Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Default St Andrews Beach

I had allways regretted not playing here before it went tits up. The bankers have reopened it in a pretty lean and mean operation to get some cash flow from having to maintain while they try and find a buyer.

So today I finally got around to playing here. I really enjoyed it.

Overall the course is great, definately one of the best I have played. Its in pretty good shape but it could probably do with a bit more love. I guess that the bankers have a limit to how capital they will supply to keep it ticking over.
    Last edited by Hawkers2008; 7th March 2010 at 12:13 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Did you walk or cart it?
    I have heard that it is a tough walk. I must go and play soon before daylight savings finishes. I think they still have a good afternoon deal on there.
    The pro used to be at Sandhurst?? ( I think ) and is a customer of mine ( florist) and is a real nice guy.
    Thanks for the reminder. May even give it a go on Monday - holiday.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

I saw this track on the Pro Shop the other night, it looks fantastic and if I was closer, I would go out of my way for a hit there.

I hate carts, I walked it. There are quite a few steep climbs on the course but I didn't find it unmanageable and I am pretty unfit.

are they going to build and ACTUAL clubhouse not use portable classrooms ?
    --- LEFT HAND LOW --

BAG IN PLAY
    Titty 917 D3 Diamana White 70g S
    Taylormade Stage 2 5 wood
    Titleist 913H 23 Deg - Phantom
    Titleist 718cb 4- PW Project 6.0 X Flighted
    Vokey SM5 54 deg
    Callaway X Tour 56 Deg
    Vokey SM5 60 Deg
    Odyessey 1w Stroke Lab

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Why does that matter? It's not a member course, so I'm assuming it's mostly relying on green fees to keep it profitable. Many clubs get themselves into trouble spending money on the clubhouse, when they don't need to.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

My old man and a big crew went down there last week and I only heard great feedback about the course. Just annoyed that i couldn't join them on the day.
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

I played the course for the first time last week and was disappointed with the conditioning considering its ranked in the top 10 in the country. (Im hoping I just played its on one of its off days.)

The greens are slow and bumpy(in some areas), some of the bunkers look like rubbish dumps(plastic, drink cans...etc) and practice green is a joke (shouldnt have bothered - its like putting on a rug).

The course design is a good one but the fairways are overly generous for a course of its length (even when the wind blows). The green complexes are a highlight, a nice natural flow to them which is a real treat to see on a modern golf course as most have a very artificial feel too them.

Dont get me wrong St. Andrews is a good course I just dont think it should be in the top 10. I bet The National are wishing they had asked Doak to do the 'Ocean' course instead of Thommo.

I really hope at some point some company will take a punt and take over the St. Andrews development and complete the rest of the project (Clubhouse, 2nd course and practice facilities..etc).

Cheers
    Yoshi

Quote Originally Posted by just View Post
    Why does that matter? It's not a member course, so I'm assuming it's mostly relying on green fees to keep it profitable. Many clubs get themselves into trouble spending money on the clubhouse, when they don't need to.
    its not a huge issue but if you travel a distance to go an play a course that was rated in the top 10 then you kind of expect good facilities to compliment it. practice green was a joke i agree. when i was there i couldnt even get something to eat.. SURELY a golf club can provide food to purchase and decent amenities.
    --- LEFT HAND LOW --

BAG IN PLAY
    Vokey SM5 54 deg
    Callaway X Tour 56 Deg
    Vokey SM5 60 Deg
    Odyessey 1w Stroke Lab

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Yoshi
    why would they build a second course when they are struggling to make the one they have a success?
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

The facilities are a bit spartan no doubt about it. Its unrealistic to think that the bankers will do anything over than keep it ticking over so no development is likely until there is a new owner. Best to look at it this way, a visit here is all about the golf which is really top notch (although a little rough around the edges).

Bruce,

The initial development was for 2 courses, huge practice fairway, putts greens, chipping areas, land sales...etc. this all was put on hold when land sales and memberships were not filled leaving a huge shortfall in funds.

What I was trying to get across was that it would be sad for the original vision/project not to be completed as it has the potential to be one of the best golf complexes in the country if it were to be completed. Unfortunately, the reality is this is highly unlikely, given the decline in people taking out golf memberships, the existing debt the project has incurred to date ( approx. $2Mil ??) and the current economy.

I also have concerns over the future of the existing course. The current operators have a short term contract to maintain the course, whether they allowed to continue or want to continue after the contract is over remains to be seen. So the fate of the existing course is far from secure.

Cheers
    Yoshi

I can't see the original vision being realised, it went tits up owing the banks and other creditors plenty. The people who bought memberships also become creditors in the process. Whilst it easy to say that the other projects (mainly san remo) were the cause of the developer going under, the fact remains that this was a pretty unattractive business despite the obvious quality fo the course. If that wasn't the case the property would have been sold a long time ago.

The operation will continue as it is until someone buys it or the bank gets tired of providing working capital. For it to become an attractive sale prospect I suspect that the land that would have become the second course needs to be developed for housing.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Had a round there today with some work mates from Melbourne. It's in pretty darn good nick and the design is lovely - my only criticism is that Doak may have overdone the 'raised tee with a panoramic view of the fairway below' concept - I got sick of saying 'woah' on the tee after the tenth time. It's an interesting course - not too long which is the fad these days, but it still manages to be bloody hard using a combination of hilly fairways (good luck getting a flat stance for your second), tough greens with some wicked slopes around them, and nasty, nasty rough. Oh, and the bunkers. One of my mates got stuck in one of them and ended up giving up after 5 attempts. That made the whole day worthwhile.

The wind was up a little today, and I found it really hard to get my second shot on the greens, which is a recipe for disaster for a guy like me who can't chip. I started terribly and had 25 on the board after 3 holes and I've got to say the course had me rattled. I was more worried about missing and getting into the shit and I stopped thinking about where I wanted to hit the ball. I was seriously considering bunting out the rest of the day, but I managed to turn it around eventually. Still raised the bat though. How embarrassing!

Strangest happening for the day was watching a ferret run into the clubhouse.

Oh, and they've got some old model footjoys going for $100 in the pro shop if anybody down that way needs some shoes.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Looks like there is some hope for the place, which is great news players down here.

Taken from the St Andrews Beach website: I wonder who they may be?

Nearly two months after being passed in at auction the St Andrews Beach Golf Course has been sold and will have new owners from September 1.

The major shareholder, an individual who has a passion for golf has teamed up with a Melbourne based accounting firm, a golf course architect and the current golf course operations management group to complete the sale.

New ownership will see an immediate boost to the course maintenance infrastructure to ensure the course matches up to its Australian top 10 ranking.

Golf Services Management spokesman Ian Denny said the new owners are committed to an ambitious development plan for the facility. The sale will see an immediate injection of funds to develop first class facilities, including a new clubhouse to compliment the existing golf course. He also added that having formed a sound financial structure as a premiere pay to play venue, the Gunnamatta course will remain open to the public 7 days a week, and with permits for a hotel, day spa, condominiums and another championship golf course, they are extremely excited that St Andrews Golf Course will truly become one of the great golf destinations in Australia”

This is good news for those who travel south and want to make use of Bruce's golfing chauffeur and accompaniment service.

StAB is #1 on the list of places to take a visitor for the foreseeable future.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    This is good news for those who travel south and want to make use of Bruce's golfing chauffeur and accompaniment service.

StAB is #1 on the list of places to take a visitor for the foreseeable future.
    How is your calendar looking for Sept 16-22 (prelim final weekend)?

Clear so far - wanna come and play some golf

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Long walks along the beach including skimming stones afterwards?

That's in the deluxe package.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Pencil it in.

let me know when your playing down there bruce and i will join you
    --- LEFT HAND LOW --

BAG IN PLAY
    Vokey SM5 54 deg
    Callaway X Tour 56 Deg
    Vokey SM5 60 Deg
    Odyessey 1w Stroke Lab

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Going for a hit in a few weeks time. The way some are talking this track up I hope its going to live up to expectations.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post
    Going for a hit in a few weeks time. The way some are talking this track up I hope its going to live up to expectations.
    If you like links courses you'll love it.

If you don't, it's OK.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

My tip. The first green is to the left of the fairway and not the right.

Its a ripper of a track.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Thread Information