Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 44 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    They also rate the Australian, Nash Old, and Hamilton Island, so I didn't have a lot of faith in their ranking ability.
    In all fairness Kooyonga is a great site and has some great stretches of holes, my pick of the course is holes 6-8. I agree with Mac's statement (in an article earlier this year), #8 could be a world class golf hole with the trees and bushes cut out of the left hand side

I think the back nine in spots is a wasted opportunity; #16 has always been cumbersome with the trees encroaching and the back fence; #17 has that silly pond and #18 has been under the knife so many times now it just feels so un-natural with all the fake mounding on the RHS. I preferred the shorter hole Thommo did with the moon bunkers in the 90's

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
    Didn't they try this a number of times before?Chinese property investor acquires Wirrina Cove resort, with plans to lure Chinese golfers to the regionhttps://www.adelaidenow.com.au/busin...afffc107f64485
    Tried it at Paradise Palms i believe, getting chinese investors to buy property around the course.Chinese government wouldn't let cash out of china apparently

Didn't they try this a number of times before?

Chinese property investor acquires Wirrina Cove resort, with plans to lure Chinese golfers to the region

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/busin...afffc107f64485
    Has changed hands/names so many times I cannot keep up!

Believe a Malaysian company took it over at one point, but when the deadline came around to pay up no funds were forthcoming.

You were a member there for a while weren't you Chilled!?

Member Monthly medal winner

Hopefully the new owners can water the fairways more than they currently are, played there last summer and was dry and yellow apart from the greens.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
    Has changed hands/names so many times I cannot keep up!

Believe a Malaysian company took it over at one point, but when the deadline came around to pay up no funds were forthcoming.

You were a member there for a while weren't you Chilled!?
    Yeup, two maybe three years in the end : )

I really just don't think anything can be done with the place that hasn't already been attempted before, in some capacity or another. I feel they are wasting their time.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't want it to fail, the location is lovely, it's a nice relaxing place to stay, and the golf course is interesting enough.

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    I think the back nine in spots is a wasted opportunity; #16 has always been cumbersome with the trees encroaching and the back fence; #17 has that silly pond and #18 has been under the knife so many times now it just feels so un-natural with all the fake mounding on the RHS. I preferred the shorter hole Thommo did with the moon bunkers in the 90's
    First time I've ever heard 16 being described as "cumbersome". I really don't know what that means in terms of a golf hole. The netting is obviously a space restriction thing which cannot helped. Metro course huh, what can ya do. Abundant vegetation has been removed from the second shot right hand side of 16. The fairway is already generously proportioned so there needs to be some protection somewhere on the hole.

Strangely enough also, I've honestly never heard of any bad comments about the pond on 17. It's served as masterful protection for the green and has ruined many a good round. It more than serves it's purpose and breaks things up a little from all the bunkers.

In the entire time I've been there which is probably about 6 years I've not seen any changes to 18. Any major changes predate me so I can't really talk for that time period. I'm not sure of the fake mounding you're talking referring to on the RHS of 18.....it dips from the front right bunker to the practice green, and dips from the rear right of the green to a steady incline to the clubhouse. If you're going into those spots and not hitting the two RHS bunkers, you've either hit a very poor drive and going in with a longer club or your short game is woeful and you've missed the green from a short distance. It's relatively rare to see people over there. The dips are not really what most would consider as being in play really, people are generally short or they catch RHS bunkers.

First time I've ever heard 16 being described as "cumbersome". I really don't know what that means in terms of a golf hole. The netting is obviously a space restriction thing which cannot helped. Metro course huh, what can ya do. Abundant vegetation has been removed from the second shot right hand side of 16. The fairway is already generously proportioned so there needs to be some protection somewhere on the hole.

Strangely enough also, I've honestly never heard of any bad comments about the pond on 17. It's served as masterful protection for the green and has ruined many a good round. It more than serves it's purpose and breaks things up a little from all the bunkers.

In the entire time I've been there which is probably about 6 years I've not seen any changes to 18. Any major changes predate me so I can't really talk for that time period. I'm not sure of the fake mounding you're talking referring to on the RHS of 18.....it dips from the front right bunker to the practice green, and dips from the rear right of the green to a steady incline to the clubhouse. If you're going into those spots and not hitting the two RHS bunkers, you've either hit a very poor drive and going in with a longer club or your short game is woeful and you've missed the green from a short distance. It's relatively rare to see people over there. The dips are not really what most would consider as being in play really, people are generally short or they catch RHS bunkers.
    Cumbersome not really the right word, I now acknowledge that, it's probably more like cramped or squeezed into a corner (if we are using layman's terms) the Crafter clearing will help this but I reckon the hole would be better served with the hole positioned more towards the dunes on the RHS with all the trees cut down.

In terms of the mounding on #18 I refer to the little mounds that run alongside the pathway on the RHS.

Cumbersome not really the right word, I now acknowledge that, it's probably more like cramped or squeezed into a corner (if we are using layman's terms) the Crafter clearing will help this but I reckon the hole would be better served with the hole positioned more towards the dunes on the RHS with all the trees cut down.
    It can be a little claustrophobic. I've heard mention there are thoughts to do a redesign, whether this is true or not I don't know. Certainly nothing official as yet, that I know of.

In terms of the mounding on #18 I refer to the little mounds that run alongside the pathway on the RHS.
    Ahhhhhh right, ok , the moguls on the rhs of the drive. Probably put there to slow wayward balls, partly for safety because of the pathway next to it and also to keep the game flowing. Again, probably due in part because of a lack of space also.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    If RA isn't hilly enough, go the next best. Mt Compass.
    Sounds like the best track in Adelaide

Another visit to Mount Compass GC yesterday, was blowing a gale but played anyway as it was only a social outing.

Course sure is looking good now, all the work they are putting in to improving things is certainly showing. The greens tho, whilst still being super fast, have had some kind of coring done to them - not the usual 'round' holes but more like 3cm 'slits' everywhere. Did effect the roll of the ball but as said still very fast.

Living Choice have just announced they have engaged Neil Crafter to develop and implement a Master Plan at Flagstaff Hill to create 'the best course in the southern area'.

Living Choice will be having 'open house' in late February when the first villas on the ex-practice fairway are launched - Neil will be there. Living Choice is a builder and operator of large scale retirement villages.

I am not really sure what all of this means for Flagstaff - time will tell. However, it doesn't seem to be the same membership business model we have see in the past. I'll be interested in seeing how it evolves at Flagstaff, although I have little interest in a game there.

Benje

Senior Member Major Winner

I must go have a hit at Flaggy before they make any changes. I haven’t played it since they chopped up the old 13th and 14th and made the holes around the lake. My Uncle’s a member and keeps trying to get me over for a game.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Hatch - I remember the old, old 13 and 14.
    13 was a beast of a par 4, and 14 was 600 yards into the prevailing westerley (11 was a par 3, 7 a long par 3 to a low lying green, no 'loch hillan' then).
    Flagstaff was 6 par 5's, 6 par 4's and 6 par 3's originally.

Who's played The Dunes in Port Hughes? Is it worth the drive over? I was considering heading over for a night or 2 to play.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Who's played The Dunes in Port Hughes? Is it worth the drive over? I was considering heading over for a night or 2 to play.
    The Dunes is worth a hit, the layout is a typical Greg Norman style, big bunkers, big greens, lots of heroic shots etc.

They only managed to get 9 holes up so they have two flags on each green. I would love to see the course completed. It might not be in the top 10 in SA but at least it gives the Yorke Penninsula a decent level course (with proper greens) to be a member of

terrific 9 holes.

The soil is quite clayish,so the edges of fairway/rough is tyically firm in summer.

Some quirk - the stobie poles on 1 and 8 are 'memorable'.

Yep, travelled over there a few years back with Highballin - was in good nick and worth the trip (we did it as a day trip, setting off at around 4am from memory )

As Benje mentions, there's a couple of stobie poles that you'll come away remembering!

Nice. Sounds like it might be worth a trip. Anyone keen?
    WITB

Couple of us played the open there a few years back.

I'd probably be up for a hit again sometime.
    Last edited by wazamac; 29th January 2019 at 08:13 AM.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Nice. Sounds like it might be worth a trip. Anyone keen?
    When? You driving!?

I'll take the Stagea if you want 😀
    WITB

I'll take the Stagea if you want 
    I'd be up for that!

There used to be a couple of Ozgolf SA members up that way but have not seen them pop up for ages!? (Daggs and Kunkie)

I'd be up for that! There used to be a couple of Ozgolf SA members up that way but have not seen them pop up for ages!? (Daggs and Kunkie)
    Only $200 each for fuel
    WITB

Only $200 each for fuel
    Might as well play RAGC - twice!

Approx a 400km round trip.

Might as well play RAGC - twice!Approx a 400km round trip.
    Easy 1 tank with some to spare.
    WITB

Thread Information