Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1105
    Senior Member Major Winner

Got back from a quick 3 day Adelaide jaunt, where played 6 rounds in 3days. Here are some quick thoughts on the courses we played.

Royal Adelaide
    A gem as always. Unfortunately the course was playing soft and damp, which detracted from the normal experience. Always get a chubb on 3 and 11, this time was no different.

Grange West
    Presented immaculately. No real outstanding holes, but no clangers either. Pro shop staff outrageously helpful. Very slow on the front 9, but managed to play the 18th in twilight.

Patawalonga
    For what it is, the course is interesting, and in decent enough nick. Clearly no one who plays here is interested in fixing pitch marks. Every green was pock marked. If you can get over the noise and smell of jet fuel, it's worth a visit

Grange East
    Also excellently presented. An interesting track that is better than I remembered it. Certainly helped by nice clusters of holes along the wetlands and some quality on the back 9. The Norman bunkering aesthetics could use some softening. The removal of trees and encroaching houses on the back 9 was a disappointment.

Glenelg
    Love playing here. Course was mint, and can already see many of the subtle changes being put in place here. Would happily be a member here. Members here were also very friendly and up for plenty of banter.

Kooyonga
    The best presented course on the trip. I thought it was over rated last time I was here, but lots of nice changes have been made to make me change my mind. The slowest round we had by a country mile, stuck behind a members 5 ball. Everyone was friendly, but it was made clear every other golf course in Adelaide is beneath them - the very strange elitist vibe was unfortunate.

My ranking for this trip:
    RA
    Glenelg
    Kooyonga
    Grange East
    Grange West
    Patawalonga
    Last edited by benno_r; 26th April 2022 at 10:54 AM.

benno_r

did you play RA on a public holiday recently?
    There was one day where some warmer weather was forecast and less staff were on. I was surprised at how the course was a bit softer on that particular day. It is a rare day when the greens are 'less firm'.

Benje

Quote Originally Posted by Benje View Post
    benno_r

did you play RA on a public holiday recently?
    There was one day where some warmer weather was forecast and less staff were on. I was surprised at how the course was a bit softer on that particular day. It is a rare day when the greens are 'less firm'.

Benje
    We played Friday last week. It certainly wasn't bad, but had a few approaches end up well short after "plugging" front fringe or green. Just took a bit of the normal firm and fast fun out of the day.

Also fixed more pitch marks in that day than all my other visits combined.
    Last edited by benno_r; 27th April 2022 at 06:05 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Played a few holes today, definitely more moisture in the ground than usual. A lot of fertilizer being spread to fairways also, don't know if this is connected
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

[QUOTE=marcel;1445896]Millicent - Nicely situated on rolling ground, mainly sandy soil.

Bunkers seem ok placed but many are of a fairly ordinary condition, no big surprise on a small town country course.

Is it possible to fix a bunker problem like this without spending heaps of coin?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

[QUOTE=Ferrins;1460134]
    Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    Millicent - Nicely situated on rolling ground, mainly sandy soil.

Bunkers seem ok placed but many are of a fairly ordinary condition, no big surprise on a small town country course.

Is it possible to fix a bunker problem like this without spending heaps of coin?
    Great course!!

Bunkers are $5-$10k to renovate as a budget.

Bunkers are a good feature if we’ll placed and maintained to a reasonable extent. For country courses that are not able to keep up with maintenance they are better off having long grass (grass bunker so to speak) in those positions. Often it’s more penal to play from long grass than a bunker.
    Waikerie is a good case in point. Not a single bunker on the course but plenty of long grassed areas sculpted around the greens.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Only available if subscribed.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
    Only available if subscribed.
    https://archive.ph/TVic2

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Wow, what's going on with the fairways at Royal Adelaide!? Poa everywhere.....shot taken last week:

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    Flavzz and myself are still members there, (tho god knows why as I've not played there this year!), and this development proposal certainly doesn't encourage renewing!

Flavzz and myself are still members there, (tho god knows why as I've not played there this year!), and this development proposal certainly doesn't encourage renewing!
    *Were members

Just a terrible short sighted decision.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    *Were members

Just a terrible short sighted decision.
    Still am for a few days! I've a good mind to go down to the clubhouse and shout the bar the amount left on my card!

Cant use the council land across the other side of Pat Road.
    Back when I was a member there, that was where the driving range was going to go but too expensive to build a tunnel under.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Still am for a few days! I've a good mind to go down to the clubhouse and shout the bar the amount left on my card!
    Decided to stay put for another year - only a Twilight member so not that much of an expense! Convenience was the winning factor (even if I have not been there once this year)

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Not sure if the Heaps Good thread is the place for this one... but it certainly wasn't bad - Stirling Golf Course.

Managed a round with a few work mates during the break, and it was actually in pretty good condition. Some of the greens were a bit 'burnt' around the edge, but all in all... very playable. The thing that got me was the sloping fairways. You really need to play to the correct side, or you're screwed. That made it very challenging considering my level of game (i.e. I can't really aim for anything in particular, just the 'general direction'). Some really strange looking tee shots that require a pretty confident shape, unless you go short of course.

Definitely a cart course... the hills would be a killer walking it!

I left my card in the cart, but with 3 lost balls I think I was in the high 90's. Good fun, but certainly tough.

Played the Pat last week and it's actually in pretty amazing condition. The usual issues of slow play are still a problem but the course is in excellent condition. Bargain golf at $30 for a midweek round when you pay online.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Had my first round at Mt Barker on Sunday, and Blackwood again yesterday. Perfect weather for it both days.

Mt Barker:
    Slight fog early at Mt Barker and a little soggy, but cleared up nicely as the round progressed. Unfortunately the greens had been cored recently, so a little bumpy and still quite sandy. Having them wet to begin with made putting really hard to read (extremely slow). As far as the rest of the course goes, pretty good condition. Fairways were pretty mint in most places, not that I spent a lot of time on them! I found it quite challenging. There are quite a few holes that make you question a few different clubs, which I don't have the game for. That questioning no doubt impacted my final shot. You're either going shorter to make a certain distance to a corner, or you're shaping a longer drive (which I just can't do at this point). The mate I was playing with up was a ~8 HC'er junior member back in the day, so his course management was game changer.

I'd definitely play again, and think I'd enjoy it more knowing the course. It did help that the course was pretty empty all day... assuming everyone was at the 12th hole at LIV!

Blackwood:
    What can I say... love this course. Not a breathe of wind all day and the course was immaculate as always. Having played it a few times now I definitely had a better day than Sunday at Mt Barker. Still had the usual chunk and water ball, but that's just my level of game. The more I play it the more I see two different courses from front 9 to back 9. Not as drastic as Links Lady Bay, but still quite a separation. I'd happily play there at any opportunity.

DMG

Blackwood is two different courses front 9 vs back 9.
    Well, 10 to 14 are different to 1-9 and 15-18.

In 1991, the course was extended into the south paddock.
    For example, the 10th hole is built on what was the 13th, 14th and 15h holes.
    The current 14th par 3 is about 40% of what was the 11th, a par 5 that ran over the hill with a green where 11 tee is now.
    11 green (a great skyline green), 12 and 13 are all on the newer land acquired in the 1980's (I think).
    Tony Cashmore did the design, and the club built the new holes. Same time as McCracken was built. You might feel a little similarity with some bunker shapes and green features on 10-14 with McCracken, moreso than the rest of Blackwood.

The rest of Blackwood's greens were (generally) rebuilt by Murray Crafter (some cracking greens) with 9 built by Neil Crafter (who was involved with Brian Crafter when 15 was rebuilt in the 1980's). Not sure who 'designed' 6, and 3 hasn't really changed since it was first built in 1960. 17 also hasn't really changed but is a good green.

Prior to 1991, the back nine was as 'tight' (compact) a layout as the front nine. Lots of doglegs required to fit holes into the parcel of land, and to get around the large valley now occupied by the dams on 15. Amazingly, the course was constructed by the members. Literally. Working bees for a couple of years.

Benje

Awesome info Benje, thanks!

Default SA 'heaps good' Course thread

DMG: Benje has a course plan (document) with all the details albeit containing suspicious stains caused by a rogue glass of beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by thecollective; 27th April 2023 at 02:22 PM.

Yes, I have a course plan. The first hole of that plan was implemented (by some 'kid' called Michael Cocking - I thought he was excellent then (as did Mac). A lot more people think so as well now).
    Some of the Plan concepts have been embraced, others have been forgotten.

I don't think I need therapy now - that was 17 to 18 years ago.

The amazing thing is we only spent $300k in 1991 building 5 Cashmore holes. That could be a record low.

Benje

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Any SAnkers know anything about this?

"In full swing: $2 million golf course upgrade taking shape

An expansion that will see the Murray Bridge Golf Club turn into a pro championship course is in full swing, with the work set to transform it into one of SA’s premier regional golf facilities."

The rest of the story is behind a paywall on the Murdoch rag.

Default SA 'heaps good' Course thread

This is exciting to hear, MB has some great land, so chop down those trees plant couch (instead of kike) and expose more of the Sandy soil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by thecollective; 16th May 2023 at 01:43 PM.

Thread Information