Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 45 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 37 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Hi Davidw,thanks for joining! Gawler has some fantastic land for golf + the greens are always very true, The club has developed well over the last 10 years. My pick of the layout is hole 8. That second shot is always different depending on the conditions plus I love the bail-out/safety area rightTheir advertised claim to the best track 'North of city' though I would question. Whilst on slightly less impressive land Tanunda holds a much better layout and has superior couch fairways largely due to the water reclaim deal with Yalumba. If we count TTG into the mix as well I think SC should re-consider advertising that claim.
    I've been a member at TTG previously and personally prefer the layout at Sandy - TTG never held up as well in summer! I also like playing Tanunda, similar quick greens with some nice views

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidw View Post
    I've been a member at TTG previously and personally prefer the layout at Sandy - TTG never held up as well in summer! I also like playing Tanunda, similar quick greens with some nice views
    David: sounds like you have done the club rounds in the North just like yours truly.

TTG is an interesting case study: the old Par 5 #3 was a magnificent hole; and only lost due to neighbours who think they should be able to live next a golf course and have no balls fall into their yard. The club has always had a strong following but their push to retain 'standards' has lost them a lot of members particularly in an area where it is more laid back than perhaps further south east. It has some good stretch of holes; I was a fan of stretch 6-9 but always wished they could chop the barrage of trees down near the green on #9. #11 is my pick of holes, love the drive and second shot - good risk reward with a clever central bunker. The much loved #15 does nothing for me largely due to the trees left.

Sandy has some amazing land and its best parts down the hill are not utilised enough. 1 and 10 are far too similar; perhaps moving the green forward on #10 par 4 and back on #1 (into the flatter part down by the pines) would fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    G'day David, welcome to...

Oh sorry. Marcel will be in touch
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    David: sounds like you have done the club rounds in the North just like yours truly.TTG is an interesting case study: the old Par 5 #3 was a magnificent hole; and only lost due to neighbours who think they should be able to live next a golf course and have no balls fall into their yard. The club has always had a strong following but their push to retain 'standards' has lost them a lot of members particularly in an area where it is more laid back than perhaps further south east. It has some good stretch of holes; I was a fan of stretch 6-9 but always wished they could chop the barrage of trees down near the green on #9. #11 is my pick of holes, love the drive and second shot - good risk reward with a clever central bunker. The much loved #15 does nothing for me largely due to the trees left.Sandy has some amazing land and its best parts down the hill are not utilised enough. 1 and 10 are far too similar; perhaps moving the green forward on #10 par 4 and back on #1 (into the flatter part down by the pines) would fix this.
    I never got to play TTG when they had the old 3rd, it's a shame because judging by the land it would have been a fun hole as a par 5.

There's definitely some good holes, the 15th gives an awesome feeling if you manage to stick your approach in the green!SC has recently changed the order of play for the holes too, the old 17th is now the first so you finish 18 with a tricky greenside water hazard (old 16th).

I agree 3 and 12 (old 1st and 10th) are a bit too similar and could use a bit of tweaking (some bunkering would do the trick!)
    Last edited by Davidw; 27th November 2016 at 09:56 PM.

TTG, Sandy Creek and Tanunda all great courses IMO. I'd probably pick Tanunda as best, but I joined TTG as it's closest

Working my way around Bangkok massage shops

I seriously need to play Tanunda on a nice day.
    Only played it twice and both weren't that memorable as the first time the greens were getting close to ridiculous,
    and the second time the wind and rain triggered my fuse.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Waza: when they get it right it's a good track. The layout and fairways have always been the strong points. We need to sort out our drainage issues in the bunkers.

Will let you know when the course returns to cherry ripe and will host a round there, it's normally good around Christmas break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Played with a bloke on the weekend who claims that Fleurieu is the best it's been in years. Can't say he's an expert but I think we should check it out in the next month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Pan View Post
    Played with a bloke on the weekend who claims that Fleurieu is the best it's been in years. Can't say he's an expert but I think we should check it out in the next month or two.
    looking forward to Sunday week!

I've heard that some of the yum yums are getting pretty high. I will need to take a few balls on the 26th.

Doing so on 26th.

Pennants on the 26th.. Darn!!

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

See here for thread for 26th

Pennants on the 26th.. Darn!!
    Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    See here for thread for 26th
    The post regarding this was put up Jan 9th HP! Believe you already knew you had something else on!?

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
    The post regarding this was put up Jan 9th HP! Believe you already knew you had something else on!?
    Yep. I remember now.. Doh!

Heading over to Adelaide from Perth on Wednesday, staying with my son (Air Force) in Mawson Lakes for 2 weeks.

Anyone recommend a good course to pay a visit?

Highercombe looks interesting as does Links Lady Bay.

Any hidden little gems that i should try out that i've missed via my searches on the net?

Cheers,

Andy.

Lady Bay would be the choice there. About 1 1/2 hrs south of Mawson Lakes.
    Mt Compass Golf course would be the other pick. It is on the comeback trail at the moment and the green and fairways are in good condition. Bunkers are still a little suspect.

Have you got reciprocal anywhere?
    Last edited by wazamac; 20th March 2017 at 07:48 AM.

Give Highercombe a miss, I'm personally not a fan.

There is a little 9 hole course in Mawson Lakes, nothing special.
    I've played there before and it's usually really quiet.
    Would be ideal for a late arvo knock around.

Tea Tree Gully is probably the closest decent course to Mawson Lakes.

Most tier 1 courses are located West of Adelaide CBD.

TH: welcome to Ozgolf

To play TTG you will need to be an existing member at a course in W.A (or Australia) with a golf link card. Available times of play will be outside of normal comp times. They are also quite strict with dress code, refer to website for more info. TTG is a well conditioned parkland course. Very tight in spots with lots of trees

Some other options to consider:
    - Sandy Creek; approx 45 mins from Mawson Lakes; country style undulating track; spectacular land, definitely worth a hit
    - Tanunda; approx 55 from ML; similar to SC with a better layout and slightly less undulation; both these courses are good and on par with each other
    - Mount Osmond; approx 35 mins from ML: a very undulating and quirky track with spectacular views of Adelaide. In stunning condition at the moment, despite its location and perception quite a friendly club and open to public play but I reckon a Golflink card would be required. Played a round with the president last week, great bloke with an excellent vision for the course.
    Last edited by thecollective; 20th March 2017 at 10:06 AM.

Hi TH. I've played Mawson Lakes several times (under sufferance), during pennants golf. Save yourself some grief, 10 mins down the Port Expressway is a 9 holer called Regency Park. I'd play here rather than at Mawson Lakes any day of the week. Agree with the fellas's comments above re the other courses.

Hello everyone,

thanks for the welcome and the replies. Sandy Creek does look inviting, indeed might give that a go.

Thanks again.

Senior Member Major Winner

... just don't order off the dine in menu half way around.. that's where my 2014.campaign imploded

Opinions on flagstaff hill? May be playing in the coming weeks.

Played a few months back before winter and it was preferred lies.

Be prepared for a slow round. Don't think I've ever gone around in under 4 1/2 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Opinions on flagstaff hill? May be playing in the coming weeks.
    Take a book.

Thread Information