Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 650 AUD (65%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Martinez19696

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    Not sure if its taboo to be posting content from another forum but this is really good stuff, a great insight, Elk and his mate practicing before the Hope. You can see Elk is really workin on the method.
    a few things i noticed

- Elk cant see the pin or ball finish.
    - You got to bribe cart shed workers to get a free cart.
    - when hitting driver was his back foot turned in (or did the camera angle deceive me)
    - 270m carry is impressive for a 49yo
    - my choice of clubmaker is vindicated; Gary Tozer.

now whats the deal with the pre-shot routing of the casual backswing, rest club on shoulder, turn, then step into the stance with both feet. I assume he is 'setting' something, at first i thought hips but perhaps not.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 30th January 2011 at 05:29 PM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

you think too much Blakey
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    a few things i noticed
    - when hitting driver was his back foot turned in (or did the camera angle deceive me)
    Yes, I believe he does turn his right foot in, but wait for Marty to confirm.

now whats the deal with the pre-shot routing of the casual backswing, rest club on shoulder, turn, then step into the stance with both feet. I assume he is 'setting' something, at first i thought hips but perhaps not.
    I think he's creating the feel he wants.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post
    you think too much Blakey
    Good to see that you are taking a notice of this thread, you were the first person that i thought of who would benefit the most from this teaching method (once i started to understand it), cos you are a short stocky fella with great hand/eye coordination. If I can stop slapping the ball, you most certainly can as well.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Mark...you remember the two fisted drill we did? That's what Elk is doing pre-shot...resting the club on his shoulder, then drops it down and just bends the left wrist and he has his set up.

I am leaving for the US on the 12th of Feb, I am going to the LA open then the Honda classic in Fl, and in between to Texas. I would love to do another one day clinic before I go, if there is enough interest. I will be gone for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by martinez View Post
    I am leaving for the US on the 12th of Feb, I am going to the LA open then the Honda classic in Fl, and in between to Texas. I would love to do another one day clinic before I go, if there is enough interest. I will be gone for a month.
    C'mon boys, you won't regret it.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    C'mon boys, you won't regret it.
    I would be keen again.

All depends on the day you wanna do it.

My work roster isn't really friendly for a while now
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

I've got a pretty clean slate between now and the 12th, so any day would work at this point.

Found this gem, i think I can get a lot out of this.
    But i don't recommend using it against the expensive leather couch when the cook is around.

Last edited by markTHEblake; 2nd February 2011 at 12:40 AM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Found this gem, i think I can get a lot out of this.
    But i don't recommend using it against the expensive leather couch when the cook is around.

Yep, great vid.

I finally got to the range yesterday and took a shaft to put into the ground in front. Managed to hit it dead centre on about the 4th swing. Lucky it was only an old bent steel shaft

Haha, good stuff Dave. I have broken a few....I will be picking up a few alignment sticks when I go to the States.

Member Club Champion

Just read the entire thread. I'm off to Fiji 12th Feb and currently in NZ..... but can fly to Brisbane from Sydney on the 11th....if you'd propose holding another clinic that day of course....

Virge - thoughts? Or am I just way too early for any thing like this?

Stu
    Handicap - 22 (playing since Jan 09)
    Titleist AP1 710 LH, 3-PW
    Gripmaster Grips
    Driver Callaway X-Hot 10
    Taylormade R9 3 wood 15
    Callaway X-Hot 5 wood
    Cleveland 52 & 60 wedges
    Callaway SW 56
    Odessey Black Ice putter / Scotty Cameron something it works
    Balls - E6 Bridgestone / TM Lethal / TM TourP
    Oakley tour bag / Titleist Bag / Cleveland SB
    Maui Jim glasses
    Cohiba Siglo VI
    Ardbeg 1978 / Lagavulin 16yr old

Quote Originally Posted by martinez View Post
    I've got a pretty clean slate between now and the 12th, so any day would work at this point.
    Looks we aren't going to get this off the ground this time. Look forward to catching up with you Martin when you get back.

Dave,

Can you point me to the vids you mentioned this morning about the front foot please?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaWatty View Post
    Dave,

Can you point me to the vids you mentioned this morning about the front foot please?
    Watch the full vid (and the next 4 parts), but in particular see from about 8mins in when he talks about the lower body facing the target, and being prewound.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Martin stole AndyP's pants!

Marty, I was thinking about the instruction you gave on alignment, and as I already am familiar with the parallax error, I began to wonder if my putting is screwed up for that reason. I got an idea from this piece of equipment which you might find handy for your demonstration http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MLAT and on the putting green lined up a putt, and then kicked the ball out of the way and placed a long tee square up to the face. Yep was aiming 2 inches left on a 2m putt.

Seems the hardest thing to do is to train your mind to adjust the alignment, so after some experimentation, with my usual bag of old tricks, came up with something that worked.
    1. pick a spot 30cm or less in front of the ball to aim at - I do that anyway
    2. address the ball and align clubface - aiming line to my mark, and only looking at the putter head and the mark, not the hole at all.
    3. now rotate the head without moving the axis to look at the hole, so the eyes are aligned vertically, and putt while still looking at the hole.

So this way the brain has had no opportunity to link the alignment and the hole together. I have putted like this before but i would look at hoe>ball>hole>ball many times, and that defeats the purpose. As soon as i tried it i holed 6 x 3m putts in a row doing this, and that is bloody sensational.

This will probably only work for me a short time, but should be enough to retrain my brain.
    --
    Handy-Cap

http://www.youtube.com/user/interpau.../3/UdfNtLecZIA
    http://www.youtube.com/user/interpau.../2/eRyHGUVxgfo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/interpau.../1/DR05Yi9LGUw

Some great footage from Elk and Martin's clinic in LA. You can tell how much Elk believes in Martins method.

Thanks Gaz, some great reminders there.

Marty, I was thinking about the instruction you gave on alignment, and as I already am familiar with the parallax error, I began to wonder if my putting is screwed up for that reason. I got an idea from this piece of equipment which you might find handy for your demonstration http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MLAT and on the putting green lined up a putt, and then kicked the ball out of the way and placed a long tee square up to the face. Yep was aiming 2 inches left on a 2m putt.

Seems the hardest thing to do is to train your mind to adjust the alignment, so after some experimentation, with my usual bag of old tricks, came up with something that worked.
    1. pick a spot 30cm or less in front of the ball to aim at - I do that anyway
    2. address the ball and align clubface - aiming line to my mark, and only looking at the putter head and the mark, not the hole at all.
    3. now rotate the head without moving the axis to look at the hole, so the eyes are aligned vertically, and putt while still looking at the hole.

So this way the brain has had no opportunity to link the alignment and the hole together. I have putted like this before but i would look at hoe>ball>hole>ball many times, and that defeats the purpose. As soon as i tried it i holed 6 x 3m putts in a row doing this, and that is bloody sensational.

This will probably only work for me a short time, but should be enough to retrain my brain.
    This works because your hands are moving directly at the target when you are looking at the target. Do exactly the same thing while looking at the ball, only you will be directing your hands to where you perceive the target to be. There are two lines - the ball/target line & the hands/target line. Line up the putter face with the ball target line and move the hands on the hands/target line. You won't read this in putting books because secrets are secrets.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Blakey - do you really think alignment is important ?

Personally - i really wouldn't call it a fundemental at all...

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Blakey - do you really think alignment is important ?
    Obviously a loaded question, so I shall go with yes, interested to here what you have to say. Obviously some people can aim incorrectly but still put well.

Personally - i really wouldn't call it a fundemental at all...
    I dont think I did either but i know i have not felt comfortable putting for some time, getting alignment correct makes me feel much better.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Obviously a loaded question, so I shall go with yes, interested to here what you have to say. Obviously some people can aim incorrectly but still put well.
    Not loaded at all.. If all the good players all had close to the same setup and alignment then I would say "Yeah baby - that is the way." But they don't.

A lot of the better putters setup a little open, (seems to a trend of sorts) - some others setup closed to release the putterhead a bit more. Other Professioanls just butcher the process in the hope of being more consistant.

Personally - and I try to not teach a method for puttting as it is such a personal thing. The putter has to be square to the target point at impact - there should be some forward lean on most putters at impact and the ball shouldn't bounce along the ground off the face.

Apart from that... go nuts. Grip and Alignment just ain't that important for either putting, short game or long game IMHO.

Not saying you shouldn't fix or adjust... I just wouldn't try to improve a swing or stroke by adjusting same.

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Apart from that... go nuts. Grip and Alignment just ain't that important for either putting, short game or long game IMHO.

Not saying you shouldn't fix or adjust... I just wouldn't try to improve a swing or stroke by adjusting same.
    I think how you set up has everything to do with good strokes....short or long game. The key is to know WHY you are setting up that way. GREAT players don't set up JUST to aim. They set up for the entirety of the motion they intend to make.....with the target in mind.

Thread Information