Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Membership options

I live in Hawthorn and Im thinking of joining either Rosanna or Yering Meadows which is the better club? I read an article about Yering Meadows in a recent golf mag. and it sounds nice but I dont know much about the Rosanna course/club.

(I looked into Kew, Green Acres and Latrobe but all are out of the question due to waiting lists or ridiculously high joining fees. )

Cheers
    Yoshi

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Both pretty good tracks.

Croydon still has some settling in to do and it seems to have water on almost every hole. Its a good facility with 27 holes so it has a bit of extra variety.

Rosanna is a good members course and i features a couple of heartstopping climbs. The pro there Richard Cooney is pretty well regarded as a teacher. Its a bit closer for you but probably not by a real lot timewise.

Both clubs get you access to the other courses in the Yarra courses arrangements these include LaTrobe, Green Acres, Heidelberg but not Kew who dropped out of it.

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Come down to Cranbourne... It is the hidden jewel of Melbourne!!!
    I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Cranbourne, looks nice but its a bit far away.

I didnt realise Rosanna was a hilly course, i was told is was 'undulating'. Ive never had anyone mention 'heartstopping climbs' before, are you sure your not getting mixed up with Heidelberg GC?

Doesnt surprise me that Kew GC have dropped out, most of their members hated 'visitors' from the other clubs and didnt want to play the other 'inferior' courses....

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I live in Hawthorn and Im thinking of joining either Rosanna or Yering Meadows which is the better club? I read an article about Yering Meadows in a recent golf mag. and it sounds nice but I dont know much about the Rosanna course/club.

(I looked into Kew, Green Acres and Latrobe but all are out of the question due to waiting lists or ridiculously high joining fees. )

Cheers
    Yoshi
    If you are not paying any joining fees the ongoing viability of the club is less important to you.

If you are paying i would ask to have a look at the past couple of annual reports, have a look at how joining fees are being spent (course upgrades vs supporting the present membership), food and beverage (is it a drain on the club), function revenue etc. Pain in the asre but with the liklehood of clubs closing you don't want to do your dough.

Is Kew (for example) expensive because the club is in fantastic financial shape, you get a good track and you never pay a second joining fee.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Yoshi, at what level does a joining fee cease being "ridiculously high" for you?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Also Yering Meadows have the best pies ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Cranbourne, looks nice but its a bit far away.

I didnt realise Rosanna was a hilly course, i was told is was 'undulating'. Ive never had anyone mention 'heartstopping climbs' before, are you sure your not getting mixed up with Heidelberg GC?

Doesnt surprise me that Kew GC have dropped out, most of their members hated 'visitors' from the other clubs and didnt want to play the other 'inferior' courses....
    No I am not confusing it.

The climbs are fewer but steeper than at Heidelberg. Most of Rosanna's holes are on the flat but the clubhouse is quite a bit above the level of most of the course. You have to climb back up to the clubhouse level once each nine, they have a t-bar thingy to make the climb from the 18th green (which is on the flat) to the clubhouse an easier one.

Jack,

What I meant to say was 'ridiculously high' for what you get for your money. I dont believe that Green Acres is worth $4600 to join or Latrobe $3200 as I dont rate their courses. I was happy to purchase a C-class share ($16000) to join The National as I felt the courses and facilities justified the cost.

I have not ruled out Woodlands which is asking around $6500 joining fee but its a bit further to get to (done the long drive thing before with the National - getting tiring after awhile). So im not against paying high joining fees if I like the course, facilities..etc

Hawkers,

Interesting.. Thanks for the clarification.
    Im going to take the long way home from work to check it out..

Perry,

I would imagine Kew are very sound financially but I personally dont rate there course and therefore not worth the money.

Cheers

I would have thought the joining fees for each of the courses you mention was reasonable in comparison to the course quality. Make sure you check how easy it is to get a game when you prefer to play as some of these places that offer appealling joining fees are booked solid well in advance.

Agree on the National - the hour and a half drive there and back wouldn't interest me at all, especially as I believe the courses are a bit over rated.

what do u think of the heritage membership options ? have you looked at them ?
    --- LEFT HAND LOW --

BAG IN PLAY
    Titty 917 D3 Diamana White 70g S
    Taylormade Stage 2 5 wood
    Titleist 913H 23 Deg - Phantom
    Titleist 718cb 4- PW Project 6.0 X Flighted
    Vokey SM5 54 deg
    Callaway X Tour 56 Deg
    Vokey SM5 60 Deg
    Odyessey 1w Stroke Lab

aren't they having a few financial issues out there at the moment?

apparently they are.. but i dont know the whole story. couldnt see it going under tho
    --- LEFT HAND LOW --

BAG IN PLAY
    Titty 917 D3 Diamana White 70g S
    Taylormade Stage 2 5 wood
    Titleist 913H 23 Deg - Phantom
    Titleist 718cb 4- PW Project 6.0 X Flighted
    Vokey SM5 54 deg
    Callaway X Tour 56 Deg
    Vokey SM5 60 Deg
    Odyessey 1w Stroke Lab

I did make enquiries at The Heritage and the cheapest individual share was $19,190.

It was never really on the radar as an option but even more so now that I am aware that administrators are involved.

'couldnt see it going under tho' - this remains to be seen. If you read some of the articiles in the paper we wont know until a full audit of Mr. Lettens dealing are complete. Hopefully the golf course side of things was/is making money in which case someone would likely buy that operation, if not who knows what will happen.. Will be very interested to see what the auditors dig up.

Thread Information