Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1105
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
    I played it many years ago and there was a Pro-shop - I was about to tee off when the shop person came running out going off about me needing a sand bucket; at the time I used a carry bag with a custom made sand carrier in the drinks pocket so upon pointing this out said person went off red faced and apologising

As for Barmera Hard_Pan it would need to - it was shite when I layed there the once (same trip as the Berri visit)
    Can you recall if that Pro Shop was on the Club House side attached to the main building or the stand alone hut on the opposite side of the Putting Green?
    In my time there was a small room off the main building above the Putting Green that was the match committee room. If they took out the internal wall between the match committee office and what used the be comp entry bench and Handicap Board foyer I could see that being a small Pro Shop.
    I wonder if it was the Golf Club or the Hotel running it. Bet they found out quickly there was no money to be made selling anything else other than drinks, balls and tees.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Floods shouldn’t have affected Barmera as they are on high ground.

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Pan View Post
    Thanks TC. Might be the go. Other option I’m considering is Robe. 4+ hours each way is the killer and the accomodation this time of year is usually through the roof.
    If on a budget I would airbnb in Mount Gambier, then you could play Attamurra. If you have time, it’s also not that much further to Port Fairy and you can head home via Halls Gap (personal fav)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I played it many years ago and there was a Pro-shop - I was about to tee off when the shop person came running out going off about me needing a sand bucket; at the time I used a carry bag with a custom made sand carrier in the drinks pocket so upon pointing this out said person went off red faced and apologising As for Barmera Hard_Pan it would need to - it was shite when I layed there the once (same trip as the Berri visit)
    If I owned a golf course and you were on the first tee I'd yell at you too
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Can you recall if that Pro Shop was on the Club House side attached to the main building or the stand alone hut on the opposite side of the Putting Green?
    In my time there was a small room off the main building above the Putting Green that was the match committee room. If they took out the internal wall between the match committee office and what used the be comp entry bench and Handicap Board foyer I could see that being a small Pro Shop.
    I wonder if it was the Golf Club or the Hotel running it. Bet they found out quickly there was no money to be made selling anything else other than drinks, balls and tees.
    Pretty sure it was the hut Hatchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    If I owned a golf course and you were on the first tee I'd yell at you too
    Only because you know I am about to hit it straight up the middle even after months away ................

Pretty sure it was the hut Hatchy. Only because you know I am about to hit it straight up the middle even after months away ................
    Frustratingly true Nadge.

I went to take a look at Renmark myself today. Just did a slow drive along the entry road and near the clubhouse.The fairways resemble very brown/dead grass and weeds from what I could see. Looks like they are prioritising watering around and near the greens as they are quite green which was encouraging. Sprinklers were active which is a good sign. Maybe they are trying to revive it - looks like a lot of work to go however. One of the bunkers I saw had overgrown weeds all through it.. Hoping to chat with my mate who runs the Paringa Hotel for more info today. I'll also post up a couple pics I took.
    Last edited by Flavzz; 6th January 2024 at 12:20 PM.

Default SA 'heaps good' Course thread

I was in Renmark today (not a Golf related trip), in Loxton having my favourite Pizza now as I type this.
    I drove into Remark Golf Course to have a look for myself.
    No idea what number holes they are now but the old 10th (Par 4), 11th (Par 3) and 12th (Par 5) are clearly visable on the drive up that long Pine Tree lined drive.
    Those 3 holes are a mess. Fairways dry, patchy and full of weeds.
    The bunker on the Par 3 is over grown with weeds. The Par 5 green could clearly be seen to be patchy long coarse grass that really looked like it was just tighter mown fairway.
    They had water going on the Par 5 fairway. Not sure what they are trying to keep alive as it’s that far gone they are just wasting money.
    Saw about 8 cars in the motel bit.
    Anyone booking to stay and play there now based on past experience/reputation would be horrified.
    Wirrina MK II but at least Wirrina has a course that’s not a complete mess.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 6th January 2024 at 08:48 PM.

W.I.T.B

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Considering a trip to Port Hughes but also looking at a second or third course on Yorke Penninsula. Noting most courses are scrapes what would you recommend near Port Hughes? Maitland/Wallaroo/Kadina seem like options.. Has anyone played any of these in the past 12 months? Any others on Yorke worth a drive further south?
    Port vincent is very fun to play. Worth a poke around. I have played stansbury also.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Panic on the streets of London
    Panic on the streets of Birmingham
    I wonder to myself
    Could life ever be sane again ?
    The Leeds side-streets that you slip down
    I wonder to myself

Default SA 'heaps good' Course thread

Taken from today’s Sunday Mail.
    R.A holding its position while Links Lady Bay, Mount Compass, Grange East & West and Glenelg jumping spots up the order.
    Kooyonga dropped a few positions.

Cut off pic above in article is about 2 snoozers having aces at Kenton Valley (Home of the OzGolf Xmas Mug) on the same day in a club Ambrose comp.
    One on the 161m par 3 11th and other an albatross ace on the 250m par 4 10th.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 4th February 2024 at 11:08 AM.

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

an albatross ace on the 250m par 4 10th.
    Impressive!

Last time I played LLB the greens had a serious poa issue. Shame because the greens used to be as good as RA. Perhaps they are rolling better now. Will have to have a game there

Hey all, been enjoying reading this thread.

Been out of the country for a few years and will be looking at a membership in a few months.
    I think my options are between West Lakes (10 min drive) and Tea Tree Gully (30 min drive)

I have played at West Lakes once before during the week and I enjoyed but have heard grumbles about slow play. With the entry fee + rates being slightly cheaper for a 6-day at TTG, do you reckon it is worth the extra 20 min drive? and what is the general feelings about either course these days as many posts i've looked at here are from a few years ago.

Appreciate any advice, cheers!

20min extra drive absolutely worth it.
    Apart from the definite constant slow play issues with holes 1-5 the condition of TTG is better.
    West Lakes has a big problem in imho with areas around the greens with balls landing within a large area all funneling to a small area so the lies are not good as so many balls have been played from these hollows.
    In general it cops a lot of traffic and the course looks like it needs a rest from players chopping it up.

W.I.T.B

20min extra drive absolutely worth it.
    Apart from the definite constant slow play issues with holes 1-5 the condition of TTG is better.
    West Lakes has a big problem in imho with areas around the greens with balls landing within a large area all funneling to a small area so the lies are not good as so many balls have been played from these hollows.
    In general it cops a lot of traffic and the course looks like it needs a rest from players chopping it up.
    I'd caution against saying West Lakes cops a lot of traffic when comparing against TTG. I've been a 7-day member at Gully since 2020 and we're constantly told it is the busiest course in the state and used as the blanket excuse for any issues with the course condition. We also have our own problems with slow rounds.
    Not arguing that Gully is any in worse nick or slower than West Lakes. Just saying, because personally I wasn't prepared for how busy it is out there ALL the time.

Well aware TTG gets a lot of traffic. That said and I’ve played there recently it’s way better condition than West Lakes.

W.I.T.B

TTG has high traffic but generally speaking runs pretty well in terms of round time. I can’t remember ever having a round longer than 4.5 hours.

Condition is still good but was better with the old super who has now retired.

I noticed they filled in the first green side bunker on the new 9th green, and some other improvements at the course. Gone Bay Hill with #15 rock wall

Will be renewing my provisional membership, let me know if you need an invite to play

I think TTG is objectively a more interesting course to play and the condition as noted above also slightly better. West lakes is a nice solid course but is a bit up and down at times with many straight holes. I actually played there on Friday and condition was quite good. I'm not aware of the Saturday typical round durations there either. Travel time if you're only playing once a week 30 min to TTG is palatable but if you're playing or practiciing multiple times a week that extra time adds up. Convenience to a course in my experience can often mean you end up playing/practicing more or less but again depends on your situation.
    WITB

Appreciate all the replies from everyone, thanks! I talked to some mates that and they have echoed your opinions.

Hatch - I do remember now the funnel areas around the greens.

TheCollective - I might have to take you up on that offer in the future.

Flavzz - I think for sure the 10min drive will have a large influence on my thinking, being able to have a casual hit after work.

Will most likely have a round at each and if TTG is that more interesting, could be a big factor.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by bigideasandy View Post
    I think my options are between West Lakes (10 min drive) and Tea Tree Gully (30 min drive)

I have played at West Lakes once before during the week and I enjoyed but have heard grumbles about slow play.
    The grumbles are entirely legitimate. Having been a member there for two years previously I can attest to the appalling slow play at times. The membership is oversubscribed so you get several groups waiting for holes to clear almost entirely (4th hole). Regular multi group lineups are expected ona sat on every single par 3. Reports to the pro shop were met with one line throw away comments like "the only thing that makes golf slow is slow golfers". Wtf. Anyways. we were abused twice by one particular old sod in the group behind for being half a hole behind, two weeks in a row. He was spoken to by the club I believe and told to report slow play to the club, not abuse (f word etc) fellow members.

I'm not even a particular fan of the course either, it feels very claustrophobic as you are hemmed in tightly with every shot and inevitably if you're having an off day you will spend most of the time not in the rough but on neighboring fairways, which means yeah you have a great lie but you end up having to wait for groups to hit down their fairway etc etc. And don't be only slightly off with your game because then you end up in the rough with absolutely impossible shot where you don't even have a swing and can only advance the ball 20 meters. It's a course where it's better to be way off that only just a little off...you actually get better rewards for being more wayward.

Got totally rained in one day, and had to walk off the course due to greens being absolutely soaked, and told by the Pro Shop to go find a dry line to the hole and putt. Well, genius, there were actually NO dry lines to the hole believe it or not, and anything that even remotely resembled a dry line was actually still water logged and the ball speed incredibly inconsistent so 4 and 5 putts were the norm. It was just effing ridiculous. Pro shop said too bad, DQ'd for not completing the round, or just "No Score Not Approved". At my current club Kooyonga there is none of that nonsense at all, they just accept the extreme bad weather on the odd occasion and give you a "No Score Approved".

BS from the members, BS from the pro shop, bar with little decent food at times too.

Stay away is my advice. You will be much better off at somewhere like TTG if you don't mind that 30minute commute.
    Last edited by Chilled; 22nd February 2024 at 08:27 PM.

Since when is Mt Compass $75-85 to play? WHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Been a while now - think they got a bit up themselves when they started moving up in the course rankings!?

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    It's actually a deal breaker for me now... especially if you're playing with someone that can't walk it and needs to pay for cart.

$20 more (and a friend who's a member) and you can play RA or Grange... Compass is nice, but that's pushing it.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Goes a long way in explaining the empty booking sheet most Sunday's...

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    $20 more (and a friend who's a member) and you can play RA or Grange... Compass is nice, but that's pushing it.
    ^This.I think it needs to be $55-$60 max - plus the decent journey to get there for most people and its just not that much of an attractive proposition.
    WITB

Thread Information