Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 114 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I had Lendl line me up with a forehand pass which I ducked under and the ball hit the backdrop at Milton center court without dropping an inch. I had Agassi line me up and he collected me. So from 1st hand experience I give speed to Lendl and accuracy to Agassi.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Lendl's favourite trick was smashing practise partners with his huge forehand, had a really warped sense of humour according to an ex Junior world champ i spoke to. Others included getting his numerous attack dogs to bail you up inside the practise courts at his house while he went and started his meals after a long practise session, taking you deep into NY until you were lost on push bike rides then burning you off and leaving you and last but not least trying to hit your dad with tennis balls everytime he turned his back working as your ballboy. One apparently particularly memorable (to Ivan) occasion included hitting him solidly in the nuts LOL
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Major Winner

Wow TNO and Tom, you guys know your tennis.

I've always wondered; why do some players struggle on clay? Uneven bounce?

Struggling on clay is generally related to inexperience with understanding how to move correctly. This leads to imbalance which makes you work harder to cover the court and also apply enough weight on your shots.

Senior Member Major Winner

So it's about your shoes gripping? Kuerten (sp) was always good on clay. Not a big guy. Wouldn't it make sense that the smaller players would be good on clay?

Gripping on grass but sliding on clay.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Wow TNO and Tom, you guys know your tennis.

I've always wondered; why do some players struggle on clay? Uneven bounce?

Ferrin makes a great point about movement, and the other big thing is the slowness and bounce of the court. Balls really sit up.

Serve volleyers and net attackers like Mc'Enroe and Sampras had their effectiveness lessened dramatically. Serves sit up and baseliners have time to not only return good serves but often spank them. Same in baseline rallies, it's hard for the attacker to get into net effectively, and the minute they were stuck at the back of the court the baseliners such as Lendl, Wilander, Borg, Bruguera, Muster and Kuerten gained the upper hand.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    Can't believe i forgot that article link

http://rjamesyork.blogspot.com/2009/...t-who-has.html
    TNO I just read that and it doesn't actually make sense. If you see the photo of lendl and fed side by side you see how compact lendl forehand and how close that elbow is tucked to his side and see how far feds elbow is away. So that guy doesn't really know what he is talking about.

Sorry mate I think that article is alittle off. No offence good to see how you use the internet to look stuff up.
    Dodging bullets since 2003

WITB

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Is it time to poke the bear yet?
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Tomson View Post
    TNO I just read that and it doesn't actually make sense. If you see the photo of lendl and fed side by side you see how compact lendl forehand and how close that elbow is tucked to his side and see how far feds elbow is away. So that guy doesn't really know what he is talking about.

Sorry mate I think that article is alittle off. No offence good to see how you use the internet to look stuff up.
    The article is more about the grip and type of shot they hit than claiming they are mirror images technically. Lendl and Federer both use a lot of top yet still hit the ball with blistering speed. It's a good article considering the enormous challenge he took on. You'll also see Nadal has an extended arm vs his sidekick tho they are in the same bracket.

I've got more tennis shit (books, vids, match dvd's, mags etc) here than you would believe but can't be arsed scanning articles and cutting dvd's. Lendl's my fave ever and i would have a few dozen of his matches and countless hours of extended highlights.

Wouldn't mind that game for a laff and experience tho, you're in NQ?
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

The article is more about the grip and type of shot they hit than claiming they are mirror images technically. Lendl and Federer both use a lot of top yet still hit the ball with blistering speed. It's a good article considering the enormous challenge he took on. You'll also see Nadal has an extended arm vs his sidekick tho they are in the same bracket.

I've got more tennis shit (books, vids, match dvd's, mags etc) here than you would believe but can't be arsed scanning articles and cutting dvd's. Lendl's my fave ever and i would have a few dozen of his matches and countless hours of extended highlights.

Wouldn't mind that game for a laff and experience tho, you're in NQ?
    I would be really happy for you to make up some articles and dvd's to show me where I am going wrong. The article you put up before is still off the mark though.

You mentioned something about Ken Hick before did you get lessons from him? I remeber him from the gladestone players.

I'm up for a game anytime maybe I could show you in person what we have been discussing on here. I'm in FNQ as well anytime you're up here.

WITB

I would be really happy for you to make up some articles and dvd's to show me where I am going wrong. The article you put up before is still off the mark though.

You mentioned something about Ken Hick before did you get lessons from him? I remember him from the Gladstone players.

I'm up for a game anytime maybe I could show you in person what we have been discussing on here. I'm in FNQ as well anytime you're up here.
    I'll scour around online the next couple of days and try to find a couple of pic series i am after.

Got a lesson off Ken about 5 years ago when i was still playing, very fine coach and has turned out a few decent players. A real stroke technician. I was actually getting my right foot too far forward on open stance forehands, wasn't leaning into slice backhands and was a bit flicky on the topspin backhand.

I'd appreciate a game if i ever get there. I lived in Charters Towers for years and have a cousin in Townsville. Much appreciate the offer Tomo.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I'll scour around online the next couple of days and try to find a couple of pic series i am after.

Got a lesson off Ken about 5 years ago when i was still playing, very fine coach and has turned out a few decent players. A real stroke technician. I was actually getting my right foot too far forward on open stance forehands, wasn't leaning into slice backhands and was a bit flicky on the topspin backhand.

I'd appreciate a game if i ever get there. I lived in Charters Towers for years and have a cousin in Townsville. Much appreciate the offer Tomo.
    Excellent let me know if you want me to point you in the direction of a few people that can help you with your information that you seek.

Never saw Ken coach so I can't comment if he was a real stroke technican.

What level coach are you TNO?

WITB

Excellent let me know if you want me to point you in the direction of a few people that can help you with your information that you seek.

Never saw Ken coach so I can't comment if he was a real stroke technican.

What level coach are you TNO?
    See how i go over the weekend mate.

He is indeed, but of course there's nothing like personal experience.

No level here, just lived and breathed tennis for various life periods. Had the chance about 6 years ago to take it up but didn't want to hold down two jobs.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

See how i go over the weekend mate.

He is indeed, but of course there's nothing like personal experience.

No level here, just lived and breathed tennis for various life periods. Had the chance about 6 years ago to take it up but didn't want to hold down two jobs.
    I was a coach, my dad is still a coach so I do have a background in it. We used to own a court until 6 years ago and thats when I stopped it was to hard to organise courts.

I trained at Coops, and also had the privilige of doing some time with the former Tennis Aust Director of Coaching & President.

My dad was a coach before I was born so I think from the first time I could hold a racquet I started to learn. 30 years later I still love the game. So nothing like a bit of personal experience there.

So I'm looking forward to you showing me something I don't.

WITB

I was a coach, my dad is still a coach so I do have a background in it. We used to own a court until 6 years ago and thats when I stopped it was to hard to organise courts.

I trained at Coops, and also had the privilige of doing some time with the former Tennis Aust Director of Coaching & President.

My dad was a coach before I was born so I think from the first time I could hold a racquet I started to learn. 30 years later I still love the game. So nothing like a bit of personal experience there.

So I'm looking forward to you showing me something I don't.
    Great background, and kudo's for that. Very impressive.

Stats still prove however that Federer's forehand is more effective than his backhand. Day in day out it gets the job done over the course of a match and a Tourney. While it's technicalities are open to personal interpretation it's effectiveness isn't. It will also overshadow both Agassi's and Sampras' where it counts.

You actually said it's "not a weapon like other peoples", well many see it as better. John McEnroe called it the "greatest shot in our sport", and the best forehand ever.

Rare is the match that it doesn't get the job done in. Rarely if ever has such a mixture of cracking pace and wicked topspin been seen.

He's quite possibly a once in a lifetime player.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Great background, and kudo's for that. Very impressive.

Stats still prove however that Federer's forehand is more effective than his backhand. Day in day out it gets the job done over the course of a match and a Tourney. While it's technicalities are open to personal interpretation it's effectiveness isn't. It will also overshadow both Agassi's and Sampras' where it counts.

You actually said it's "not a weapon like other peoples", well many see it as better. John McEnroe called it the "greatest shot in our sport", and the best forehand ever.

Rare is the match that it doesn't get the job done in. Rarely if ever has such a mixture of cracking pace and wicked topspin been seen.

He's quite possibly a once in a lifetime player.
    His forehand is still not technically correct.

WITB

His forehand is still not technically correct.
    More in the forward swing than the backswing tho. Would we agree there?
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

The backswing is the problem. The forward part is what saves it everytime. See how high he gets the racquet, big tick on that.

If you get the chance have a look a fernando gonzalez forehand, very nice.

WITB

Fernando has one of the highest windups i have ever seen. Incredible power from it and one of the great forehands for sure.

FG

In this clip we can see Fed has a much lower loop on the backswing. Incredible raqcuet head speed as well.

Fed
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Some incredible Fed forehands

Fedex
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

TNO, Those videos show how far feds elbow gets away from his body. Not something that I would teach kids. I think that all the great forehands even Gonzalez you see the elbow tucked in, even if the wind up is alittle big the elbow is still tucked in on impact. You can also see on a couple of feds forehands when he gets close to the net he seem to wrap his follow through round his body instead of getting that follow through high.

Cheers on the video's that shows my point.

WITB

Bradman supposedly wasn't a technically correct batsman but seemed to go alright.

I don't understand all the intricacies of this thread but can't we celebrate diversity in styles? Without being a tennis expert my questions would be regarding any player:
    Does the technique work?
    Is it repeatable?
    Is it effective?
    Is it going to make the player more prone to injury?
    Will the player be able to play at their best with this technique?

(Probably can ask those questions about any sport.)
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

Thats a good point briswesty. If you practice something often enough you can make it look good. Only the pundits would know if its right or wrong.

I just find it alittle hard to see from a "technical" point of view people saying that Federer's forehand is the best the game has seen when there have been so many more forehands that have been more technically correct.

I think Federer is "one" of the greatest players ever to grace a court, but I find it had to say he is the best when so many other factors play a part of being the best player ever. I could not even give you an answer to the question "who is the greatest player ever" as I think that there has been so many great players to play this wonderful game.

Enough of this tennis talk lets get back to golf.

WITB

TNO, Those videos show how far feds elbow gets away from his body. Not something that I would teach kids.
    On the forward swing.

I think that all the great forehands even Gonzalez you see the elbow tucked in, even if the wind up is alittle big the elbow is still tucked in on impact.
    Gonzalez has a MUCH bigger windup then Federer. I think we might now agree that Fed's backswing is quite fine. It's reasonably compact really.

I 100% agree he hits the ball further from his body with the flying elbow than is modern convention. It would not be the model for teaching, certainly not on the forward swing. No debate there. Strangely enough Nadal is also very similar.

You can also see on a couple of feds forehands when he gets close to the net he seem to wrap his follow through round his body instead of getting that follow through high.
    Would you say Fernando does similar in the video above? Those shots of Fed's were going for winners, but i follow your point - not technically perfect. Fair call.

Cheers on the video's that shows my point.
    They show a lot of mine too. I think we're actually close to being in the same boat on the technical side now.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Thread Information