Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Martinez19696

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

I was assuming it was something different otherwise why wouldn't we be calling in Hogans stance?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Hogan only stood open with the short irons. Where are you blokes getting this stuff from?
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Stand up. Turn your left foot as far as possible to the left (facing the target.). Now turn your right the same way.

I supergoaled Tapatalk.
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    Hogan only stood open with the short irons. Where are you blokes getting this stuff from?
    Who's saying different? People are just saying the feet are turned/open. Not that the stance line is open for all clubs?

I don't consider that hogan is open or closed with his stance (regardless of club), his feet are square to the target.
    ie, he moves his back foot forward or backwards relative to the front foot, he does not turn it.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by timah! View Post
    Stand up. Turn your left foot as far as possible to the left (facing the target.). Now turn your right the same way.

I supergoaled Tapatalk.
    I have never met Martin so I have never had a lesson or anything, but based on his movie I thought this was just a drill to shock the system, does he promote this when playing as well, i thought once the system was shocked you returned to a relatively normal stance with left foot turned out.

I stand like this.

Should I be standing like this as part of Martins whole concept?

I went out todays after some of the things mentioned earlier and will share some of my thoughts after
    Ping ANSER 10.5 - GD ADDI 6S | Ping G25 - 15 - GD ADDI 7S | Ping G25 - 20 - Nunchuk| Mizuno JPX825 PRO - PXI 6.0 | Mizuno MPT-11 - 52/56/60 | Taylormade Spider Blade

top photo is correct.
    Bottom photo is a drill that you can use to set your intent at the target, but you turn both feet so that they are pointing at the target or as close as you can.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Who's saying different? People are just saying the feet are turned/open. Not that the stance line is open for all clubs?
    Well what is this - "Hips as far 'open' as possible, feet as far 'open' as possible, shoulders square to target...

It's pre-setting resistance."
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

What I am doing in regards to Martins stuff.

Left foot turned out about 45 degrees = runners stance
    body / legs / chest turned say 45 degrees forward = intent and resistance
    More up right stance / ball closer = Swinging more in and up

Is this a good start in regards to Martins swing and is the above correct? if so I found I was hooking the ball and needed to weaken my grip, after weakening my grip I started to get a pretty straight ball flight but the contact was very nice on the irons, the driver still had a nice draw to it though which is good.

What were some of the changes that you needed to make in regards to grip and so on to make martins swing work?
    Ping ANSER 10.5 - GD ADDI 6S | Ping G25 - 15 - GD ADDI 7S | Ping G25 - 20 - Nunchuk| Mizuno JPX825 PRO - PXI 6.0 | Mizuno MPT-11 - 52/56/60 | Taylormade Spider Blade

Bro
    This stance thing you are worrying about doesn't really apply to you. The issue you have is you already stand open to the target even your shoulders are open. This is the reason why sometimes you draw , and other times you push. You have managed to learn a swing where the weight never makes it to your right side. The reason for this is because you haven't developed a full 90* shoulder turn without making a serious tilt to the left. That is just your swing at the present time.

Well what is this - "Hips as far 'open' as possible, feet as far 'open' as possible, shoulders square to target...

It's pre-setting resistance."
    Timah meant turned rather than open. Which he confirmed with Brokar.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokar
    Feet as far open as possible? you dont mean like left foot back type of open do you? like setting up for a fade?you mean the left foot turned out?
    Quote Originally Posted by timah
    'turned out' would be a better phrase, yes
    Last edited by Iain; 6th June 2011 at 07:07 PM.

and what does that do Iain?

It helps get your intent to in front of the ball.

and what about the target?

Yep, that's right. To the target. All of the intent is forward, to the target, nothing back.

Bro
    This stance thing you are worrying about doesn't really apply to you. The issue you have is you already stand open to the target even your shoulders are open. This is the reason why sometimes you draw , and other times you push. You have managed to learn a swing where the weight never makes it to your right side. The reason for this is because you haven't developed a full 90* shoulder turn without making a serious tilt to the left. That is just your swing at the present time.
    Thats because I keep going between my swing and Martins setup, today my main focus was the above with keeping my wait even and off the left side which has been an issue for me

well good luck with it.
    Last edited by razaar; 6th June 2011 at 08:01 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Geez,

You guys managed to butcher that with Chinese whispers didn't you ??

Let's lose all the whizz bang stuff and bring it back a bit, shall we...

Step 1. Hogans stance as per the 5 lessons. Inside of the right foot perpendicular to the target line and the right foot toed out 20 degrees or so. The heels of both feet are parallel to the target line. They are not open !

Leave your hips alone. Don't force them open. Just let them be... When you stand vertical and relax, your hips will naturally point to the left 10 to 15 degrees as well

Now square your shoulders to the target line... Done and dusted, setup as per hogans five lessons.

Martys drill is a simple addition to that and it is a DRILL, it is nothing but a DRILL. What you do it point the right foot in the same amount as the left foot and hit a few balls. Again the stance is not open, the hips are not forced open, it is all just a result of the feet both being turned out.

An addition to this drill is to turn the feet out a little more and hit some shots... Up to you.

They are reasons for the drill and if you have purchased his video, I am more than happy to explain it to you. PM me an email and I will send it through. Resistance is part of it, but the other reason that he may or may not have explained to you has to do with spacial awareness and the power move, it is very, very cool.

This bit is very simple and very powerful. And after reading the 5 lessons again last week, more things in that book make sense. Especially the bit about "inside muscles"

Life is good.

Seems like you have worked it out Virge, good for you. After all the stuff that was flying around on the ISG forum about Marty's videos, I decided to spent time working it out as it relates to me. As mentioned previously I had the advantage of Abe Mitchell's books as well as "Bobby Jones on Golf" and "Bobby Locke on Golf". Without these publications I would never in a million years been able to understand and feel the benefits of this swing method. IMO is is not a swing that can be taught to beginners and it is certainly not a swing for people with limited shoulder flexibility.
    On Sunday I was hitting one arm pitches (right arm) to a target on our practice range. One of our pros Paul Arnott (Tom's dad) wandered over to see what I was doing and how I was doing it. After I explained the method and principles behind it, he asked me to hit a few shots with both hands on the club. His comment was - "everything is perfectly square". That is only one of the benefits, another is it locks everything in place every time, as if you are swinging back in a jig. Another benefit has the right arm working in the perfect position as it straightens. I was never able to understand how Ben Hogan achieved his straight right arm into the follow through...I fully understand it now. I am convinced that this is what Tiger is working on at present. It is an entirely different release than his previous swings. I can see the same thing in Mat Kucher's swing also.
    Funny how things workout...if it hadn't been for Martin and the shit thrown I would never have looked at this method.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

We should perhaps start a separate thread for Abe Mitchell stuff, though it does relate strongly to Marty's stuff. I had not really looked in depth at any Abe Mitchell till now. Last night I watched a series of vids that Elk And Mike Maves had done about Abe's swing and technique a while ago on SITD. Wow! how good is it! I am still a bit unsure on the legs loading/twisting method, but boy does the forearm twists add power and accuracy! I tried it at the range this evening and they were just coming out pure, straight and long. At least a club longer it seemed to me!

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Looking to do another clinic and gauging interest. Same deal as before if I can get sufficient numbers I will keep the cost as low as possible for the individual.
    Cheers
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by martinez View Post
    Looking to do another clinic and gauging interest. Same deal as before if I can get sufficient numbers I will keep the cost as low as possible for the individual.
    Cheers
    Martin
    Hi Martin,

hope you are well. I am a keen starter subject to a final date being locked in. I am usually OK for any day of the week, but suspect that a weekend day is going to suit the majority.

1. Daves

1. Daves
    2. Iain

Maybe this should have it's own thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    We should perhaps start a separate thread for Abe Mitchell stuff, though it does relate strongly to Marty's stuff. I had not really looked in depth at any Abe Mitchell till now. Last night I watched a series of vids that Elk And Mike Maves had done about Abe's swing and technique a while ago on SITD. Wow! how good is it! I am still a bit unsure on the legs loading/twisting method, but boy does the forearm twists add power and accuracy! I tried it at the range this evening and they were just coming out pure, straight and long. At least a club longer it seemed to me!
    Dave
    Something you should know about Abe Mitchell's swing is that his follow through finished at hip high and well to the left. His action through the impact zone had the back of an abducted left left wrist coming into the ball from the inside and he would flick the back of the left hand through the ball. Golf swing analyists of his time referred to his swing as a punch action.

Dave
    Something you should know about Abe Mitchell's swing is that his follow through finished at hip high and well to the left. His action through the impact zone had the back of an abducted left left wrist coming into the ball from the inside and he would flick the back of the left hand through the ball. Golf swing analyists of his time referred to his swing as a punch action.
    Hi Ray,

I sort of got the jist of the abbreviated low follow through from one of your posts and watching some footage of Abe. I have not done a lot with it yet, but my small amount of trial of it tells me it is a very powerful action that helps clean contact, but it needs strength and practice to maintain and aim.

Thread Information