Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default OzGolf Matchplay - Tournament conditions and nominations.

Well seeings everyone is excited about this,  here we go.

Ozgolf Matchplay Rules.

updates in Bold 18/05/05

1.  Major event:  Regions.   The event will be played out in different regions, eg Sydney, SEQ, and so on.   If any area can come up with the numbers (ie 8)  then go ahead and join in.

2.  Minor Event: National Titles.  The winner of the largest region has the right to host a national title against other finalists at time and place of his/her reasonable choosing, or whatever, this is not the main event.

3. Individuals will arrange their own matches at a mutually agreed course.  Its expected No golfer will insist on playing at their own club (see #4: appeal).  In the interests of camaraderie try and stick to official Ozgolf days.

4.  There will be a set date for each round of matches to be played.  If a match is not played both competitors are disqualified, unless one forfeits.  A player may appeal this to the committee should he think the opponent did not make fair effort to arrange a match.
    Approx 1 to 2 months will be given to arrange a match, about 12 months for the whole event.

After round 1,  any player who withdraws from the event, his previous opponent takes his place - time permitting.

5.  Full AGU Handicap as at the date of the match applies, verifiable by golf link or other official source.    AGU matchplay index to be used, download here  www.theblake.net/ftp/MatchplayIndex.pdf

Note: The index applies in accordance with the order that your match plays the holes.  The 1st hole on the matchplay index is your First hole, even if you tee of the 10th.  See explanatory notes and index this page.

6. The matches will be seeded as per the POTY money list as at date of the draw. If golfers are not on the money list then seeded according to number of posts to forum, then by random.

7. Matches halved at the 18th hole to be played sudden death.  Where this is not feasable, work something out or replay another day.

8. Cost is $2 per player per match except the final.   1st, 2nd and 3rd will receive a winners check of 60%, 30% and 10% respectively.  Money to be deposited to a bank account somewhere.

9. POTY money:

paid to loser at end of round.
    QLd

Round 1: ....$2000
    Round 2: ....$4000
    Qtr: ...........$8000
    Semi : .......$16000
    Final : ........$32000 & Winner $64000

NSW

Round 1: ....$2000
    Qtr: ...........$4000
    Semi: ........$8000
    Final : ........$16000 & Winner $32000

Note: if matches are played in conjunction with other Ozgolf days, the matchplay money will be offset against the other money,  ie the higher amount only will be paid.

10. Nominations to be received by the 20/3/05,  draw will be released by 31/3/05.  Please nominate your freinds if you know that they will want to play, and we can see if we can kick it off earlier.

11. Eligibility,  Ozgolf members and their partners/families. No ring ins.

12. Numbers in each pool should be limited to 4,8, 16, 32 etc.  To fit as many in as we can, there will either be a small number of byes in the first round, or a small number of reserves.  eg if there are 14 players, there will be two byes,  if 19 players there will be 3 reserves.

14. Sponsorship welcome.  

15. Suggestions please

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake
    As far is i can tell, the following people might not know about it yet.

20 Senecio 28
    21 Kee 32
    26 Brooky17 46
    29 Griz 100
    MTB, I know about it and Davidp has already contacted me about organising something between us. At the moment, we are going to play our match during the Woodford day.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas
    Compulsory? Did I miss something? I never nominated for this. No interest, no time, no thanks. Count me out.
    I am really surprised, thought yuo would be keen to play in the odd ozgolf day. So you are not going to play in any ozgolf day in the next 2.5 months?
    After the Wynnum round, I probably won't be playing much for a few months. Hence the reason why I didn't nominate for this thing.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas
    I probably won't be playing much for a few months
    Well there you go, you only need to play once in a few months, thats less than much

and you could have the opportunity to say
    "regrettably darling i cant lay turf/paint house/build fence today, i have been forced to play golf and i dont have a choice"
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Re: OzGolf Matchplay - Tournament conditions and nominations

updates in Bold 29/3/05
    Shouldn't you let people know when you change the rules?

After round 1, any player who withdraws from the event, his previous opponent takes his place - time permitting.
    What about the highest seeded loser from the previous round instead?

8. Cost is $2 per player per match except the final. 1st, 2nd and 3rd will receive a winners check of 60%, 30% and 10% respectively. Money to be deposited to a bank account somewhere.
    Do you have to pay for a bye?
    Have those that have already played paid up?

You've got a lot of POTY cash on offer there, Blakey. You don't think it is too much?
    When you play a match against someone, do you get money for playing the match, and taking part in an OZgolf day?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

OK - who is collecting the cashola? I'm happy to collect and hold onto the money for the NSW side of the draw.

- was discussed in another thread - nothing was changed - besides nobody reads it anyway.

- nah.

- no, no, i have been meaning to bring that up.

- thought about that for a long time, many different connotations. in the end its a huge event with 32 players, so No. Yes.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

- was discussed in another thread - nothing was changed - besides nobody reads it anyway.
    How about if I add the conditions/rules to the results/draw sticky, and drop this as a sticky? (One less sticky would be nice)
    You can feed any updates to the conditions to me and I will edit the sticky.

BTW thanks for making me flick between my questions on the previous page and your answers.

Senior Member Major Winner

Why is the QLD winner awarded $64k and the NSW winner $32k??

Yet another way of rigging this "system"

Let's have some equality, yeah?

becuase NSW have half as many players, thats as equal as i could work it.

in a normal 32 player field, the winner would get $48000
    for 16 players, winner would get $24000.

doesnt get any more complicated than that.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan
    Why is the QLD winner awarded $64k and the NSW winner $32k??
    Probably because it is a bigger field.
    The same for every other OZgolf event, the more people the more money.
    That said, maybe it should be $58K, as there is only 29 participants in Qld.

becuase NSW have half as many players.
    ....and?

The winner of comp A deserves to win as much as the winner of comp B. Jiggle around the early rounds as much as you want, but semi's and finals are just as important - you still win a 'title'.

Why don't you call QLD's Round 1 a "qualifying" round. Therefore round "2" is the start of the real deal.

You know it makes sense

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

becuase NSW have half as many players.
    ....and?

The winner of comp A deserves to win as much as the winner of comp B. Jiggle around the early rounds as much as you want, but semi's and finals are just as important - you still win a 'title'.

Why don't you call QLD's Round 1 a "qualifying" round. Therefore round "2" is the start of the real deal.

You know it makes sense
    Good point

I'd be happy with that

It's either that or make the final ONLY worth the same amount. Can't say that the QLD final will be any more / less tense for any competitor.

I thought it was a pretty wholesome idea - i guess that's why there hasn't been any other replies

nice try
    --
    Handy-Cap

nice try
    Not a great way of qualifying the current system.

Got anything else?

nice try
    I still think its a fair request,

who is on the match committee anyway

Kev - if i may edit your post?

Quote Originally Posted by Onewood
    who from NSW is on the match committee anyway

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

It's either that or make the final ONLY worth the same amount. Can't say that the QLD final will be any more / less tense for any competitor.

I thought it was a pretty wholesome idea - i guess that's why there hasn't been any other replies
    But the Qld winner (if not one of the top 3) would have won,one more match

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

who is on the match committee anyway
    match committee for the Matchplay or for the POTY - thats two different and independant things !

Matchplay committee- whoever wants to is welcome. I do beleive Amanda has volunteered and Andyp goes without saying. Macleod is also putting something into this. So there you have 4 and thats a quorum.

POTY committee - the people that pay for the trophy are on this committee. Should anyone like to join the POTY committee please volunteer your donation, thanks!

The POTY committee decided that the money to be allocated to the Matchplay would be same as the normal pool. under the current method in a large field event, say 32, the 2nd and 4th place would get $31000 and $29000 respectively. Hardly adequate reward for going that one extra round in the matchplay.

Therefore the committee worked it out based on double money for each round, the end result was a bit more money for both qld and nsw.

If someone would like to research and post the breakdown for the World Matchplay Championship, i will adopt that method instead.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Look - i agree with the more matches side of the story, but i think the winners cheque should be equal(ish?).

Don't say we're not as passionate - just look at Jono and Trung, and they're not even competing against each other

What about double-or-nothing on the State of Origin result??

I was agreeing to the first round of the QLD matchplay being a Qualifying round, as there where 3 bye's anyway, therefore not really a full round of 32

Now everything is evan QLD 16, NSW 16, Money the same :P

I was agreeing to the first round of the QLD matchplay being a Qualifying round, as there where 3 bye's anyway, therefore not really a full round of 32

Now everything is evan QLD 16, NSW 16, Money the same :P
    So...... if one of the recipients of the BYE's goes through to win, they should (on Tez's logic) effectively only receive the same amount of dough that NSW draw receives.

That's fair?

what about the Victorians

there's only a handful of them ... should the winner of that comp get the same amount of money as the winner of the NSW division

i think the prizemoney has to be relative to the size of the field :P
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro

there's only a handful of them ... should the winner of that comp get the same amount of money as the winner of the NSW division

Sorry Jarro I havent seen the Victorian draw so I cant relate to the size of that draw to what we are discussing here

I just thought due to the size of the fields we get, to the size of the fields in NSW it would be a good way to boost there earnings

At the moment it's more like the US tour and the Europeon tour thats all

It's a lot easier for us to get onto a course with numbers, then it is in Sydney. it just seem that the NSW members are falling further behind and this would be a good chance to let them make up some ground or alternative is slit it into 2 tours, maybe thats the way to go........

any thoughts on that

Quote Originally Posted by jarro

Last i looked there wasn't a Victorian comp?

But here's an idea for the Vic's - make it a Round-Robin. After 4 games each, the winner is declared on a top of the table basis, with for-and-against.

That would be worth the $$$.

Sometimes you have to think outside your little bitty square Jarro

Thread Information