Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Default Magenta Shores Golf - Quick Review

I've recently joined up at Magenta Shores Golf Club here on the Central Coast. Really enjoying it so far, even if i havent broken 30 points yet!

Here is a quick review of the course and some photos from todays practice round. Only from my phone so they arent great but it'll give you an idea none the less!

Now the one thing with the course is the direction of the wind is king! Today it was a south-westerly which makes the long holes longer and the shorter holes shorter. The better (not always better) wind is the northerly which changes things up and the course plays easier in general.

1st hole today was brutal. Smashed driver and 5 iron from 140m and was still short. Key is to be short left of the green if you miss.

2nd hole tee shot is blind. Big fairway bunker in the middle. Dont have any other photos sorry. But its a long one into the wind!

3rd downwind plays easy if you drive the ball well. Today was 3 wood / SW. Into the wind it plays monster.

4th is a great par 3 which has a long green and you dont get any help left or right. Wind is hard to judge as it is in a bowl.

5th is a short par 4 dominated by the direction of the wind. Today i hit the front edge with 3 wood. But into the wind its 3 wood / 9 iron or more.

6th is a great short par 4. 3 hybrid to the front edge downwind. But usually its a 3 hybrid and a SW. Green is nasty in places and left is dead.

7th is a tough par 3 due to large bunkers, a collection area to the right and a tough green. Luckily hit a good 52 into it today.

8th is a short Par 5 downhill and today downwind. Really tough 2nd shot regardless of distance. Best angle is from the far left shooting back up
    the green.

9th is LONG. Into the wind today i hit driver / hybrid and still was 60-70m short. Rated #1. Crazy green. Walk off with 5 and you have done well.

10th is another short par 5. 2nd shot is very much risk / reward. Not a massive landing area to get the ball on. Back left pin is tough and long right is dead.

11th is a nice short par 4 which you can go at or lay back. Again the wind makes this hole very short or very long. Tough green at the front left.

12th is a great par 3, where the bunkers are being reworked. The rest of the course may follow this. Plays anything from a 9 iron to a 4 iron at the same 150m distance. I recently hit a 4 iron 135m and was still short here.

13th is a short strategic par 4. Layup to the top of the hill with a 6 iron and have 120-100m in, or hit over the hill to have 60m off a very tight lie. Have the be right of the tree from the tee.

14th is a testing par 4 which can play short or very long. Hit up to the hill and over and you have 9 iron, roll back down you have 4 iron. Tough to get a good line from the tee due to a drop off to the left of the fairway.

15th is a short par 3 which a lot of stuff protecting it. Bunkers and collection areas at the front, and over the back is gone.

16th is a tough driving hole, long back into the wind. OB left, and right. Can be driver - 4 iron or driver - 9 iron. Again its the wind.

17th is a dogleg left. Tough to drive the ball well here. Approach cannot be right. falls about 6-8ft down and when quick, will roll off the green down there. Left bunker is also tough as the green slopes away from you to the front pins.

18th is a long par 5. Driver - Driver - hybrid is good into the wind here. A true 3 shotter even downwind. The fairway bunkers in the middle really make you go over them or lay up. Tough green as well. Even when you are on the surface 2 putting is a good effort, especially from the left hand side when the pin is on the right.

Senior Member Major Winner

Great track! The closing 3 holes would be one of the most brutal closing stretches I have played, especially into the wind!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Thanks for pics/review Matt. Been meaning to get up and play Magenta for a while. Always good when your home track is intriguing.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Just let me know (anyone) a date, happy to host. Saturday / Sunday / Wednesday are comp days.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Good revue Maxis, look forward to the invite!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

sounds like an ozgolf day out is on the cards!

Haven't played there in years and would love to have another crack..........................at breaking a 100 that is

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Just let me know (anyone) a date, happy to host. Saturday / Sunday / Wednesday are comp days.
    I'll be keen on sometime in September that suits u.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Looks good M3J - I'm looking at doing a couple of day trips to finish off the year to get my total to 20 courses in 2016 - Cabra looks an option, and maybe Magenta.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spud View Post
    Looks good M3J - I'm looking at doing a couple of day trips to finish off the year to get my total to 20 courses in 2016 - Cabra looks an option, and maybe Magenta.
    Anytime you are up here mate let me know! Always welcome.

Whats up with the fairways?

Banned

Great stuff Matt. Love Magenta. Was playing with the Northerly when I was there in October 2015 so played 16, 17 and 18 downwind. Wouldn't want to be playing them into the wind!

I was going to ask the same question as BITS. Fairway turf looks very thin compared to when I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    I'd suggest they have gone dormant in winter?

You should see Federal right now - the fairways are almost white in their dormancy.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Anytime you are up here mate let me know! Always welcome.
    Thanks mate, the wife is travelling for work a hell of a lot at the moment, so I am owed a few days of domestic flex!

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    That's what's called pristine fairways, Great combination of fantastic lies and bulk run!

Tight lies!! And lots of run.

And yes dormant I would guess

Member Teaching Pro

nice place to play good golf. would be brutal in strong wind and if you are off your game

Nice write-up, Matt.

Played Magenta a few times a number of years ago... definitely a solid golf course, and brutal winds both days I teed it up.

Thanks for the write-up Matt. I'll be playing there in October for an organised social comp; will be studying your review before I go. Cheers.

Kk, M3J's review prompted me to drive up the coast and take another tilt at Magenta.

Managed to catch in on a still day, but even without the wind it's a very, very tough golf course.

Some epic holes out there: 2, 4, 9 and 18, are the standouts for me... and, yep, the green on 9 is insane.

Definitely get a cart first time around. All the carts have an onboard GPS system with virtual course map, and you're going to need this to navigate some of the blind tee shots.

Bunkers are pretty nasty... very soft sand and lumpy in places. Straight in with any height and you'll draw a buried lie.

Some of the greens/run-offs seem like overkill to me, but otherwise I really like the golf course and would recommend it to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrymoo View Post
    Kk, M3J's review prompted me to drive up the coast and take another tilt at Magenta.

Managed to catch in on a still day, but even without the wind it's a very, very tough golf course.

Some epic holes out there: 2, 4, 9 and 18, are the standouts for me... and, yep, the green on 9 is insane.

Definitely get a cart first time around. All the carts have an onboard GPS system with virtual course map, and you're going to need this to navigate some of the blind tee shots.

Bunkers are pretty nasty... very soft sand and lumpy in places. Straight in with any height and you'll draw a buried lie.

Some of the greens/run-offs seem like overkill to me, but otherwise I really like the golf course and would recommend it to others.
    Glad you enjoyed it mate.

The sand is one problem we face week in week out. It's just too soft. Balls aren't rolling into the middle which is a shame. The course is hard enough without crazy plugged lies.

The course is undergoing large water works and hence has no irrigation at the moment. But it's still looking great.

Glad you enjoyed it mate.

The sand is one problem we face week in week out. It's just too soft. Balls aren't rolling into the middle which is a shame. The course is hard enough without crazy plugged lies.

The course is undergoing large water works and hence has no irrigation at the moment. But it's still looking great.
    Had a good day up there, for sure.

And all the staff were great, very friendly place.

So that's a little dam going in off the side of the 13th?

Default Magenta Shores Golf - Quick Review

Yeah there is going to be a very large dam at the side of the 11th tee and maybe some on the right of the 13th hole.

From what I've heard it's going to allow them to really water the fairways to get the grass growing again and they might be planting a new fairway grass to help it over winter months.

You no doubt saw how tight the lies are around the greens.

Tough track, at the moment it has me beat. Can't crack 30 points.

Can't crack 30 points.
    Choppa!

Thread Information