Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris32 View Post
    Anyone played Robe? Heading down there next month and not sure if its worth packing the bats.

If my other half will let me pack them is another question anyway
    I've only walked sections of it, looks worthy of a bash.

Very nice IGA in Robe as well, was there just last month
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    I've only walked sections of it, looks worthy of a bash.

Very nice IGA in Robe as well, was there just last month
    Will be sure to send you a picture mate, will be the furthest SE I have ever been, surpassing Goolwa Might even make it to Mt Gambier, or VIC!
    Handicaped

G10 9* / G10 17* / Idea Pro / MP-60/MP-32 / 588's / Rossie 2

www.jcgolf.com.au

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I played Robe & Millicent on the long weekend. Millicent is just incredible. Great layout in the pine forest out of town. Take the road to Mt Burr. Awesome greens. So quick & pure. If you stay at Robe & have the extra hour each way drive to Millicent. You will be stunned.
    Robe is a cute course with a few interesting holes. Greens are nice & true but a little spongy. Managed to tear the cartilage in my knee on the 7th resulting in a fun stop at Sportsmed with my surgeon for a scope job 48 hours later.
    Should be back on course in 2-3 weeks.

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Quote Originally Posted by timinsa View Post
    I played Robe & Millicent on the long weekend. Millicent is just incredible. Great layout in the pine forest out of town. Take the road to Mt Burr. Awesome greens. So quick & pure. If you stay at Robe & have the extra hour each way drive to Millicent. You will be stunned.
    Last time I was over there I stayed at Robe but played at Kingston SE.

Millicent would be more awesome if they could afford to hire Clayts to fix the shitty bunkering. Fabulous day out though.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Millicent would be more awesome if they could afford to hire Clayts to fix the shitty bunkering. Fabulous day out though.
    Jim, do you reckon he'd be willing to do the work for a season pass to Crazy Horse on Hidley and a lifetime Crows membership? (he could sit in the stand and look over what they're not doing to Grange E)
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

I'll help him dig and fill in holes for a lifetime membership to the above!

Looks like the bats will be staying at home, the port-a-cot is going to take up there place in the boot
    Handicaped

www.jcgolf.com.au

Last time I was over there I stayed at Robe but played at Kingston SE.

Jim,

What do you think of Kingston SE and how long ago did you play it last? They've done lots of work down there and I think it's a great little course.

Tony

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Played McCracken recently, what a great course. Love it!

Also played TTG on the weekend, superb fairways and a nice course. Some real challenging holes.

1st tee thread for a round at Thaxted Park next month for anyone who is keen
    Handicaped

www.jcgolf.com.au

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Played Highercombe yesterday for the second time and thought to myself that I really enjoy the layout of the course. Such a diverse range of holes and a pretty challenging mix of long par 3s and undulating par 4s and 5s. Conditon is really the only thing that let's it down I think. Greens are pretty solid but prefered lie on the fairways. Anyone have any thoughts on the place?
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Cliff View Post
    Jim,

What do you think of Kingston SE and how long ago did you play it last? They've done lots of work down there and I think it's a great little course.

Tony
    Tony, it was about ten years ago, pre children. I rocked up on a Thursday morning and the course condition and setup was so good I assumed they were about to play their pro-am. They weren't, it was apparently situation normal. I ran into the curator after the round and he was a refugee from The grange or some other leading Adelaide course, a bloke named Marc Angel from memory. Is he still there? And what have they done?

I used to play the Green Triangle event regularly at Millicent, Narracoorte, Mt Gambier and Penola. I will have to try get back next year if it is still running. Although I've heard that things aren't looking flash for Mount Gambier.

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    Jim, do you reckon he'd be willing to do the work for a season pass to Crazy Horse on Hidley and a lifetime Crows membership? (he could sit in the stand and look over what they're not doing to Grange E)
    MMM, I've never been to the Crazy Horse on Hidley, but here's hoping.

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Played Highercombe yesterday for the second time and thought to myself that I really enjoy the layout of the course. Such a diverse range of holes and a pretty challenging mix of long par 3s and undulating par 4s and 5s. Conditon is really the only thing that let's it down I think. Greens are pretty solid but prefered lie on the fairways. Anyone have any thoughts on the place?
    I have played there a lot of times over the years.

I think that course has potential. It has a fantastic layout.

There are no real 'boring' holes. There are also some holes that are good 'risk reward' holes. Such as the 15th, a short par 4 where you stand elevated on a hill but the green is just shielded by trees. You can lay it up with an iron of go for the green with the driver. But there is out of bounds either side and bunkers protecting the green. There used to be a huge tree right in front of that hole but it got hit by lighting a few years back. A real shame, just added to the challenge.

The undulations can work in your favour if you know where to place your shots. Yes, the par 3's are long but again, if you hit the green it is rewarding.

I think that with some money tipped into the course it could be an real gem. It gets dry in summer and muddy in winter. Between September and December and March and June the course is neither too dry or too wet.

A good course to do your 'golf apprenticeship' on I think!

Tony, it was about ten years ago, pre children. I rocked up on a Thursday morning and the course condition and setup was so good I assumed they were about to play their pro-am. They weren't, it was apparently situation normal. I ran into the curator after the round and he was a refugee from The grange or some other leading Adelaide course, a bloke named Marc Angel from memory. Is he still there? And what have they done?
    Jim,
    I'm not sure exactly what they have done but I know there are a few new greens and I think some of the holes have been changed quite a bit. In some places you can see old tee blocks and the like. They have also I think put in a lot more mounds and troughs around the place to be a bit more punishing if you miss the fairway. The course has always been in great condition though when I've played, about 3 times now.

Flavzz,

I didn't love highercombe. That may have been because I was having a bad day, but the severe slopes just got to me. I don't mind it on some holes but all day long it does get a bit tiring. I think that the par 3's were probably the highlight of the course. Quite different holes and the long one over the creek is as tough as any par 3 i think you'll come across. As mentioned, 15th is a good hole too. I think it is a place where you could really improve your game though as you need to know how to shape your shots or be very accurate.

BTW, Matt and I recently played 14 courses on the Eyre Peninsula for SA Golf Adventure and have put up some blogs and reviews. Apart from the obvious answers of Lincoln and Whyalla, Pt Neill one of the best for the week.

Tony

Highercombe has never been a favourite of mine. those rolling fairways can be very unfair even on the best drive. Having said that, I've certainly had a few fun days with mates out there and a relatively simple course.

Anyone played North Haven or the course at Mawson lakes? I know they are both only 9 hole courses but actually look like half decent tracks from what I can see?

Played North Haven a lot Hamo when I used to live closer. It's a pretty reasonable 9 holer which I always enjoyed the layout of. 5 par 4's 3 par 3's and a single par 5. Some nice dogleg par 4s. Pretty cheap too I think about $13 for 9 holes. The challenging par 4 4th is the pick of the holes for mine protected by overhanging trees and big front bunker. The 8th is also a nice short par 4 where u can lay up or go for it over the corner. Course condition can vary but normally pretty decent and a fairly simple course for the most part.
    WITB

I don't mind North Haven having played it a couple of times. As Flavzz says, the 4th hole is definately the pick. 400 odd metres i think with no real chance to roll the ball on to the green except for the right edge. And considering it faces the South-West you wont be hitting with the breeze too often. Good, tricky hole. Have generally found it to be in reasonable condition. Not amazing, but good value.

Mawson Lakes was a different story. In ordinary condition when I played it, I wasn't at all impressed. The lay-out is poor. Too many short par 4's and too much walking. There are consecutive holes where the tee offs are in the same spot so you play the 160 odd metre par 3 then walk back to tee off for the next hole. Would be very interesting when playing in a large field. Plus, the 9th green isn't close to the clubhouse or the 10th tee off. Very strange that one.

If I had the choice I'd play North Haven every time.

(Remember to check out the website for our reviews, although you might have to read between the lines a little... www.sagolfadventure.com)

Tony

had a hit at the small course at the Pat today, havent played there in ages. Have to say found the condition rather ordinary. Biggest problem was the speed and firmness of the greens, they are ridiculously fast. COmbined with the some really tough pin positions made it tough to get putts and chips close.

Pat is easy all day everyday Hamo Funny enough the North course I never seem to score well round there, its a different frame of mind compared to the South so u tend to play worse I think. Or is it just me.. The North course when I last played it was in really good nick and like u say greens were real fast but inconsistent. Speed on the south course can be inconsistent from one green to the next, great public track still tho and happy to still be a member there.

Played Mount Lofty today and besides being a bit boggy in the fairways like all hills courses atm the greens were in amazing condition. Rolling really fast and true. Very pretty course, will have to return in spring when the course hardens up and the place comes alive a bit more..
    WITB

Hey no argument there Flavzz, only thing that makes the pat difficult is the wind. Can make it a lot more difficult. Me personally I find the south course easier and more enjoyable then the North course I also find that I take the south course more seriously. Still yes your right for public tracks they arent too bad.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I had a hit at the Pat Sth on Monday. Man the greens are coping a hammering at the mo due tho the number of rounds & soft conditions. It seemed like every putt I had an old pitch mark 2" in front of my marker. I felt lucky to shoot 6 over.

Yeah the greens do cop a fair bit Tim but I think they cope amazingly well considering they see probably close to the most traffic in SA.
    WITB

looking at going to murray bridge for a round on friday ,has anyone played there before and if so can you give us your opinion on the course .

Quote Originally Posted by mardo10 View Post
    looking at going to murray bridge for a round on friday ,has anyone played there before and if so can you give us your opinion on the course .
    Hi Mardo,

If you haven't already, check out the website for a brief review (www.sagolfadventure.com). Course was in good condition when played, but reasonably short. Should be in very good condition at the moment though and definately worth a hit. plenty of tall trees around the place.

Just a general note, Matt and I will be playing our 100th course tomorrow at Clare. Really looking forward to it, and will definately be on the home stretch then.

Tony

hey funky _cliff .didnt go to murray bridge decided to go back to balaklava had a good round went round in 91 which for me is a bloody awsome round, putted really well and my short game got me out of trouble many times ,is the balaklava course on your list to play if its not it should be
    its one of the best courses i have played , i cant believe there is a course like that in the middle of nowhere and its $20 for all day, puts some of the public courses in adelaide to shame .

Thread Information