Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Martinez19696

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    Dave
    The issue with the negative shaft lean is there is no takeaway. It would be easy to get out of alignment without a takeaway, than it would be by starting off from the ball position and reaching this point by the method Mitchell describes. He could do the same thing with the club shaft in the horizonal position and achieve the same straight shot. There are two reasons for taking a back-swing - to start the swing action off in the alignment a player establishes at address and to remove slack for the downswing. The latter is done in the final stages of the back-swing.
    I am not quite sure what you mean by "there is no takeaway"? are you referring to the vid I put up, or one of Martin's? Having converted your Mitchell quote to "lefty" speak, I would say my takeaway feeling resembles his broom sweeping motion description. I tend to/like to drag the club head back whilst kick starting my rotation via my left shoulder blade moving behind me and my right shoulder dipping. There are some photos of Mitchell's swing on the web that to me show negative lean in the takeaway.

http://chestofbooks.com/sports/golf/...Continued.html

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

The vid. with the negative lean Brokar commented on. George Duncan, another great player in the 1930's referred to this takeaway, as a press of the left wrist as against the wrist of the right hand. Bobby Jones did the same action but started with the right hip to activate the body, arms and hands first before the clubhead to guard against picking the club up at takeaway.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

The vid. with the negative lean Brokar commented on. George Duncan, another great player in the 1930's referred to this takeaway, as a press of the left wrist as against the wrist of the right hand. Bobby Jones did the same action but started with the right hip to activate the body, arms and hands first before the clubhead to guard against picking the club up at takeaway.
    Thanks Ray. I had noted Bobby Jones appeared to have used the same starting action. I started using a negative lean quite a while ago in the search for a more consistent start to my swing, and one that let me hit straight through the ball or slightly inside out. I found it helped a lot and I started to develop good distance control, but I was at times inconsistent. Martin helped me better understand the mechanics and with practice I am getting consistent ball contact. The runner stance is also an important element for me.
    Last edited by Daves; 30th May 2011 at 09:05 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

The runner's stance is an important element for everybody. It promotes the toe, heel action which is a power move. Back on to the right heel with a flexed right knee and the ball of the left foot staying firmly on the ground, then back into the left heel pulling the right heel off the ground. There is no rolling of the feet which is great for the hips, back and balance.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Senior Member Major Winner

The runner's stance is an important element for everybody. It promotes the toe, heel action which is a power move. Back on to the right heel with a flexed right knee and the ball of the left foot staying firmly on the ground, then back into the left heel pulling the right heel off the ground. There is no rolling of the feet which is great for the hips, back and balance.
    The thing I like about the runners stance is that the effect is instantaneous.

You can give it to a 30 marker and he/she will instantly improve... even my 5 year finds hitting the ball easier this way. A couple of young ones have in fact done it this way intuitively.

You can do this without the LCT and still hit it better...

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

i went and played 4 holes late this afternoon which was like a range session, i would hit 1-3 drives then hit 4 balls in to the green from where each drive landed, i do this quite a but to play different shots in, I decided to try the negative +++ but with a takeaway move and not starting negative, I only was doing it very slightly and allowing the club to swing freely and the results I have to say were absolutely awesome!! I would say 3 in 4 were landing on the green on average depending on how far out i was.

What I did notice thought was a distance pickup in the irons to 9 iron up to around $130-135 carry, which is a club length longer for me, it was feeling rather odd but I am going to try this and see how we go, I only tried it on one hole with the driver though as it just felt odd, i hit 3 balls off the tee and pushed them all right with this method, in saying that they were all within 5-10 metres of each other just in the right rough.
    Ping ANSER 10.5 - GD ADDI 6S | Ping G25 - 15 - GD ADDI 7S | Ping G25 - 20 - Nunchuk| Mizuno JPX825 PRO - PXI 6.0 | Mizuno MPT-11 - 52/56/60 | Taylormade Spider Blade

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

I am having problems with Martin's swing method.

I can't find my hook or block and I am hitting the ball too far with my irons so I am having downhill 40 footers.
    I believe the average golfer can shoot in the 70s playing the type of shots a fine golfer plays. - Ben Hogan

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

So you do have a sense of humour!
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by dougkpga View Post
    I am having problems with Martin's swing method.

I can't find my hook or block and I am hitting the ball too far with my irons so I am having downhill 40 footers.
    That would really shit me too...

The big change for me is that the low left shot is gone. I can still block the ball a mile right. But I cannot get it to go left

For a low marker. Losing the left shot is rather important.

I'll admit that I have not 'got it' but I do not hook as much any more. However the significant impact on my game has been the ability to hit shots out of the rough, both long and short game, and really low shots out of the trees, just by using a similar technique to the pitching method, ie coming into the ball with a very open face. My tendency in the past was always to hit low shots too high, or cold top them, to the point where they just frightened me. I hit a shot on saddie, that was in rough that covered the ball, had 150 and going under a tree, and i just flushed it. Not in inch of right to left, and maybe about 6ft high it did not even feel like the rough grabbed hold of the club at all. I simply cant remember ever being able to play that shot, and I played about 3 others out of thick rough and all were awesome, one went too far
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I should prefice this by saying I have spent very little time on the so called "move". I have focussed on the basics that Marty showed us at the clinic; runners stance, parallax aiming error, negative shaft lean etc.

My ball striking has improved immensely, my distance control is now a feature. I seem to hit my shots hole high a lot more now. My aiming and alignment are also much better, and at times very good. I played a round at my home course yesterday, the set up was Saturday's Monthly Medal pins and tees. I was 3 over after 2 holes due to a little bit of carelessness and lack of luck. I made the turn at 2 over and I was only 3 over with 3 holes to play. I ended up 8 over due to some poor shot choices and no luck, or a choke which ever you prefer! I managed 3 birdies, but should have had at least 3 or 4 more. The birdies came from hitting my approach shots to within 2 feet including a Hybrid from 180m!. I was inside 10 feet on at least 5 other holes!, if only I could putt as well! The Nunchuk helps a little because I am hitting more fairways in a round, but you still have to hit the approach shots!I am feeling the sensation of being the hammer thrower slinging the club to the target via the ball.

I hit one shot that ended up resulting in a double bogey but really pleased and surprised me because I hit the club much further than I have before. It was pitching wedge, off the centre of the fairway. I normally I hit this 105m on the dot, this one went at least 120m with a slight pull and flew the green. The swing and contact just felt so good and it definitely felt like a slinging action. I might be imagining things of course and may have just de-lofted the club, but it did feel like I have imagined the move would be like.

Now if I can keep it going and improve the putting and mental side!

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I should prefice this by saying I have spent very little time on the so called "move". I have focussed on the basics that Marty showed us at the clinic; runners stance, parallax aiming error, negative shaft lean etc.
    This IMHO is the ducks nuts with regards to Marty's stuff. Add to it balance and I reckon you have most of the secret. (Secret being a wanky word for "Basic Swing Motion")

The actual twirl on the downswing is absolutely useless to you unless you have these fundamentals down pat, as your body is facing the wrong direction and you cant "Dump" the power at the ball.

The Runners Stance is dead set gold. You feel like a retard, but if you play cricket... it makes perfect sense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    The Runners Stance is dead set gold. You feel like a retard, but if you play cricket... it makes perfect sense.
    This interests me.

This may seem like a strange question, but would you find that you stand closer to the ball with Martins method and a tad more upright?

I know this is dependent on how you were setup before but generally speaking
    Ping ANSER 10.5 - GD ADDI 6S | Ping G25 - 15 - GD ADDI 7S | Ping G25 - 20 - Nunchuk| Mizuno JPX825 PRO - PXI 6.0 | Mizuno MPT-11 - 52/56/60 | Taylormade Spider Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    This interests me.
    go and find Hogan's five lessons... look at how he sets up his feet... look familiar ???

Quote Originally Posted by BroKar View Post
    This may seem like a strange question, but would you find that you stand closer to the ball with Martins method and a tad more upright?

I know this is dependent on how you were setup before but generally speaking
    Your right - depends on where you start and whether your arse was stuck out or stuck under you...

The runners stance is awesome. Should have been called the "Most Powerful Stance in Golf" and more been done on it.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    The runners stance is awesome. Should have been called the "Most Powerful Stance in Golf" and more been done on it.
    It's one of those things that seems so obvious when you start doing it.... and you wonder why you never learned it before.

Blog Entries

Just so i don't have to dig through the whole thread, is it hips and feet pointing at the target and shoulders parallel to the line?

Blog Entries

Hips as far 'open' as possible, feet as far 'open' as possible, shoulders square to target...

It's pre-setting resistance...

Blog Entries

Ah I had it backwards.

Feet as far open as possible? you dont mean like left foot back type of open do you? like setting up for a fade?you mean the left foot turned out?

Blog Entries

'turned out' would be a better phrase, yes.

And both feet, not just the left.

Quote Originally Posted by timah! View Post
    'turned out' would be a better phrase, yes.

And both feet, not just the left.
    Really?? I never knew that one, will give that a crack this afternoon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BroKar View Post
    Really?? I never knew that one, will give that a crack this afternoon
    Like a track runners feet
    It's part of the 'intent' that Marty talks about. Your whole body is aiming at the target.

I supergoaled Tapatalk.
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Blog Entries

Or like this ?

Ball%20position.jpg

Ala Hogans teachings.