like putting on the fairway, cause it was!

Not sure how much they charge for full visitors but I think it is definitely worth it.

Shot 81 with 5 hours sleep and trip from Melb.

The Vintage

Played: 30 March 2010
    Cost: $95 unlimited with cart.
    Weather: Shitenhausen - miserable drizzle/ rain whole day.

Despite the weather, which was absolute crap, this was my only chance to play so braved it - twice!

Hit off around 9am in pouring rain. A few others on the course at this time.

Quite frankly I thought the place was great. Certainly better than the courses I played at Gold coast in Jan.

Despite the weather, the course held up pretty well. The greens were pretty good too.

The 2nd was a temp green which looked as if they found the crappiest bit of fairway and stuck flag in. Made the 4th at Newcastle look like Augusta!

The course played long mainly because absolutely no carry because of rain. All balls on green would plug.

I played another round about 2pm and was the only idiot mad enough to play - did not see anyone for whole 18. This was good as only took 3 hours to play.

I would love to play it in the dry. It was super green and well maintained - not sure it will be that way once all houses sold though.

One thing that caught me out was the rough. it looks like shortish grass but that stuff really grabs your club - got me a couple of times.

Rounds were 81 and 83 - I was happy with that all things considered.

All in all, I liked both courses. Also saw Cypress - hilly, dry fairways and patchy looking greens. And Country Club - pretty crappy! - Now both were drive byes so keep that in mind.

Finally some pics. 2,4 and 5 Newcastle, others Vintage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rodders View Post
    Layout I didn't mind although they are clearly changing that.
    The layout will not be changing for quite a long time if at all.

Glad you enjoyed your time, although it is a pity the course is at about 70% quality of what it can be.

Thread Information