Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Martinez19696

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Marty, will you be videoing us?
    Chances are good. He's used a video camera in every lesson I've had from him.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

I will be there at 8. I will use video...but not with huge amounts of precision....that's not my go. However, I would encourage anyone that wants to, to bring their own camera if they want to film stuff that they can watch back later. Tends to help with retention. Only thing I ask is that you make any footage you shoot available to me, so that I can send it to my clients OS if needed.

Should be a good day.

Really enjoyed the day guys....Cheers!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by martinez View Post
    Really enjoyed the day guys....Cheers!
    Thanks for the day Martin. It was extremely enlightening, very enjoyable, and great value for money. I had a ball, hopefully learnt a lot that I will retain, and will give me heaps to work on.

Glad you enjoyed the day Dave, and that you have plenty of things that inspire you to keep improving with your golf. I was really impressed with the way you grasped the concepts I put to you today.
    Cheers
    Martin

Double post..
    Last edited by martinez; 23rd January 2011 at 06:51 AM.

Martin thanks for the day, I learnt a lot and I can't wait to work on it over the next few weeks. Also thanks for your paitience with us slappers. Good luck with your star pupil this year.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Everything that i got out of it was good, i really like the feeling at address and impact that i am getting out of this. Though I missed a bit cos I cant pay attention to anything for more than about 15 seconds, but i always knew that would happen. I am very happy that my part time coach Doug was there, and he lapped it all up and soaked it in. He can pass it all on to me again later in short chunks, as well as by keeping an eye on the videos.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thanks for the day Marty, was awesome value for the info we got.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

I played 18 this afternoon and managed to beat the hcp by a couple of shots. It was a bit of a struggle trying to keep to my old swing mechanics and routine, the odd bit of Saturday's learnings tended to keep creeping in! Hardly mishit a ball all day, direction was my main issue. The interesting part was my putting. I incorporated the pull inside to my stroke and putted as well as I have for quite a while. Felt very confident with the stroke.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I played 18 this afternoon and managed to beat the hcp by a couple of shots. It was a bit of a struggle trying to keep to my old swing mechanics and routine, the odd bit of Saturday's learnings tended to keep creeping in! Hardly mishit a ball all day, direction was my main issue. The interesting part was my putting. I incorporated the pull inside to my stroke and putted as well as I have for quite a while. Felt very confident with the stroke.
    Good to hear Daves. If it was anything like my first lesson, it just makes sense hey?

Quote Originally Posted by timah! View Post
    Good to hear Daves. If it was anything like my first lesson, it just makes sense hey?
    Sure does!

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I look forward to following your progress with it over the next few weeks on here.

Not sure if its taboo to be posting content from another forum but this is really good stuff, a great insight, Elk and his mate practicing before the Hope. You can see Elk is really workin on the method.

http://www.secretinthedirt.com/index...nta-cc-part-1q

http://www.secretinthedirt.com/index...getting-readyq

http://www.secretinthedirt.com/index...d-test-part-1q

http://www.secretinthedirt.com/index...2q-episode-313
    Last edited by gazgolf1; 29th January 2011 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    Not sure if its taboo to be posting content from another forum but this is really good stuff, a great insight, Elk and his mate practicing before the Hope. You can see Elk is really workin on the method.

http://www.secretinthedirt.com/index...nta-cc-part-1q

http://www.secretinthedirt.com/index...getting-readyq
    Good stuff Gaz! You need to be logged in to see the vids though I think.

Well imo, you guys should set up an ozgolf.net group on there. All it is...is a growing content of Golf entertainment and education as well as a social network. No reason you would lose out by having a small presence on there. There is a growing number of Aussies on there for example that probably haven't heard of this website. If I hadn't met Iain on WRX I would never have known of this site either.

Marty, I pretty sure you touched on the subject of left wrist supination , I was just looking at p.102 of "Five Lessons - The Modern Fundamentals of Golf". So here I am swinging a golf club around in the loungeroom (the cook is not home, obviously), and looking at how this might happen.

I'm struggling here. For the life of me I can only see that causing the clubface to be seriously hooded at impact. Or when I tried to adjust the plane of the clubhead the almighty crack in my left wrist at it 'supinated' reminded me i have never done that before! (Please dont mention the flip word.... I know)

Any videos you have that touch on this ?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I don't have any videos that touch on this Mark.....well not on 'supinating' the left wrist. You'll note in "The good book" Hogan says "The left wrist begins to supinate"....he does not say "You begin to supinate the left wrist" an important distinction as he was very literal.

My advice on that would be to try some slow motion swings...with the ever present stick on the plane line. Come into the impact zone with the face aiming way right as I demonstrated with the short game session. Now, without any effort to square the face allow the sole of the club to roll down toward the ground all the while maintaining the face aiming to the right...and the clubhead trailing the hands.

What happens?

Senior Member Major Winner

"The good book" Hogan says "The left wrist begins to supinate"....he does not say "You begin to supinate the left wrist" an important distinction as he was very literal.
    How good is that !!!

From someone who has been reading this thread - it is brilliant to read so many people get some direction in their golf from communication and events brought about by this forum.

I don't have any videos that touch on this Mark.....
    I found one by going to your Youtube page on my phone at lunchtime, under the related videos section of "clinic part 1", seems to show quite simply how to discover the feel of doing so.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8nXn34yUU
    he does not say "You begin to supinate the left wrist"
    am with you there, I am a Disciple of the Doug, who has always preached that any deliberate action in the downswing must be a fault correction. I usually work (try) only on my backswing, the rest should be automatic.

My advice on that would be to try some slow motion swings...with the ever present stick on the plane line. Come into the impact zone with the face aiming way right as I demonstrated with the short game session.
    That aspect of the short game lesson was exactly what I was thinking already. Then i was also watching another video of yours on my phone, where you replayed the same swing at slower speeds, down to 1/20. I cant find it now, but the view of the backswing from behind really highlighted to me what i would prefer to do, - like the back of the riht hand slides flat along the swing plane and not at right angles like i do (shut). It seems to be much easier for the supination to happen to me, if the left wrist is flat or cupped at the top, rather than shut. (though logically it can be done from shut as well)
    What happens?
    left wrist cracking again! Got it. Will practice some tomorrow.....
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 29th January 2011 at 12:17 AM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

I would just like to say that while I felt I was close to teaching the right stuff to people not through lack of trying, Marty's stuff is light years of where I am as a teacher and a player. It was a privilege to attend the day with him. Lap it up now because he might not be around for us ordinary folk in Australia which has killed off many a promising coach if they don't go overseas.
    I believe the average golfer can shoot in the 70s playing the type of shots a fine golfer plays. - Ben Hogan

Sounds good Mark.

Thanks for those kind words Doug.

DK, you better sign on as an apprentice before he becomes too exclusive!
    --
    Handy-Cap

Just posted part 2 of "Speed Test" in post 214.

Sounds good Mark
    Worked.

In my usual warmup before the round, I simply applied the technique in the short game lesson to full shots, the difference was significant. Was taking good wide divots, and most of the time a nice draw, let a few squirt out to the right with a cut.

On the course was pretty good, and only let two go right which surprised me, and they were only short irons. Hit mostly 3W all day because of the wind, and got significant distance out of it, even from mishits. Hit a couple of drivers and nailed them, can really feel like i have flattened more of the ball on the clubface, if that make sense.

The only regret is, last saturday you didnt teach us how to putt- i had a shocker.

I'll have to get back to the range though and practice this more seriously, as i was only focussing on the one thing, I could feel other parts i want to work on slipping away.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information