Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Course Memberships (under 30s)

Hi guys,

I was on here a while ago soliciting advice regarding a membership at Strathfield. Due to a change in work circumstances, that got put on the backburner, and I think I may have missed the summer no joining fee special.

Anyway, since then i've been playing with a few social clubs, and not very satisfied with how the comps are run, or the courses being played. I've come to the conclusion that if I wanna get any better, I'll need to find a place to play in comps, a real handicap and practice facilities.

I've seen a few deals regarding membership for under 30 year olds, and noticed a few that were still pretty appealling: Oatlands, Bankstown, Cumberland, New Brighton are all within my price range. While they are all about 30-40 minutes from my current residence or work (Sydney CBD), i occassionally finish at about 3 would allow me just enough time for a sneaky 9 holes after work on occassion, and i generally don't mind planning my golf days in advance. I used to be a member at Ashlar and am quite fond of that course but that is about 30 min too far.

Anyone have any insights in what the membership are like at these places, how easy it is to get weekend tee times and general quality of the course? Are there any other places I should consider?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Oatlands is by far the most private and, as a result, quietest of those clubs, which would help you get more holes in after work. A very friendly membership, too (since Pup left ), nice clubhouse and returing nines, so when playimng 9 after work, you could change up the nine you played.

Depending how close to 30 you are, it i always worth looking at the over-30 rates to see if you will be able to afford to stay at the club in the long run.

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

CSB, what does Cumbo offer for u/30s? I know their full membership is reasonably affordable, but can't find any info on u/30 offers on their website.

Scottt: I still got a good 5 years left to take advantage of the under 24-29 no joining fee deal. How is the condition of the course at Oatlands generally speaking?

KristianJ: Actually, Cumberland don't have any under 30 specials, but their 7 day subscription + joining fee is still comparably priced to to an Oatlands under-30-membership so thats why I listed it there.

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

I see...thanks for clarifying. Oatlands does look quite appealing, but not sure if the full 30 and over rate is something I'd be able to sustain. I gather you've cited New Brighton in a similar manner?

yeah and bankstown sorry haha.

the full rate at oatlands hits you at 35, but the $1000 jump from under 30 to 30-35 could be a bit of a shock as well.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by CSB View Post
    yeah and bankstown sorry haha.

the full rate at oatlands hits you at 35, but the $1000 jump from under 30 to 30-35 could be a bit of a shock as well.
    CSB, guess the $1000 could be a shock but you have got to back yourself that financially you will be in a better position at 30 than you were at 20-25. If you aren't its easy enough to chuck it in.

I would try and join a bit aspirationally, maybe pay a little more but get the course you want.

Thread Information