Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Default State by State.... what is the best value golf in Australia

I have often been surprised by the prices some of the East Coast courses charge for golf.

Are there bargains to be found?

What represents the best value golf in your state.

For me, in WA, the clear nominees have to be:

Kennedy Bay, $45.

A top 10-15 course in Australia. You can generally get access apart from Sat AM, and the conditioning is now back to first rate. For me, I doubt anything could be better value.

Binningup, $15

Sure it is a 9 hole layout. But it is arguably Australia's best 9 hole layout. And for $15 you would struggle to get 9 holes on a shitty suburban track full of yobbo's. Binningup is a stunning course, incredibly quiet and you can play all day for the same price.

So, what else is out there? This thread might help fellow OzGolfers when they are playing in other states too.
    Naturally grippy

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Barny Dunes - a World top 30 standard course (from what I am told) for $120 for a day ticket is spectacular.

As a point of reference, Royal St George's charges £184 (about AU$360 at the current rate) for all-day golf, but that does include a pretty spectacular, three-course lunch with a show-stopping three-roast main.

Blog Entries

Is Australia home of some of the best value golf in the world then Scottt?

Even though I did not play when I was in Ireland, I was pretty shocked by the steep prices some of the premier layouts charged.
    Naturally grippy

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    Barny Dunes - a World top 30 standard course (from what I am told) for $120 for a day ticket is spectacular.

As a point of reference, Royal St George's charges £184 (about AU$360 at the current rate) for all-day golf, but that does include a pretty spectacular, three-course lunch with a show-stopping three-roast main.
    I reckon after 18 holes and a big lunch, you'd be lucky to get back on the course, no matter how good it was. I'd take the 18, lunch and bed package thanks.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    I have often been surprised by the prices some of the East Coast courses charge for golf.
    So you shouldn't be surprised by how much contempt I have for golf courses over here.

Seems to me that the Murray river courses are the best value in Australia, names like Cobram, Yarrawonga, Rich River. I have never been there but they rate highly with anyone that I know that has, and they are always favourably mentioned in the golf magazines.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    So you shouldn't be surprised by how much contempt I have for golf courses over here.
    I know it is a touchy subject as much of this forum is Qld based, but from what I am told by others who have golfed in Qld, you guys are getting a raw deal.
    Naturally grippy

Exactly, its getting so bad there is talk of introducing a sales tax on any golf items exported out of qld to compensate.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Blog Entries

That warrants a please explain?
    Naturally grippy

Is Australia home of some of the best value golf in the world then Scottt?

Even though I did not play when I was in Ireland, I was pretty shocked by the steep prices some of the premier layouts charged.
    Ireland is stupidly expensive for everything, golf included. Ireland, Scandanavia (Copenhagen and Helsinki) and Moscow are the most crazy expensive places I have been, they put London to shame.

Thankfully I managed not to pay the rack rate for any of the courses I visited in Ireland in October, but they are steep.

Britain is much better, IMO, and in short breaks down that for low-level basic courses you get screwed compared to Australia (very little less than £25 for 18 holes, so $50+), but at the better courses, I think the prices are pretty fair.

There are many ways around the worst prices. For instance, in summer when it's not dark until after 10pm, most clubs do a twilight rate after 3pm, so plenty of sunlight to get around in and up to 50% of the green fee.

You pay overs for golf near London just because it's such a huge, prosperous city that they can get away with it, but in some rural areas, you're playing World Top 100 standard courses and getting change from £70-80, which is pretty bloody good.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaWatty View Post
    I reckon after 18 holes and a big lunch, you'd be lucky to get back on the course, no matter how good it was. I'd take the 18, lunch and bed package thanks.
    In any event involving the member, who view the golf as something that complements the lunch and not vice versa, the afternoon round is generally foursomes.

But trust me, a sunny day at RSG - it would take wild horses to keep you from going out after lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Seems to me that the Murray river courses...they are always favourably mentioned in the golf magazines.
    Coverage in magazines is very closely linked to advertising expenditure. It's sad but true.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    Ireland is stupidly expensive for everything, golf included. Ireland, Scandanavia (Copenhagen and Helsinki) and Moscow are the most crazy expensive places I have been, they put London to shame.

Thankfully I managed not to pay the rack rate for any of the courses I visited in Ireland in October, but they are steep.

Britain is much better, IMO, and in short breaks down that for low-level basic courses you get screwed compared to Australia (very little less than £25 for 18 holes, so $50+), but at the better courses, I think the prices are pretty fair.

There are many ways around the worst prices. For instance, in summer when it's not dark until after 10pm, most clubs do a twilight rate after 3pm, so plenty of sunlight to get around in and up to 50% of the green fee.

You pay overs for golf near London just because it's such a huge, prosperous city that they can get away with it, but in some rural areas, you're playing World Top 100 standard courses and getting change from £70-80, which is pretty bloody good.
    I agree about Ireland, outrageously expensive. London must have come off the boil since I was there a few years ago. I like that the sound of the twilight rates, that is the best time of day to play golf anyway.
    Naturally grippy

I agree about Ireland, outrageously expensive. London must have come off the boil since I was there a few years ago. I like that the sound of the twilight rates, that is the best time of day to play golf anyway.
    Exactly right. In summer I can work a full day (if I am on early shift) and still get in 18 holes at a course 30min by train from work and be done by dark).

I reckon it's a fair trade for the torture of it being dark by 3.30pm for most of December and January!

Back on topic, I nominate Penrith GC as the best value membership I have seen. $900 for 15 months when I joined in early 2007, and I am told they are still doing that offer.

The course is seriously good, IMO, and would be much higher rated and loved if it were closer to the city.

The Murray does indeed offer very good value.

I would think Cape Shanck at $35 is among the best value in Victoria.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    The Murray does indeed offer very good value.

I would think Cape Shanck at $35 is among the best value in Victoria.
    ST ANDREWS BEACH at $60 is a steal.

QLD is a rip, i payed $40 to play lakelands the other day - what a f*0kn ripoff. After not playing that course a long time, i forgot how much of a 'nothing' track it is - and to think their rate is $150+

Victorian rural courses are the best value in Australia for mine (that i've found) so pearla courses that if you play in the comp are a max of $10, that's a steal. But Mornington has great value aswell.
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

As a member of a sandbelt club, I can play Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, Metro, Victoria, Yarra Yarra. Peninsuls Nth/Sht, Huntingdale for $60 pretty much any time of the year.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Here's some for Victoria that I've played:

Port Fairy - lovely seaside course for $30, and has very cheap memberships to top it off. I doubt there's a better value track in Australia.
    Murray Downs - one of the best conditioned public tracks I've seen for $35 and has 50% reciprocal rights with a huge number of courses
    Queenscliff - Interesting, quiet island course with wildlife and pretty scenery - $25
    Horsham - well, before the fire it was a pretty country track in excellent nick for $35. Probably still is today.

Lots more value on the Murray too, especially if you start including accommodation or talking about golf packages. Tocumwal, Yarrawonga and a few others are all exceptional value.

Cape Schanck at $35 also sounds like a steal. Haven't played there though.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

The resort courses in SEQ are expensive. However membership at the suburban tracks is cheap, and in most cases you can play other courses open days for around $20-30. Compared to yearly subs in some places I reckon it is pretty good here.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Yarrawonga cost me about $45 for the Lakes course in non-peak time earlier this year - I expected slightly less expensive.

You can do accommodation deals for about $90 per person per day including breakfact and unlimited golf though, so value is to be had.

Narooma is about $40 a round midweek. An absolute bargain.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

And Adlo - I concur with KB and Binningup. Sensational bang for your buck with both of them.

KB - where else in the world could you play a national Top 10 Public Access track for less than $50?

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kpac View Post
    ST ANDREWS BEACH at $60 is a steal.

QLD is a rip, i payed $40 to play lakelands the other day - what a f*0kn ripoff. After not playing that course a long time, i forgot how much of a 'nothing' track it is - and to think their rate is $150+

Victorian rural courses are the best value in Australia for mine (that i've found) so pearla courses that if you play in the comp are a max of $10, that's a steal. But Mornington has great value aswell.
    You think $40 to play a round is a rip off? Or the rack rate is a rip off? Agree with the second, but $40 is pretty good to play a well kept track.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    As a member of a sandbelt club, I can play Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, Metro, Victoria, Yarra Yarra. Peninsuls Nth/Sht, Huntingdale for $60 pretty much any time of the year.
    we have a winner.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

When I first got here, I was able to play Long Reef with my old student card for $12. That blew me away.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    we have a winner.
    Nah, that's a false economy when you take into account the annual membership cost you need to pay to get those discounts.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Larry, what I paid in annual subs is a bargain for what I get. Of course its all relative and others will say the $3k a year I pay is too much/wast of money etc which I fully understand.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Larry, what I paid in annual subs is a bargain for what I get. Of course its all relative and others will say the $3k a year I pay is too much/wast of money etc which I fully understand.
    Jack, I would guess you probably play over 100 rounds a year, so I would think 3k is a bargain for your home course & the Sandbelt card. (+ your reciprocals - if you ever travelled)

Thread Information