Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 33 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1105
    Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Played Flagstaff Hill yesterday with the boys... I won't write about the golf as I'd rather forget it.

First time playing there and wow are they sinking some money into it! New club house well underway and looks to be huge (https://www.livingchoice.com.au/wp-c...bhouse-Web.pdf)! When I called last week to book in there were plenty of tee times available, but rolling in on Sunday morning it was packed. We started on the 10th, and despite how I played I actually really enjoyed the course. Pretty good mix of long straight holes and some pretty sharp dog legs making you think off the tee.

Overall condition was pretty good. I'd love to comment more specifically on the condition of the fairways, but unfortunately I didn't spend a lot of time there. Greens ran true and sped up loads as the morning went on and they dried out a bit. Still very receptive though. Managed to get a decent amount of the spin on the 13th which is pretty rare for me.

Pace of play was also pretty good considering how busy it was. We waited every now and again, but the group ahead was in the comp so makes sense. There was a pair behind us who waited a bit, but no point letting them through as we were already waiting.

$60 for 18... I'd play it again (after some time had passed). 7th is a fantastic looking hole (par 3 over the lake)... pity I gave up 2 balls off the tee!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Played Flagstaff Hill yesterday with the boys... I won't write about the golf as I'd rather forget it.

First time playing there and wow are they sinking some money into it! New club house well underway and looks to be huge (https://www.livingchoice.com.au/wp-c...bhouse-Web.pdf)! When I called last week to book in there were plenty of tee times available, but rolling in on Sunday morning it was packed. We started on the 10th, and despite how I played I actually really enjoyed the course. Pretty good mix of long straight holes and some pretty sharp dog legs making you think off the tee.

Overall condition was pretty good. I'd love to comment more specifically on the condition of the fairways, but unfortunately I didn't spend a lot of time there. Greens ran true and sped up loads as the morning went on and they dried out a bit. Still very receptive though. Managed to get a decent amount of the spin on the 13th which is pretty rare for me.

Pace of play was also pretty good considering how busy it was. We waited every now and again, but the group ahead was in the comp so makes sense. There was a pair behind us who waited a bit, but no point letting them through as we were already waiting.

$60 for 18... I'd play it again (after some time had passed). 7th is a fantastic looking hole (par 3 over the lake)... pity I gave up 2 balls off the tee!
    Used to play there occasionally when I was at The Vines, most of the slowest/longest rounds I have ever had to endure have been there!

Senior Member Major Winner

Played there this year for the first time since the 13th and 14th were sold off and replaced by 2 holes near the dam. That was quite a long time ago now.
    One of these holes was being played as a par 3 as the fairway had been built up on the right hand side. Was getting close to being back in play as a par 4.
    Was busy that Sunday morning also and while not a quick round it wasn’t a massively slow one that the place got a reputation for either.
    My uncles been a member there for over 25yrs now and always bugging me to come have more games there. I most likely would if it wasn’t so far from where I live.
    It’s going to be very interesting how this new Golf Club/Community village thing is going to work.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 19th December 2023 at 10:07 AM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Considering a trip to Port Hughes but also looking at a second or third course on Yorke Penninsula. Noting most courses are scrapes what would you recommend near Port Hughes? Maitland/Wallaroo/Kadina seem like options.. Has anyone played any of these in the past 12 months? Any others on Yorke worth a drive further south?
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Considering a trip to Port Hughes but also looking at a second or third course on Yorke Penninsula. Noting most courses are scrapes what would you recommend near Port Hughes? Maitland/Wallaroo/Kadina seem like options.. Has anyone played any of these in the past 12 months? Any others on Yorke worth a drive further south?
    All but the Links Port Hughes are Scrapes on York Peninsula.
    I haven’t played any of the 3 scrapes ones you’ve mentioned above. They are on my to do list.
    Most scrapes courses aren’t in good condition Nov-March and are dry dust bowls not to mention the heat that comes off the Scrapes.
    I think Kadina is one that’s playable all year round.
    On the way over or way back Ardrossan is playable all year round and has good grass fairways. It would be an excellent Geens course if they had the money and could guarantee towns recycled water supply to sustain it. Enough water is the thing stopping them the most.

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Wallaroo is an interesting track, fairway watering, mainly flat eighteen hole course - scrapes but they are moving to grass greens, not sure how they have progressed on that, I played it 2022. Maitaland is an 18 hole layout as well a bit more undulating and scapes as well, it was a bit drier that Wallaroo when I played there in 2022, both open all year round. Kadina closes for the season ( i was there in november) so probably still closed. And as Hatchman said Ardrossan is worth a look at.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 2nd January 2024 at 04:42 PM.

Flavzz: I’m currently in Edithburgh and all the courses are much greener than usual. Sadly I don’t have my clubs with me but if you’re heading to the Dunes I would play Kadina and Ardrossan. The others are too far and not worth the extra petrol cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just saw on the Wallaroo website that the full eighteen hole grass greens will be in play from early Jan.

https://www.wallaroogolfclub.org/

b
    etter than getting all that black shit on your shoes!
    Last edited by MAZA68; 2nd January 2024 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks lads. Will report back if this trip eventuates - we are looking at April so most course might be a fair bit drier by then. I played Ardrossan probably 20 years ago and can't really remember it much.

Sounds like Wallaroo is worth a look and Kadina if open.
    WITB

Also I'm in Berri atm for a family trip. Will likely play Berri in the next 2 days. Does anyone know if Renmark has recovered from the previous owner running it into the ground?
    WITB

Thanks lads. Will report back if this trip eventuates - we are looking at April so most course might be a fair bit drier by then. I played Ardrossan probably 20 years ago and can't really remember it much.

Sounds like Wallaroo is worth a look and Kadina if open.
    April should offer all the course's, most open from march to october, depends on whether your a scrapes fan or not.

Also I'm in Berri atm for a family trip. Will likely play Berri in the next 2 days. Does anyone know if Renmark has recovered from the previous owner running it into the ground?
    I'd be surprised if there any holes left in play now at Renmark tbh. Last I herd (over 18months ago now) it was only 9 holes and that 9 was on woeful condition thanks to what the locals call the Google Greenkeeper. Such a shame as I always remember it being the best maintained and presented course in the Riverland.
    Mid year I noticed all the lettering and signage has been removed from the entrance off the highway so that looks bad for anything to be still operational there now.

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    I'd be surprised if there any holes left in play now at Renmark tbh. Last I herd (over 18months ago now) it was only 9 holes and that 9 was on woeful condition thanks to what the locals call the Google Greenkeeper. Such a shame as I always remember it being the best maintained and presented course in the Riverland. Mid year I noticed all the lettering and signage has been removed from the entrance off the highway so that looks bad for anything to be still operational there now.
    Such a sad story, likewise when I was growing up in the riverland it was always excellent. I might have a nosey around and go take a look this week.
    WITB

Loxton (and Waikerie) are the pick of the layouts, followed by Berri.

Kadina is an interesting layout, but should only be considered after rainfall has restarted, ie not a summer (or indian summer) option.
    Interesting to hear about Wallaroo and greens. Quite excited about that (my grandparents and father grew up in Wallaroo).

Benje

I played the front 9 at Berri today. The course was in quite good condition. Greens were very good but a bit slow. I forgot how sneaky long the front 9 is. I really enjoy the contrast of the green fairways and sandy mallee scrub land that waits for any errant tee shots. I was a member here when I was a junior so I always enjoy coming back here for a hit when I can, albeit it's been a number of years since my last hit here.

It’s been far too many years since I’ve had a hit a Berri, I must do it in 2024.
    Playing from that loose sand around the mallee requires a learnt skill and a big part of why we used to dominate convincingly at home in Pennant.

What year(s) were you a junior there?
    Do you remember the name Max Hensel at all?

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    It’s been far too many years since I’ve had a hit a Berri, I must do it in 2024.Playing from that loose sand around the mallee requires a learnt skill and a big part of why we used to dominate convincingly at home in Pennant. What year(s) were you a junior there?Do you remember the name Max Hensel at all?
    Early 90s Hatch I'd say. The name doesn't ring a bell as I was just a kid but it probably would to my old man.

Default SA 'heaps good' Course thread

Early 90s Hatch I'd say. The name doesn't ring a bell as I was just a kid but it probably would to my old man.
    Your dad might not know the name either then as Max stopped playing and coaching the juniors in 86 I think after a narrow minded committee changed the long running waiving of the penalty that allowed the experienced juniors that played comp in the afternoons from playing 9 holes with the beginners in the morning after the lessons/clinic.
    He was devastated as that resulted in a big decline in attendance so he walked away from the club after doing that for 20+ years. I took on the role the following year reluctantly but the Junior programme that was the envy of all the other Riverland Clubs had been all but killed off. I moved to the City for work in 88 and I don’t think anyone else took it on so that was it.
    I’m fairly sure Max’s health deteriorated really quick after he lost doing what he loved and his wife had passed mid 80’s on top of all that.
    Little bit sad really.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 4th January 2024 at 09:20 AM.

W.I.T.B

I'm off to the end of Jan so am looking at playing options. Pt Hughes and Waikerie about the same distance as Lake Albert. I've heard that Barmera has improved immensely since the floods.

86 was a bit before my time on the course. I would have only been 3 at the time. Sounds like he had a great thing going.

It's a shame the pro shop has also closed now, everything golf related is serviced over the bar at the tavern. Doesn't have the same feel to it.
    WITB

86 was a bit before my time on the course. I would have only been 3 at the time. Sounds like he had a great thing going.

It's a shame the pro shop has also closed now, everything golf related is serviced over the bar at the tavern. Doesn't have the same feel to it.
    They had a Pro Shop when you were there?
    During my time Remark was the only Course that had a Pro Shop (Gary Campbell for many years then David Ormsby, Peters brother).
    My last years as a member was when the Golf Club let the Berri Hotel take over the running of the Club house and course (lease arrangement, not sure on how many years). Part of that arrangement was the Hotel paid for the remainder of the full irrigation of the fairways as the Golf Club was doing it in stages as funds allowed. The Golf Club always had a good working relationship with the Hotel re holiday Golf packages. I had a game a year or two after the Hotel was firmly established in taking over. Member/friends told me as members Golf Club the place had no atmosphere and Members were being pushed out after Comp days for dinners to have the the space.
    Was that little Hut on the opposite side of the 10th being run as a Pro Shop? To my limited knowledge I was told it was basically the Golf Club starting and finishing Hut as they had virtually been kicked out of the old Club House.
    Point of interest: The Berri Hotel also took over the running of the Renmark Golf Club for a number of years at one stage. I never got any info on how it came about they were no longer involved but at that same time I started hearing stories on how the course condition was in massive decline and they were in trouble. My good mate was the Greenkeeper at Berri and while the Hotel had the running of the place their equipment was always maintained as the Hotel's focus was to present the course well as that's what bought the people for Holiday packages.

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Pan View Post
    I'm off to the end of Jan so am looking at playing options. Pt Hughes and Waikerie about the same distance as Lake Albert. I've heard that Barmera has improved immensely since the floods.
    HP: according to what I have read and heard, Wallaroo is now up and running with the new greens. The course on google actually looks ok for a country track, plenty of room.

I reckon it’s worth a visit, you could play 27 in a day with the dunes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I feel like there was a small pro shop when I was a junior adjacent the practice green however I could be wrong. They definitely used the small hut on the western side of the practice green in more recent times but its been abandoned at some stage.
    WITB

I feel like there was a small pro shop when I was a junior adjacent the practice green however I could be wrong. They definitely used the small hut on the western side of the practice green in more recent times but its been abandoned at some stage.
    I played it many years ago and there was a Pro-shop - I was about to tee off when the shop person came running out going off about me needing a sand bucket; at the time I used a carry bag with a custom made sand carrier in the drinks pocket so upon pointing this out said person went off red faced and apologising

As for Barmera Hard_Pan it would need to - it was shite when I layed there the once (same trip as the Berri visit)

Thanks TC. Might be the go. Other option I’m considering is Robe. 4+ hours each way is the killer and the accomodation this time of year is usually through the roof.

Thread Information