Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 32 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1105
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Ok, last guess. Burra GC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Nope, not Burra.

The golf course pictured is..... Broken Hill.

No fair you say!

Well, culturally, socioeconomically, linguistically and chronologically, it's a SA town so, by default the course is a SA Course.

I did say there was a twist...

Senior Member Major Winner

Very sneaky HP.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Well played HP!

Speaking of playing... I played Regency recently for the first time. Really enjoyed it. In general, the course was in great condition, with the usual public course issues on the greens, but not as bad as my experiences at West Beach. I shot an 89, which is my second-best round ever! This no doubt helps with my positive vibes towards the course.

On the long par 3 14th (~170m / 5 iron into a slight breeze) I stuck this one to ~8 feet (lipped out for the birdie though)...

Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Well played HP!

Speaking of playing... I played Regency recently for the first time. Really enjoyed it. In general, the course was in great condition, with the usual public course issues on the greens, but not as bad as my experiences at West Beach. I shot an 89, which is my second-best round ever! This no doubt helps with my positive vibes towards the course.

On the long par 3 14th (~170m / 5 iron into a slight breeze) I stuck this one to ~8 feet (lipped out for the birdie though)...
    Nice one DMG! Yes, Regency has been in relatively good nick since the superway went in and they got a cash injection after losing some land. On top of that, they've got full Council backing and water's never an issue (unlike dear ol' RNHGC)..

Don't mind Regency as a course (had a 4/3 win there in Pennants this year)..

Played a social round at Sandy Creek yesterday. Weather held out nicely and ended up being pretty close to perfect (spots of sun, no wind, etc.). First time I've played there and was pretty happy overall. Reasonably forgiving course with a few challenges for my novice game. There are a few dog legs that really get you thinking off the tee (do I go Driver or long iron, etc.) as your length and placement are pretty important for the second shot. It was in great condition for a country track. Plenty of rain has helped no doubt, and even with that the greens were running really fast!

My experience on the first green was horrible, so gave up scoring my front 9 (yes, after one hole!). After starting my back 9 with a par I kept score on that and played pretty well (5 or 6 over on the back). There is a long par 3 over water (#15, ~150m) and like Regency, I managed to hit the green. I actually went a bit long with a smooth 6 iron, so had to putt downhill for the second. Was way too cautious and left it really short. Needless to say, 3 putt bogey... but very happy with my tee shot.

Played Mt Compass again on Sunday. Perfect day for it... sunny, nice temp (cool start), no wind. Perhaps that was the reason I shot my lowest ever stroke round of 87! Only lost one ball too... and can't be upset about it either as I was trying to Bubba slice it around a corner with my hybrid and it went straight... into the woods.

A few highlights...
    - Three tee shots surrounding the pin on 12 (tricky par 3 over water)! Another group told us they hated us.
    - A mate chipping off the green at 13 hit another mate's ball and went in! One of those times I wished I was filming.
    - Then for me a birdie on the last! For those that know the 18th... I drove toward the left bunkers and finished to the left edge of the first one. It was an uphill lie in semi-rough stuff. I swung a 7 iron and lost sight of it straight away. It felt solid so I just looked toward the green hoping to see it come down somewhere near the green. All of a sudden, it landed... 2.5 feet from the pin and stopped dead! Tricky little downhill slider but nailed it! What a way to finish my best ever round!

We tee'd off at 8am and again it was pretty quiet all day. I'm assuming it's the new cost of $75 a round. If you need to add a buggy to the equation, it's getting too expensive to play often. I'm a real fan of this course now that a bunch of clearing has been done but won't be playing it again for a while due to the expense. I really hope they haven't priced themselves out of business.

Cute Mumma and Baby upon arrival...
    Attached Images

Victor Harbor is $50 on Saturdays and public holiday periods, $40 any other day with a $30 twilight rate. Whilst not as good as MC the course still has plenty of good holes and affordable to the public.

If MC dropped its green fee to $60 I reckon that would be the perfect equilibrium

Just went to check on Blackwood as it's another fave of mine (for comparison)... that's now $85 for a weekend round. Ouch.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Just went to check on Blackwood as it's another fave of mine (for comparison)... that's now $85 for a weekend round. Ouch.
    Wholly **** that’s getting expensive.
    I love the course but my brain can’t connect that price and value being on the same page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Wholly **** that’s getting expensive.
    I love the course but my brain can’t connect that price and value being on the same page.
    Could not agree more mate. Time to start checking out the 'lesser known' (therefore cheaper) courses around SA...

Mt Pleasant was a shock.

Some really interesting holes. I really rate the layout and flow of holes.
    Tee blocks and fairways were nice.
    Rough was well, typical country course aka not maintained.
    Greens were bad, almost neglected bad. It's like they focused all their time and energy on the fairways.

85 off the blues. Not bad for first time playing and some questionable lines/suggestions from my playing partners on some holes.

For $30. Would play again.

Wenz: from memory I remember the captain told us they were planning on upgrading the greens but that was years ago. Some good land at MP not so sure about the layout though

Anyone played Willunga Golf Club, just wondering what its like. Im playing next week as part of the Webex tour event.

Quote Originally Posted by golfbound View Post
    Anyone played Willunga Golf Club, just wondering what its like. Im playing next week as part of the Webex tour event.
    GB: great land with some good holes. A good quality public course. If you’re in the area head up Willunga Hill and play Mt Compass

Nice. I'm heading down to watch the event. Good luck! I've always enjoyed the course. Accuracy off the tee helps. It's not overly long.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavzz View Post
    Nice. I'm heading down to watch the event. Good luck! I've always enjoyed the course. Accuracy off the tee helps. It's not overly long.
    Awesome thanks mate Im staying in the city looks like 40min drive to the course. I will be there Friday till Sunday, fly out Sunday to New Zealand. I will be there Friday till Sunday, fly out Sunday to New Zealand. Course looks flat and a little tight in places.
    Last edited by golfbound; 13th October 2023 at 06:28 PM.

Awesome thanks mate Im staying in the city looks like 40min drive to the course. I will be there Friday till Sunday, fly out Sunday to New Zealand. I will be there Friday till Sunday, fly out Sunday to New Zealand. Course looks flat and a little tight in places.
    It is quite tight in places, some fairways made to feel narrow due to being lined either side with plenty of trees - try your best to stay out of those as some leave little room to get out! There are also a couple of holes where you need to watch out for water; related to this the 4th green is usually covered with duck shite as they wander on to it from the adjacent pond. As mentioned it is not too bad at all for a public course, usually in pretty good condition too.

Played North Adelaide South yesterday. First time playing (never played North either) and I found it pretty tough to be honest. Some pretty narrow tee shots (between trees, etc.) and the greens were pretty brutal. They were rolling fast and a few elevated so hard for a chopper like me to keep the ball on them. Driving alongside side roads with flowing traffic got in my head. I managed a wicked slice on the hole that runs along War Memorial Drive and I'm pretty sure my ball ended up in the par 3 course!

Was in reasonable condition. Typical popular public course... most of the greens had multiple unrepaired divots, so spent a bit of time tidying them up. Some nice view off elevated tee boxes down fairways with city buildings in the background.

North Adelaide is brutally slow due to the numbers that play there plus, those holes near WM Dr usually have randoms walking about thinking it's the parklands. During pennants earlier this year, our group came across a couple having a picnic in the middle fairway on the 10th. We hit off at 11:00am and some groups didn't come in until after 7:00pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Pan View Post
    North Adelaide is brutally slow due to the numbers that play there plus, those holes near WM Dr usually have randoms walking about thinking it's the parklands. During pennants earlier this year, our group came across a couple having a picnic in the middle fairway on the 10th. We hit off at 11:00am and some groups didn't come in until after 7:00pm.
    Ouch! I played with a few mates that have been there often and they told me it was really quiet yesterday. We tee'd off at 930am (albeit 15 mins late) and were done in 4.5 hours. Let through a group of two, but other than that it was smooth sailing the whole way. I was expecting it to be a lot worse from the stories I've been told (similar to yours).

It's a nice course, but like you've said, it gets slow. Before moving back up here, I basically gave up playing outside of morning comp timeslots.

They're doing some work on the North course - adding irrigation to the fairways made a big difference, there was a period a while back where the fairways on some of the North course holes were better than the south due to the lower traffic. There was talk about changing the North greens to bent grass too, but I don't know if that's advanced at all. With bent greens the north course would be worth playing much more often. I think they (the council) are/were trying to get it up to a better standard to share the load more across the two courses.

Is Adelaide the most underrated golf in Australia? Played Kooyonga, Grange West & Royal Adelaide this week and it still surprises me it doesn’t get more wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    Is Adelaide the most underrated golf in Australia? Played Kooyonga, Grange West & Royal Adelaide this week and it still surprises me it doesn’t get more wraps.
    SH: probably, the hot dry climate makes for great firm and fast conditions. We are fortunate at RA with the water reclamation area adjacent to #15 (correct me Benje if I have used the incorrect terminology). So water is never an issue.

Grange West may not look spectacular but it plays really well. Kooyonga sits on really good land once you look through all the planted trees. Watch the YouTube video of it in 1920. Bring that back I say

Also reasonable on price. I find a lot of golf in oz is trying to follow the uk and us with absurd green fees. Good thing SA is keeping it real.

The limestone coast is also very underrated. So many good country tracks.

Played Glenelg last Friday. Hadn't been there since the 90's. Really enjoyed it.

As you can see below the weather was mint.

Missed out on the 4th and teeing off from the 5th tee box as their totally redoing them. As the photos below show.

Attached Images

Thread Information