Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Considering joining club in Melbourne

Hi all, looking for some advice on clubs to join in Melbourne. I tend to play 2 times a week (would like to make it 3), with 1-2 times per week on the range mixed in. I've been thinking it may make more financial sense for me to join a club. I generally play on the weekend, but am getting out more early mornings on weekdays.

So far, I've considered, in general order of driving distance from me: Yarra Yarra, Spring Valley, Churchill-Waverley, Rosanna, Southern GC, Woodlands, Cardinia Beaconhills, Settler's Run, Gardiner's Run, Yering Meadows and Eastern GC.

Seems Yarra Yarra, Rosanna and Woodlands are pretty expensive for me ($10k+ joining fees, but I'm not 100% sure about that or their annual subscriptions). Rosanna seems nice, but its membership application process is a bit opaque, plus I'd really prefer to avoid the 'mudbelt' (assuming its regarded as part of the 'mudbelt'). I heard Woodlands' waiting list is really long. Churchill-Waverley has ugly powerlines going over it. Cardinia Beaconhills, Settler's Run and Gardiner's Run all seem nice, but a bit far at 45-60 mins drive for me. Heard Yering Meadows has a gun club next door, which is distracting. Recently heard bad things about Eastern GC's course design.

I know there are plenty of exclusive, expensive Sandbelt clubs I've left out, like Commonwealth, Metro, Capital, Victoria, RMGC, Huntingdale and Kingston Heath. I'm obviously just not sure about their actual fees (joining and annual), membership process and waiting lists.

This has kind of left me with Spring Valley and Southern GC, which seem to be decent 2nd/3rd tier Sandbelt courses reasonably close to me. I've heard their waiting lists are not that crushing.

Spring Valley's joining fee is $6000 and 7-day membership currently ranges from $4019 - $5024 p.a. I know from one of Spring Valley's annual reports that some of its land has recently been acquired by the local council, but planning maps show it won't likely affect the layout or holes (it seems the acquisition just partly cuts into a track of trees). It's been acquired as part of the council's redevelopment of the of the old adjacent rubbish tip as part of the Sandbelt Parkland project.

Southern GC's joining fee is apparently $2000 and 7-day membership ranges from $3055 - $3760 p.a. Unfortunately, their range is very short, so no driving allowed.

For me, I'd prioritise a club with good practice facilities and decent course conditions (doesn't have to be incredible).

What I'd like help with is understanding:
    (1) how people rate the above courses/facilities;
    (2) how people make the most of their memberships (beyond playing as regularly as possible);
    (3) how important club practice facilities to you are;
    (4) how important travel time to and from your club is to you;
    (5) if any of the things I've heard about the above clubs are wrong/misconceptions;
    (6) if I should consider any other clubs; and
    (7) anything else I should know or try to find out about clubs?

Cheers all.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Sandhurst

Senior Member Major Winner

Everything on your list is better than Woodlands. I wouldn't join if they paid me a $10k joining fee.

And Yering is fine, but also you need to factor in the screams of the sky divers along with the gun range.

Member Club Pro

What did Woodlands do to you?

Member Club Pro

Thats a wildly broad area of clubs you've got in your list. Trying to pick where you are based is tricky, maybe in the Glen Waverely area?

Come next month, your 5pm hit becomes non-existant and not long after the early morning game (pre-7am), but if you are living closer then you'll probably get a few more games in.

Mudbelt courses that have the yarra near by have been hit hard the last couple of years, usuaully they'd get hit once every 3-5 years, but its been like 3 in a row. Heidelberg is about the only one that doesn't
    go under when the big rains come.
    Regarding Yering, they've just engaged Clayts design team to redo it, it probably won't be a massive change, but a heap of shit bunkers will get taken out and should make it a bit less of a slog.
    Eastern recently had their massive club burn down and have had long term issues with thier drainage and irrigation. Its better then Yering & Garderners Run, but not in the league of say Spring Valley. Heritage appears to be bouncing back after years of mismanagement/neglect.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    Regarding Yering, they've just engaged Clayts design team to redo it
    That's a good enough reason to avoid it.

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    That's a good enough reason to avoid it.
    Opposite for me, only reason I would go back. Healsville is the best course in that region.

Where do you live - Yarra valley or the Yarra courses are a hike to the sand belt
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Sandhurst
    Sandhurst definitely looks good. I'm very attracted to the fact it's 36 holes. The annual fees are very similar to Spring Valley's, but its joining fee is about $3500 less, which is also a big plus. Seems to have decent practice facilities, too. No waiting list for the moment, either.

I'm based in the inner east, close to the Monash. I'd be coming down the Monash to get there, though. Depending on traffic, seems like it could be a 40 min to 1 hour journey. Admittedly, this isn't really much different from the travel times I've seen to get to Spring Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by spanner039 View Post
    Where do you live - Yarra valley or the Yarra courses are a hike to the sand belt
    I'm based in the inner east, so I think I'm looking at about 30 mins to nearly an hour, depending on traffic, to either of Spring Valley, Southern or Sandhurst. I saw there was an accident on the Monash today and that, according to Google, pushed out a hypothetical trip from my place to Sandhurst to 1hr 10mins :/

Wouldn't mind hearing advice from any regular Monash Fwy users on how they find driving it for an early tee time or an arvo tee time. I've managed to avoid it during peak times, except once when I drove to Waterford Valley after work for 9 holes.

I am a member at Cardinia Beaconhills. A lot of money has been spent in the last 5 years on paths and fairways. We have 27 holes of rolling hills to navigate, comps 5 days a week. The lakes 9 was couched 4 years ago and is mint, the front 9 was done last year and the back 9 will be done later this year. The greens are as good as some of the sandbelt courses for true roll and speed.
    And it's half the price of most of the other places with a great vibe and cold beer. No joining fee.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    What did Woodlands do to you?
    Wasted 2 days that could have been better spent in "the actual" sandbelt.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Everything on your list is better than Woodlands. I wouldn't join if they paid me a $10k joining fee.And Yering is fine, but also you need to factor in the screams of the sky divers along with the gun range.
    Dont listen to this dickhead.Yering is awful.Woodlands is sensational

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

I dont live in Melbourne any longer but i think i can offer as perspective...first thing is my understanding is that, like most everywhere else post COVID, its difficult to walk straight into a club these days in Melbourne. Therefore, amongst the other criteria you table, "accessibility right now" should be front & centre. That takes many of the clubs you mention (RM, KH, Vic etc) off your list.

Of the ones i believe meet much of your other ctiteria (DECENT (not GREAT) course, "good practice faCILITIES, NOT MUDBELT, "comp" availability, reasonable travel time from/to inner east Melbourne) i think you should shortlist Woodlands, Spring Valley and Southern. None are perfect but they are in front of the others that have been tabled. Huntingdale would be a punt on what comes out in 2 years time. If you can get into Yarra Yarra (i am sceptical) , jump at it. the course is awsome these days (my opinion) & the club is becoming "more cool".

These are my opinions, FWIW. Hope that helps.

I lived at Chirnside for 4 years (loved the area btw and would be happy to go back tomorrow!).

I was a member at Yering when I first went there as I got in for around the $900 mark, the place will teach you to hit a straight tee shot for sure. As mentioned earlier, they are having some redesign work which must help but hopefully they are doing drainage work at the same time as winter was shit there, worse then Eastern is despite what they say (floods aside). By all reports it is not a club environment by any means now though, the clubhouse does not open until 10 on weekends even then it is often late to open.

Eastern has problems, no clubhouse, an “issue” with the ex GM. By all reports, they can’t get the drainage right, but the green complexes in my opinion are the best in the area. My opinion is they need some new views on the board as they have had largely the same management since relocating. Although the above mentioned issue with the ex GM may accelerate some of them moving on if half the gossip is true.

Gardeners run, I could not play repeatedly as it would get boring, plus in that area why settle for just 18 holes when most others have 27-36.

RACV club in Healesville gets lots of wraps from the hardcore Archie fans, and I really enjoy it BUT condition suffers badly, it is basically a public course now so the condition is getting worse and a lot of people bemoan the lack of opportunity to hit driver. Of course that is rubbish, you CAN hit driver, you just shouldn’t!

The Heritage is bouncing back and IMO is now the best in that area (which is saturated with golf holes BTW) 2 courses that have had a lot of work sunk into them, but again not really a members club. Ball reports, the owner or GM doesn’t really care if he has a full membership and the rumours are the joining fee and annual subs will get jacked up shortly.

Dependent on where you live, Spring Valley would be my pick, and Woodlands close behind despite the view above…

My recommendations:

East - close to home course: Latrobe

Tier 2 Sandbelt: Spring Valley

Tier 1: Yarra Yarra.

If you can afford YY do it. The club has come such a long way since the female manager took over and the tree farm was removed and redesigned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Since many are recommending Yarra Yarra, does anyone have an idea of Yarra Yarra's joining fee, annual subscription fees and waiting list time? As I don't have a proposer and seconder, from what I read on their website, it appears I'd have to have a round with their Director of Golf. That seems... awfully daunting.

Regards YYGC,,,,,, Does the website not have a "How to join the club" page? Otherwise, i suggest calling the club & asking to speak with someone responsible for new membership applications. They can give you the info you require. The joining fee will be 10-15 and subs 5-6 PA, albeit you will go on a provisional (less than 7 day) membership to start. There is a waiting list of between 1 & 5 years depending upon who you talk to. These are all post-COVID numbers. Everything was easier and less before COVID.

Woodlands, SV & Southern will all be less than the above but you need to approach each club directly to get the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by mezzanotte View Post
    Since many are recommending Yarra Yarra, does anyone have an idea of Yarra Yarra's joining fee, annual subscription fees and waiting list time? As I don't have a proposer and seconder, from what I read on their website, it appears I'd have to have a round with their Director of Golf. That seems... awfully daunting.
    as Greg alluded to you need the nomination and seconder and probably know a couple of more members, last I contacted them pre COVID it was 15k+ and 5.5k subs + comp fees & house account.

I didn’t think it was worth it, if you were going to go through that all the top tier clubs come into play.

you need to love your golf to warrant it. Southern is great value, SV is the best course and keysborough has a long waiting list, woodlands is ok but harder to get to.

just join a club close to home.
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Of all the courses you have played so far in your life, which was your favorite? That might help decide which ones are best match.

Yarra Yarra or Spring Valley seem like good matches and you can check your price point, waiting period etc. YY is excellent since they thinned out about 1000 trees and improved the layout.
    Spring Valley is good honest golf. The stretch of holes along the tip fence are very high quality.
    Woodlands is a very good course, but the members seem to be the worst set of slow players in Australia. 5 hour rounds on regular weekends are common let alone medal days. I wonder if this has been due to a saturated time sheet most days.
    Don't join Eastern until they sort out the financial situation after the fire.
    Sandhurst is worth considering, good facilities sure and there are more than a few good holes to play (and a few dogs as well).

As for travel distance - I happily drove for an hour to get to The National. If whatever you choose is the right place then the travel won't matter too much.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by mezzanotte View Post
    Not daunting at all. Relax and just be yourself and not carry on like a dickhead or loser and you will be fine. Say hello to everyone you pass and you will be very surprised how welcoming ppl can be

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    As for travel distance - I happily drove for an hour to get to The National. If whatever you choose is the right place then the travel won't matter too much.
    Everyone is different, I couldn't conceive of driving an hour (presumably 2hr round trip) to play golf, even though I love The National.

After being around golf clubs for more years than I care to remember, I'm big on "club culture", if I had to move to Melbourne, I would be at Yarra Yarra

Make sure you check with them the booking conditions, member at Kew for 5 years now, can get a spot on Saturday or Sunday, membership is way over subscribed, not sure if other clubs are the same.

Just had a peak at the YY Instagram page, just put in a wood fired oven outside and offering hot bacon egg rolls for breakfast then pizza from 12 noon.

Currently accepting new members and it’s mentioned they pride themselves on being a welcoming club.

If you can afford this club you would be mad not to join it

Blog Entries

YY is a great choice. Recent reno so the club isn’t going to rip the course up.
    practice facilities is the obvious weak point but all else is good.
    If u can get in there without knowing anyone, that is the one to go for.

The courses better than it…RM, KH, PK, Vic require you to know people as they have extensive wait lists. KH’s waiting list is presently closed!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Thread Information