Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GC Burleigh

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default GC Burleigh

All,

You are probably sick of discussing GC courses however would appreciate your thoughts on GC Burleigh

My old Sydney club has just been made a reciprocal. 20 of us are on tour in March in Byron and have one game to play on the Gold Coast before we fly out. A lot want to play The Glades (we can get a good deal), I could be bothered having played it a dozen times.

I have never played GC Burleigh, to be honest I had never heard of it. I have played the usuals Lakelands, Palm Meadows, Robina, Royal Pines, The Glades and Hope Island as points of reference for a contrast to GC Burleigh

Will the boys be disappointed playing GC Burleigh and missing The Glades, leaving any costs out of the equation?

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    All,

Will the boys be disappointed playing GC Burleigh and missing The Glades, leaving any costs out of the equation?
    I think they will, i feel the Glades is by far a better course both with presentation and the greens.
    RIP 1980-2013

It's a good members track. It isn't a resort course tho, like the others you've mentioned.
    I think it's a good track, and i don't really get too excited about some of the resort courses, so i would play it. However depends on what the people in your group are expecting.

GC i've always found the greens at Burleigh to be pretty good...
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The greens died at burleigh heads a couple of years ago, the Greenkeeper was sacked (rumours) and they have been crap ever since.

Spoke to a member last weekend, he said they have just come back and they are as good as ever. If you like fast greens, this course is the one.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Boys, thanks, **** it, I reckon we will chance the arm and put the savings over the bar

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

CDU mentioned he joined here the other day and got me thinking about it. Any recent reports on the club and how it is going?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Other than The Grand, its my favourite course on the coast. Great driving course, but driving for workability. Greens are tough to read when slower. Use just about every club in the bag (except 3 wood as I don't carry one). Wind affects the course big time and makes it tough
    when it's up. A mix of big greens and small ones. Most of the par 3's are tiered. Close to home and cheap grog. This course makes you think twice.
    CLEVELAND TL310 8.5* Grafalloy Blue X
    18* BALDO Competzione Graf Blue X
    I:Cleveland 588 Pro CB KBS X
    W: Ping Glide 3.0 KBS X
    P:Wilson 8802
    B:TP5
    B:Titleist Staff Stand
    S: Air Jordan 5

Ferrins, have walked around it twice the last couple months. Like everywhere its wet in spots but everythings going fine and I understand they have some membership specials on, as do Southport and Surfers.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Ferrins, have walked around it twice the last couple months. Like everywhere its wet in spots but everythings going fine and I understand they have some membership specials on, as do Southport and Surfers.
    True. The 1st and 18th are the dampest as of late.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Can you hit your own balls at the range?

not sure. i'll hafta ask. saw some guys picking up balls out there. either that or bloody mushrooms for dinner

Played there a few weeks ago, quite an open course very forgiving off the tee, par 3s are longish, green were very good not many bunkers.

On a scale using The Glades as 10, I'd rate Burleigh 3, I wouldnt say it was a better course than either Coolangatta Tweeds 2 tracks as mentioned above, easier and more forgiving yes, better?? no.

If you want something different and spectacular, play Brookwater its not a hard course IMO but very very penalising off the tee, miss the fairway don't even bother trying to find it.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

39 where are you a member

Nudgee Plate /McLeod Cup

The battle field

Coolangatta Tweed is where I can be found

It explains your view

Nudgee Plate /McLeod Cup

The battle field

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckDownUnder View Post
    True. The 1st and 18th are the dampest as of late.
    You mean the bog between the 1st and the 18th I think? the fairways were fine. During the last round of pennant a month ago, that spot was its usual ball magnet, We lost 3 shoes and one caddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Can you hit your own balls at the range?
    Unlikely, its a pay for a bucket range, and only about 170m long so for you a 6 iron, since when did you care about practice anyway.
    p.s. Mention Ozgolf in the pro shop for a discount or a completely blank look.

Quote Originally Posted by 39for9 View Post
    On a scale using The Glades as 10, I'd rate Burleigh 3, I wouldnt say it was a better course than either Coolangatta Tweeds 2 tracks as mentioned above, easier and more forgiving yes, better?? no.
    Burleigh is a more difficult course than CTH in spades
    --
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by peter_rs View Post
    It explains your view
    Have you played both Burleigh and CT??

if you have you'd agree with me that Burleigh is no way anywhere near as good as or as hard as Coolangatta?? not even close look at the bunkering around tweed, doglegs everywhere, hell on the river course theres only 1 maybe 2 par 4s and 5s that you can see the green from the tee?

It takes precision off the tee to play well at CT, at Burleigh you can be anywhere on the fairway without a problem going for the green with your next shot?

MTB your on crack.

Why can I play Burleigh site unseen off the plates and shoot 83 (only played it once) and not hit it really well, yet at CT I struggle to break 80 even when I hit every fairway off the tee??

Burleigh harder than CT, nah I don't think so?

Blog Entries

Because you are awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Because you are awesome?
    nah its cause CT is way harder, the west greens are lightning when they shave them, and they have massive undulation in them, Burligh from memory had maybe 1 or 2 greens with lots of break, 18 was the most severe from memory??

Blog Entries

18 is crazy.

your crazy

18 is perhaps one of the tamest greens on the course. Maybe he played Burleigh Palms instead, the par 3 track in west Burleigh.

Tom Waterhouse around? What odds will you give this guy lasting a week?
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Does he own vending machines?
    I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by 39for9 View Post
    Have you played both Burleigh and CT??

if you have you'd agree with me that Burleigh is no way anywhere near as good as or as hard as Coolangatta?? not even close look at the bunkering around tweed, doglegs everywhere, hell on the river course theres only 1 maybe 2 par 4s and 5s that you can see the green from the tee?

It takes precision off the tee to play well at CT, at Burleigh you can be anywhere on the fairway without a problem going for the green with your next shot?
    Have played both. Ct more as I was reciprocal from toowoomba

And would still disagree with you, CT is an easy course as it doesn't ask you to hit driver, a choppa can hit a hybrid all day long and score... I did in my last round on the river.... It is tight but that takes away from the shot making of the recover. I perfer the west it has more interesting holes

I was thinking of playing burleigh again shortly. From memory it only had one dinky hole straight up hill par 4 maybe 250 with a fence and on right.

83 Isn't a smashing 80 score.

Ps do you play many courses if the glades was the 10 on your scale.

Nudgee Plate /McLeod Cup

The battle field

Thread Information