Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    What's the pick of

Flagstaff Hill
    Murray Bridge
    Tea Tree Gully
    West Lakes

?
    Of those above, unless a member OR reciprocal as you are it would be very difficult, (nigh impossible!), to get a Saturday game at 3 of those courses, the only possibility being Murray Bridge; BUT that is quite a way out of Adelaide and to be honest there are better courses a lot nearer! (though it has been a while since I was last at Murray Bridge so my thoughts may be incorrect!?) Mt Compass/Fleurieu, McCracken, Lady Bay immediately spring to mind! Not much use where your reciprocals are concerned but a round at these is approx $40 I believe?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
    Of those above, unless a member OR reciprocal as you are it would be very difficult, (nigh impossible!), to get a Saturday game at 3 of those courses
    Definitely no good at West Lakes. TTG I have used every one of my club advantage slots, over three years, to play TTG on a saturday morning. The trick is to call late friday, giving members a chance to book first, and then I have found that if there are any slots left over they give them to me....it is generally at the crack of dawn to tee off though. I've not been refused yet. Flaggy I have also played on sat mornings a couple of times. It's up to the pro shop but as a club advantage member and if you are polite about it they are at least open to giving you a chance to play on sat. Obviously a busy day so sometimes you will get knocked back.

West Lakes are strict with policy, so no chance on sat.

Senior Member Major Winner

Thanks all for the info. If there are a bunch playing Saturday I'm happy to go anywhere. If not, I'll sort myself out.

Coalesce, i was in your situation about a year and a half ago. I live in town and work at Melrose Park and was looking for somewhere to play after about 6 or 7 years out. You can probably find my odyssey documented in the earlier pages of this thread
    My criteria was not a huge drive, ideally no joining fee and not a goat track. Which left me with the choice of Flagstaff, Blackwood and the Vines. All, in my opinion at the time from playing as a junior, roughly the same level of quality and all about the same price.
    I emailed all 3 as all their application forms said i need referees.
    Flagstaff didn't seem interested, they had an 18 months for the price of 12 and didn't really seem to want to make the effort.
    Blackwood had a waiting list for 7 day membership at the time, but they offered me a free round and a mate half price to check the course out.
    The Vines were nothing but helpful, got offered a free round for myself and a mate to have a look around. Talked to the guys in the pro shop, Zak in the pro shop offered to let me take his Cleveland 588 irons to the range and have a hit with them (must have caught him on a good day Neil ) after i'd just walked in off the street.
    I ended up joining at the Vines and haven't regretted it. I joined not knowing anyone and have played Saturdays and Sundays by just putting my name down wherever there was a spot and have not had a problem with anyone. Which is a lot better than some of the stories i've heard from ex-members of another course on my initial list.

… And we're back playing Simpson cup from next season, if that is of interest to you

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Fleurieu will be no problem getting on Sat arvo. Course should be in good nick Medal of medals day that Sat. Pretty sure you would enjoy it.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by highballin View Post
    Fleurieu will be no problem getting on Sat arvo. Course should be in good nick Medal of medals day that Sat. Pretty sure you would enjoy it.
    Sounds like a plan. Fleurieu it is

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Fleurieu it is
    Will continue in the SA champs thread

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

DaveK, thanks. Kinda confirming what I'd got to so far. What is Simpson cup?

To be honest it is between Fleurieu and The Vines but I haven't yet played the vines to rule it in/out

Does anyone have a membership price for Gawler?
    I was talking to a mate who works at drummonds today and he's under 25 and says there's a discounted rate.
    I think it was around 500ish.

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    Gawler: No entrance fee, annual fee $1290 (currently on special at $995)
    That's for 7 day membership from their website.

To be honest it is between Fleurieu and The Vines but I haven't yet played the vines to rule it in/out
    My preference would be Fleurieu, it's a much much more interesting course imo. But at the end of the day there are also considerations of traveling time. I was a member of Fleurieu a few years back and loved every time I played there, just wish it was closer to Adelaide. Both courses pro shops and members of Fleurieu and The Vines (bar one particular snobby member! ) are great. I used to like the Vines because it was relatively easy and always gave me a shot, even on a weekday!

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Does anyone have a membership price for Gawler?
    I was talking to a mate who works at drummonds today and he's under 25 and says there's a discounted rate.
    I think it was around 500ish.
    $995 Doesn't say when the year starts and ends for membership. So not sure on pro rata.

image.jpg

DaveK, thanks. Kinda confirming what I'd got to so far. What is Simpson cup?To be honest it is between Fleurieu and The Vines but I haven't yet played the vines to rule it in/out
    Simpson cup is the top pennant division. I dunno, fleurieu just doesn't agree with my 'erratic' style

Do memberships tend to run for a fixed period in Aus then? Back in the UK it was often 12 months from when you joined

$499 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Simpson cup is the top pennant division. I dunno, fleurieu just doesn't agree with my 'erratic' style
    I am a chopper. I don't need to worry about playing pennant

$995 Doesn't say when the year starts and ends for membership. So not sure on pro rata.Attachment 31696
    Got a couple of mates who are members there, membership rates have come down there in the last season. They got up to around $1300 a year, which is ridiculous for that course, IMHO. From memory, the season was April-March?

Do memberships tend to run for a fixed period in Aus then? Back in the UK it was often 12 months from when you joined
    I think most have a fixed period and pro rata if you join in between

Yes, they have membership terms which are fixed dates, and then you pay on some sort of pro rata basis depending on when you join.

99% sure this is the wrong thread, but I'm playing the infamous Pat course tomorrow. I look forward to being underwhelmed.

Just in case it keeps it on topic, I'm playing Willunga on Sunday. Not sure what to expect.

Hopefully with my old driver & hybrid back in the back I can shoot nearer 90 than 100 at least once this weekend!

99% sure this is the wrong thread, but I'm playing the infamous Pat course tomorrow. I look forward to being underwhelmed.
    The Pat is good, I just live around the corner. You wouldn't exactly call it an exciting course and with a slope rating of 119 it's probably an easier course, but it's fine.

Just in case it keeps it on topic, I'm playing Willunga on Sunday. Not sure what to expect.
    Do they run a comp on a sunday? Got a 2 for 1 voucher I need to use there sometime.

Nothing wrong with the Pat for a public course that sees heaps of traffic. Is always in pretty good nick. You will have a good day for sure.

You can can give it a fair rip on most holes not too much trouble to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
    Do they run a comp on a sunday? Got a 2 for 1 voucher I need to use there sometime.
    I'll find out for you

Nothing wrong with the Pat for a public course that sees heaps of traffic. Is always in pretty good nick. You will have a good day for sure.

You can can give it a fair rip on most holes not too much trouble to be found.
    Sounds perfect. Does it suit the fade?

Sounds perfect. Does it suit the fade?
    Definitely more a faders course.

Thread Information